Author Topic: Fork trouble  (Read 1385 times)

c1skout

• Grease Monkey
on: September 12, 2018, 03:30:02 am
Trying to do some maintenance on my 2000 Bullet 500

Need to remove the casquette to service the headstock bearings. Figured I'd do fork seals at the same time.

Trouble is, I can't get the one fork to unthread from the casquette. The right side came out no trouble, the left........ Won't even budge. I hammered away on it with an air impact  even, after soaking with pub blaster.

My next step is to destroy the fork shroud on that side and try a big strap or pipe wrench on the fork tube.

Does anybody have a better idea?

If I end up needing a new casquette, are they all the same?

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 11:44:29 am

One of the triple tree clamps will want to wrap around one fork leg, and unwrap itself from the other if both legs are turned in the same direction within the clamps - which is what is happens when you unscrew them out of the casquette.  Your problem may not be with the thread but the clamp and compounded if any water has penetrated between the leg and clamp.
Try using a wooden wedge to keep the clamp prised slightly open and use a very light or penetrating oil between the leg and clamp before attempting to unscrew the leg downwards again in a clockwise direction.
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

c1skout

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 02:46:57 am
Thanks for the reply!

I had soaked everything down with PB blaster last night before I quit. This evening it came apart! No destruction needed.

I was worried that it may have been cross-threaded from new, but everything is fine. I got the stem bearings cleaned and greased and one fork resealed.