Author Topic: Shifting problems  (Read 1859 times)

cs1976

• Scooter
on: October 03, 2008, 04:53:36 pm
I seem to be having problems shifting from 2nd to 3rd, I really have to lift up hard and fast to get it to go into 3rd. My neutral finder is hard to press as well. Any suggestions?
-Chad-

chris-bartlett

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 07:50:39 pm
Note:
'03 500 Bullet Classic 4spd, left shift.... I always use the Neutral finder, never sit at a light with the clutch pulled.

I'm having trouble shifting from 2nd to 3rd as well, and sometimes to 4th. It starts to happen after I've been riding for 10 mins or so. I found that it helps to get my foot way under it so that I'm shifting using the top arch of my foot, but sometimes it doesn't matter what I do, it takes 3-4 tries to shift. I adjusted my clutch but had very little effect. I tightened my chain too.

I tried searching "shifting" on the forum and found mostly left to right shift conversion and down-shifting threads.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 10:21:55 pm by chris-bartlett »

erob123

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 08:03:17 pm
I'm having fun trying to shift seems I have to do a light touch up or down depending on upshift or downshift to get it to click.  Kinda like its not going to the shift position without some help.  Strange, like a spring has sprung.  Goose the throttle don't help, something weird.  I finally deciced to go back to the dealer 150 miles away.  Dammmmm it.  Can't ride without wiggle foot.

2nd to 3rd as the lever tops out and won't go no further, a slight downward push puts it in shift position and I upshift to 3rd and I'm gone.   But like I said upshift was good but downshift has been bad since getting bike 1600 mi ago.
Eric
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 08:12:05 pm by erob123 »

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 02:39:44 am
Eric are you a 4 speed or a 5 speed?
It would be good, I guess, to take it to the dealer, but if your jammed for time or the dealer can't get to it, as long as your coming this way, get in touch with me and stop by my house, possibly we can cure the problem.

Phil

cs1976

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 03:42:10 am
Note:
'03 500 Bullet Classic 4spd, left shift.... I always use the Neutral finder, never sit at a light with the clutch pulled.

I'm having trouble shifting from 2nd to 3rd as well, and sometimes to 4th. It starts to happen after I've been riding for 10 mins or so. I found that it helps to get my foot way under it so that I'm shifting using the top arch of my foot, but sometimes it doesn't matter what I do, it takes 3-4 tries to shift. I adjusted my clutch but had very little effect. I tightened my chain too.

I tried searching "shifting" on the forum and found mostly left to right shift conversion and down-shifting threads.

Hmm I don't know it's frustrating, I've added grease to the gearbox, changed the primary case fluid to ATF, even adjusted the clutch cable. Shifting seems a little better, but neutral finder is still sticky. The bike only has about 2800 miles on it!
-Chad-

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 07:31:01 am
This is all due to internal friction.   I know some may laugh but I use the friction addative such as Wynns.STP or similar even the cheapest.

Try half a tin in your gearbox. I would be interested to hear your opinion.

I have it in mine from new and I use it in every oil on the bike including the primary. I use it  on all my vehicles.

I don't honestly feel any difference exept in  motorcycle gearboxes which I think will improve your problem.  It certainly wont hurt it or make it worse.

I was amazed to see on TV a helicopter manufacturer specify a 50% mix of STP as an addition to the  lubrication oil  of the drive chain bath.!!!!!
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

erob123

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 06:07:50 pm
Snidal Manual

2. Faulty Gear Changing
a) Poor To No Selection
1. Change Lever Not Returning To Center- Rocker Return Spring Broken or Jammed Clean or Replace
2. Change Lever Not Returning To Center- Restricted Movement Shifter Shaft Broken or Jammed Clean or Replace
3. Change Lever Not Returning To Center- Restricted Movement Change Lever Itself Broken or Jammed

2. b) Incomplete Engagement
Restricted Shifter Movement -  Movement Limited By Footrest, etc. Correct By Relocating Shifter On Shaft
Shifter Link,Bellcrank, Pins, Striker - Excessive Hole Size, Worn Pins Repair or Replace
Striker - Excessive Wear At End Slot Rebuild Or Replace
Shifter Forks - Excessive Wear At Fork Or Camplate Engagement Stud Replace
Striker Return Spring - Soft Or Broken Replace If Necessary
Shifter Rollers And Camplate Recesses - Rollers Not Fitting Tightly In Camplate Replace Rollers, Camplate, or Both 
Camplate And Camplate Pivot - Fit Between Parts Replace As Necessary - Pivot First
Shaft Bushings And Bearings - Excessive Shaft End Float Replace As Necessary