Author Topic: Rattle noise?  (Read 3288 times)

Zedlizard

• Scooter
on: September 11, 2018, 02:35:06 am
Hey folks. My wife just got a 2010 and loves it.
I have noticed a couple things I was hoping you could help me with though.
It sounds like it has a tap, but from what I'm reading this model has hydraulic valve adjustment, and does not require periodic valve adjustment... is that right?  Anyone have experience with this tapping noise?
Also, when I rev it up it sounds like a metal shield is rattling, but I don't see anything to rattle. It could be in the motor, for sure, and that's what also got me wondering about the valves, pushrods, etc.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Cheers!

HUdson51

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 03:39:48 am
Yes, they have hydraulic tappets that do not require adjustment, and no they are not as quiet as most hydraulic tappets. I wouldn't be concerned about a mild tapping. As for the rattle noise, carefully check the heat shield on the muffler as they have a tendency to lose the screws that attaches them. Enjoy the bike, they are a most unique riding experience and are a very relaxing ride on secondary roads. Not so great on freeways.

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 04:04:12 am
I concur with HUdson51 on tappets.  WRT rattle, in my C5 experience it was a loose rear gas tank mount.  I fabricated from flat aluminum plate and installed a second frame-to-engine head steady bracket which removed the looseness and eliminated the rattle (https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,7829.msg303856.html#msg303856).  You can buy a second head steady from Hitchcocks (http://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/2719, http://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/Head-Steady-electra-EFI/34252).  I recommend you wrap your head steady in tape or heat shrink as the wiring is kinda crowded in that area.  BTW just tightening the original bolt was not sufficient -- a second bracket was required.
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

Subbu-500

• Bulleteer
  • I am like....no big deal!
Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 09:46:47 am
I would also check the battery box cover on the right and that beautiful oval shaped one on the left. They are both rectangular on my B5 and have been rattling since day one...they both have their own music note post 60 kmph and i have just accepted to like it and live with it  ;)...so just rev the motor and place your palm firmly on the boxes to see if that stops the rattle...if it does, well...just live with it
Subbu
2019 Interceptor
2014 B5(Carb)

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 10:42:42 am
Hi, dependent on model,  the front end of the heat shield can rattle profusely if the locating tab on the down pipe breaks off.
I've a B5 and secured mine tight against the down pipe with a couple of stainless steel zip ties. In the short space of time before securing it with the ties a 3/8" fracture developed between the larger and narrower section of the shield.
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 02:03:43 pm
No rattles on my 2011 B5. No stock muffler, either.   ;D
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 07:00:39 pm
I concur with HUdson51 on tappets.  WRT rattle, in my C5 experience it was a loose rear gas tank mount.  I fabricated from flat aluminum plate and installed a second frame-to-engine head steady bracket which removed the looseness and eliminated the rattle (https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,7829.msg303856.html#msg303856).

On my 2011, the front fuel tank mount rattled - I had to add some spacers between the front tank flanges and the headstock to get the mounting bolt to hold it secure enough to stop the rattle.

Now, of course, the tank's front mounting hardware is a distant memory...

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 03:02:24 am
yeah but I bet your vibration equals mine....LOL

Zedlizard

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 04:20:18 pm
Thanks folks-appreciated! Both helpful and hopefully.
I hope to get on this on Sunday, I'll let you know how it pans out.

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 05:59:30 pm
While making an additional exhaust support I found another rattle today - the topside of the brake pedal on the underside of the down pipe  :o
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Zedlizard

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 01:16:25 am
Hi, dependent on model,  the front end of the heat shield can rattle profusely if the locating tab on the down pipe breaks off.
I've a B5 and secured mine tight against the down pipe with a couple of stainless steel zip ties. In the short space of time before securing it with the ties a 3/8" fracture developed between the larger and narrower section of the shield.
I think we have a winner. It did appear to be the front heat shield making the noise. I can't see where there would have been a locating tab, but I bent it up away from the pipe and that may be enough right there. Thanks again!