Author Topic: Member Map  (Read 2821 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
on: September 13, 2018, 11:03:21 am
There's a link to a member map at the top of the page.  Is this new?  I don't remember it from before the recent forum update.  There have been some discussions in the past about trying to create one, so I think it must be a fairly recent addition?

Anyway, I see there are many members on it, but I'm not.  Did you guys add your locations?  How does this work?

There's a link below the map: "Click here to add or edit your pin location on the map."  But clicking that only brings me to my forum profile page; no information about creating or editing a map pin.  I have always had a location listed, but it's just a text field and I don't see how that could contribute to automatically generating a pin in the correct location...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 02:55:40 pm
There's a link to a member map at the top of the page.  Is this new?  I don't remember it from before the recent forum update.  There have been some discussions in the past about trying to create one, so I think it must be a fairly recent addition?

Anyway, I see there are many members on it, but I'm not.  Did you guys add your locations?  How does this work?

There's a link below the map: "Click here to add or edit your pin location on the map."  But clicking that only brings me to my forum profile page; no information about creating or editing a map pin.  I have always had a location listed, but it's just a text field and I don't see how that could contribute to automatically generating a pin in the correct location...

When I click on Member Map I go absolutely nowhere. I just remain on this same Forum page.

So who knows?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Stogierob

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 03:51:50 pm
looks like the link from 2010 (search 'member map') goes to this forum's previous URL www.enfieldmotorcycles.com.  pinning your location is probably a feature that is gone with the update.  hopefully they'll bring it back...

StogieRob
1977 RE Bullet 350 that is slowly being converted to resemble a WWII era bike...

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 04:56:15 pm
That Members Map looks like an old feature that's slipped its moorings and would need to be reconfigured in the new forum system. Speaking of "slipped its moorings," apparently one of our Indian members with the handle "Forced Induction" is trapped in the pack ice off the Antarctic coast, in the far southern Pacific just southeast of Peter I Island. I guess he must have taken that tricky wrong left turn on the Leh Ledakh Road before  the Wise Monkeys Teahouse instead of after, and just kept going.

By the way, if such Enfield-related maps are of interest, I've cobbled together a Google Map of U.S. and Canadian Dealerships and Service Centers  that I thought might be useful for folks touring on an Enfield far from home. It's a "shared map", so anyone can edit or add to it if you happen to know of a shop that can help sort out a limping Enfield. Then again, I think we all have a hunch that if "Forced Induction" ever frees himself from the icy grip of whatever penguin hatchery he's ensconced in, it might be best if he refrains from sharing his special geographic insights.

"Say, this doesn't look like the road to Ft, Worth."
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 07:43:11 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 11:11:14 pm
By golly mattsz, I don't see you on the list.

I don't remember when but quite a few years ago, maybe 5 or more,  someone at the forum had set up that member map and at the time, any member could place a marker for his location on it along with a link to their name.  I entered my location to it back then.

Whatever was needed to enter or change the information doesn't seem to be working. When I poked the Add or edit button it just sends me to my information sheet but there isn't anything there to revise or enter something on the map that I see.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 11:26:43 pm
I vaguely remember the discussion about the map - I thought I was on it, though...  Oh well...

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 04:53:17 am
It's easy enough to create and share a Google Map: Just log in to Google, "pin" a location, give it a title, save it, and then set it to "public" and "share" so others can can see and edit it too.

Thing is, it's one thing to openly publish the addresses of dealerships, service centers or other such businesses online. Presumably they'd all welcome the resulting referrals. But I am not sure I'd want my personal contact and other info so freely available to all comers. On the other hand, I might freely provide them if access to such a members map and directory were restricted to logged in members of this forum in good standing. One imagines that the "MEMBER MAP" feature of this forum found in the header of each webpage generated by the SMF Tricks software might afford some method of restricting access to it just to logged in users. That's something for the Forum's mods and admins to work out, but I imagine they've already got their hands pretty full beating off the Viagrunt All Natural Male Enhancement Ointment and Clutch Plate Lube peddlers and other lowlife spammers hammering at the gates, all while attending to the myriad other more pressing teething problems of this new Forum architecture.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 05:32:00 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 05:27:10 am
The Adv Rider RE guys published dealer locations in GPX format at https://advrider.com/f/threads/royal-enfield-himalayan-dealers-in-north-america-gpx-file.1292374/

Not being part of the borg I can't pin a location in a Google Map but if someone wouldn't mind, my location is 32.868702, -116.633804

And if you want to know where my C5 is I can setup a guest account at TrackmateGPS. :)
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 06:47:52 am
The Adv Rider RE guys published dealer locations in GPX format at https://advrider.com/f/threads/royal-enfield-himalayan-dealers-in-north-america-gpx-file.1292374/

Not being part of the borg I can't pin a location in a Google Map but if someone wouldn't mind, my location is 32.868702, -116.633804

And if you want to know where my C5 is I can setup a guest account at TrackmateGPS. :)

Thanks for the tip! I'm also a member over at the ADVRider Forum  (even though the most "adventurous" route I might ever choose on a trip is to hazard the Corned Beef Hash Special at that Truck Stop on Route 9 just north of Poughkeepsie). So, I've reached out via PM to the compiler of that Enfield dealerships list in GPX format (for Garmin GPS devices) to request a copy of his data in the rather more digestable Excel format he also offers via email in order compare and update with my own Google Map's info. I'll keep y'all posted...