Author Topic: Royal Enfield product reviews  (Read 76845 times)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #135 on: January 08, 2019, 03:03:32 pm
Everything... and everyone !  Myself included...

Indeed. And from long experience also at the other end of the transactional matrix, I can assure you it's no picnic for sellers either.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #136 on: January 09, 2019, 10:24:43 am
Keep your beard/facial hair under control and tangle free while you ride https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEWjMo8Wd-0
When Life hands you lemons, Squeeze them in his eyes and take his wallet.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #137 on: January 09, 2019, 11:16:25 am
This has to be one of the best, affordable anti theft devices on the market https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbg5CiA78fE
Been thinking about these quite a bit, and decided to stick with the disc lock.
It seems to me that all a thief has to do is slacken either the bleed nipple or brake cable and your bike can be wheeled away to somewhere where the lock can be attacked in more privacy?

Frank

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #138 on: January 09, 2019, 11:35:47 am
Been thinking about these quite a bit, and decided to stick with the disc lock.
It seems to me that all a thief has to do is slacken either the bleed nipple or brake cable and your bike can be wheeled away to somewhere where the lock can be attacked in more privacy?

Frank

Well, that is a possibility I suppose, but if someone wants to steal a motorcycle bad enough, nothing will stop them. Even a disc lock can be bypassed by just loading it into a van. These things are meant to be a deterrent. A thief would see the GripLock straight away as apposed to the disc lock, try to push away the bike with a disc lock and probably end up dropping it and damaging it.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #139 on: January 09, 2019, 11:59:27 am
Sorry, but I disagree. Disc locks in this country are very common and probably the first place a thief would look.

Frank

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #140 on: January 09, 2019, 02:02:47 pm
On the other hand, if you own a motorcycle with a kick starter, how would a thief know how to start it?  ::)  Besides, how many professional thieves really want to steal a Royal Enfield motorcycle?  I don't ever bother to lock my B5 when I park it and it has never been touched.   :)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #141 on: January 09, 2019, 10:18:05 pm
Besides, how many professional thieves really want to steal a Royal Enfield motorcycle? 

Just ask the guys here who have had their bikes stolen...  >:(

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #142 on: January 09, 2019, 11:28:23 pm
A van with a loading ramp and some gas bottles and a cutting torch will bypass most motorcycle security.

The best you can hope for is you make it too much like hard work and easier to steal someone else's bike instead. Secure locking will also make the insurance claim a bit easier.

chuychacon

• Bulleteer
  • TEAM BANZAI 88
Reply #143 on: January 10, 2019, 12:34:40 am
a battery powered angle grinder will cut through almost any lock in about 5 sec ::)
Moto Guzzi Lemans 1980
Kawasaki 750 Twin Cafe 1982
Honda XL 350 older brothers age 18-20
Honda Dream 50cc hand me down age10-14

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #144 on: January 10, 2019, 06:31:32 pm
Yeah, I get it that the GripLock is not much more than a slight annoyance to a determined scumbag or a well-outfitted consortium of scumbaggery. One thing I do like about that GripLock is that I can see it right there from the saddle. You know how many times I've absent-mindedly gone through the whole startup rigamarole, shoved it off the center stand, and only then realized I've left the goddamned cable lock on the wheel? Enough to qualify as a full-blown pants-round-the-ankles dimwit, that's how many. And it's easy to use, so I will. Also, I have drums front and rear, so a disk lock's not really ideal.

In terms of added deterrence, I'm now wondering if one of these babies for a buck or so on the saddle might help...

And to deter bike-jackers, maybe one of these natty T-shirts...

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 07:53:42 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #145 on: January 10, 2019, 06:41:12 pm
Look, Nothing is 100% guaranteed to prevent a thief from thieving, but something is better than nothing, right? I know, we are all going to differ in opinion about which style locks and anti moron gear we prefer, but that's the beauty of it right? We can all have different views on what we think is better, but in the end, they all do the same thing. I simply like this product because it is hard for me to stoop down to remove a chain or a disc lock. We don't have to argue about these things do we? Rather the choice is made out of necessity (As in my case), preference, or down to dollars, does it really matter? Now, lets all shake hands and be friends again. What do ya say fellers? 

Dalmatian man

• Bulleteer
Reply #146 on: January 10, 2019, 07:36:57 pm
What I like most about the forum is the fact we don't all agree with each other, but still respect the right to voice it.
Keep up the good work with the reviews, I  always find them very interesting.
33cc cyclemaster
James Cadet
James Comodore
Honda C50
Suzuki Gn250
BMW 650
Honda Hornet 600
BMW R1100RS
Royal Enfield C5 2014
BMW G310R

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #147 on: January 11, 2019, 08:05:48 am
I wasn't falling out with anyone, I just said that I do not agree with you on this subject.
You have a different opinion than I have and I respect that.

Frank

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #148 on: January 12, 2019, 09:36:33 am
...We don't have to argue about these things do we? Rather the choice is made out of necessity (As in my case), preference, or down to dollars, does it really matter? Now, lets all shake hands and be friends again. What do ya say fellers?

I thought this one was staying quite civilized.  Some of the "discussions" I've seen on some other forums...  :o

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #149 on: January 12, 2019, 09:40:44 am
Also, I have drums front and rear, so a disk lock's not really ideal.

No need for that can't-do attitude here...

In terms of added deterrence, I'm now wondering if one of these babies for a buck or so on the saddle might help...

I for one think I will henceforth go this route.  I've got easy access to plenty of it - for free8)