Author Topic: Make it more like a ‘42 WD/C0  (Read 3337 times)

Stogierob

• Bulleteer
on: August 12, 2018, 04:19:08 am
I’ve got an 08 Military that I want to look more like a ‘42 WD/C0.  If you aren’t familiar with what that is, it’s the British Army name for the RE 350cc motorcycle.  What I know I want to change are the from forks for girder style with headlight, and the handle bars/instrument cluster.  The plastic tail light housing and the modern turn signals also need to change.  And while I have a JRC 30mm carb, I need to install the box style air filter housing to replace the modern foam air filter.  What I won’t change is converting it to a hard tail - yet...

So the question is: am I on the right track?  And where might I source the vintage or repro parts?   The piece is like to start with and haven’t seen online, is the tail light assembly/bracket.  Second will be the handle bars and controls. Lastly will be the front forks. 

Thanks!
Rob
1977 RE Bullet 350 that is slowly being converted to resemble a WWII era bike...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 02:43:16 pm
Be very careful about the girder front end. There are some from India that also show up on Ebay sometimes that are poorly built.
Do Not go cheap on the girder front end.

Try REOC for tips on actual WD parts which should bolt right on like taillight assy and bars.
I don't think that turn signals were on those bikes.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Stogierob

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 06:35:49 pm
I didn’t know there was an RE owners club.  Thanks!

And the girder front end replacement is so far off, but thanks for the warning.  I’m always leery of buying some things off EBay.  In this case, it’s the total lack of support from the vendor that would cause me problems.  I know there’s going to be something ‘special’ about the front end swap that insider info on having done it will make all the difference in the project.

Thanks!
Rob
1977 RE Bullet 350 that is slowly being converted to resemble a WWII era bike...

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 06:51:12 pm
Someone in the UK actually managed to get an Electra-X engine and gearbox into a WDCO (or similar) frame complete with girder forks and fit a replica(?) military sidecar a few years ago, might be worth an internet search to see if you can find out more.

+1 on totally avoiding repro girder forks of unknown quality.

What you CAN do more easily is give the existing forks a bit more of a classic (early 50's) look by replacing the casquette headlamp with the fork yokes/triple tree (steering stem) from a 2003/4 Indian market RE 350 AVL Thunderbird (don't forget the headlamp brackets to match, which you can use with the existing fork shrouds) and repro 50's Lucas 7" headlamp with the old style light switch and ammeter fitted. Careful choice of a repro speedo+mount and handlebar switch gear will complete the front end.

This is the sort of thing I'm talking about, I think the AVL Military has full length tin shrouds, not gaiters, but otherwise imagine this painted army green (and with a 19" wheel, not a 21").

There are various 50's style rear number/licence plates around that will take a Lucas 525 or Miller tail light.

While I can understand your hesitation over using ebay that's probably still best for the Thunderbird parts, Hitchcocks' in the UK list them but they're currently out of stock there.

http://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/front-forks/18923

Meanwhile any classic Brit bike spares emporium should have the rest.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 06:57:39 pm
As I recall, Kevin, the owner of this site and the man who for years was the importer of Royal Enfields into the US, decided he wanted to import girder front ends to sell thru his Classic Motor Works (CMW) store.

Having been an importer of Indian made motorcycles and parts he did an extensive search for the forks.

In all of his searching, including seeing the actual hardware he came to the conclusion that there are no Indian manufacturers who produce a safe springer front fork so, beware.

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Stogierob

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 12:46:40 am
What type of paint and paint color would you use for ‘military’ green?

Rob

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 11:23:17 am
Ah yes, now where do we start?  ;D

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?gncl=Green&manuf=Military

It's probably best to take a small part off your bike to your local auto paint supplier and see if they can match it for painting any new bits. RE Fort Worth might have some of the RE paint to match your 08 Military in spray cans.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Stogierob

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 05:08:12 am
Thanks for the paint source!

Rob

Stogierob

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 11:26:06 pm
Reached out to Hitchcock and they have been waiting a year to be supplied with one of the parts of the Thunderbird kit.  Does anyone have a parts list for that part of a Thunderbird so I could possibly source the parts myself?

Thanks
Stogierob

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 01:13:47 pm
I know Henry Price in the UK often has this stuff. It's not usually listed on his site, but you can contact him for his un-listed spares.

http://www.pricepartmotorcycles.co.uk

You will need the bottom yoke/triple tree/steering stem (same thing!) for the 2004-ish model, top yoke to take THREADED-top fork stanchions, headlamp brackets, steering stem top lock nuts (both), chrome cover (which you can pain green!), headlamp brackets with the thick rubber washers/rings to fit underneath, and probably a set of steering head beadings.

If Henry can't help, get back to me. I have the Retired Models parts list.

A.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 03:56:18 pm
OK, if it's girder forks you want these might be a bit better/safer than the Indian reproduction items dis(cus)sed earlier.

http://www.malarkeyengineering.co.uk/girder-forks

However, they do NOT come cheap!  :o :o :o

http://www.malarkeyengineering.co.uk/prices---girder-forks

The early 50's re-style suggested above will hurt your wallet a lot less.

A.

Stogierob

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: September 06, 2018, 01:54:30 am
Holy Malarkey!

Yeah, I won't be getting that girder set.  Looks like this year will be limited to reinstalling an air box, replacing the tail light and bracket, a pillion seat, and a rear rack.

Thanks!
Rob