Author Topic: Royal Enfield product reviews  (Read 76908 times)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #120 on: January 06, 2019, 02:34:29 pm
Looks good, but I think I'll wait until the Lockpicking Lawyer has had a play with it before deciding if I want one or not.

Frank

Well, carry on. And let's hope your ride doesn't go all "swaggy" whilst you await that amicus brief from your legal team. Mine has already arrived, and I've little doubt its simple vivid appearance on my handlebars would deter most bike thieves, at least encouraging them to move on to easier prey like yours. Even if its lock were the same as that found on a McDonalds Happy Meal 'Pirates of the Caribbean' toy treasure chest, it would still do that job. As it happens though, its key seems pretty gnarly: double-cut with what looks like some kind of center punch-out, too. I doubt the pair of "Ghettards" witnessed taking a brick to the dash of my Zuendapp Bella scooter in a DC back alley would be up to finessing it. Whether it might confound roving solicitors with precision tools or even renegade chartered accountants with cordless grinders remains yet unknown.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #121 on: January 06, 2019, 03:17:38 pm
I already use an Oxford Boss alarmed disc lock, so I don't leave the bike unprotected, although there is always something better perhaps? I would not want to replace that with something which was inferior.
From what I've seen on LPL's youtube channel, manufacturers claims are sometimes less than accurate.
For instance, over here there is a much acclaimed [by the manufacturer] cycle lock called the Litelok. There are videos on youtube showing how difficult [if not impossible] it is to pick, break or cut.
LPL cut through one in around 15 seconds.
The majority of thieves over here will not usually bother to pick a lock unless they know that it is very simple to pick, they rather go for a physical attack - bolt cutters, hacksaws and even angle grinders.

Frank
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 04:35:38 pm by Boxerman »

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #122 on: January 06, 2019, 05:50:34 pm
Here's your competition at work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS6fwtP5q2Y
Lurker on a Vespa

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #123 on: January 06, 2019, 06:11:55 pm
That's the problem, if a pro thief wants it, they'll probably get it.
You can only really defend against opportunists.

Frank

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #124 on: January 06, 2019, 09:32:37 pm
Well, carry on. And let's hope your ride doesn't go all "swaggy" whilst you await that amicus brief from your legal team. Mine has already arrived, and I've little doubt its simple vivid appearance on my handlebars would deter most bike thieves, at least encouraging them to move on to easier prey like yours. Even if its lock were the same as that found on a McDonalds Happy Meal 'Pirates of the Caribbean' toy treasure chest, it would still do that job. As it happens though, its key seems pretty gnarly: double-cut with what looks like some kind of center punch-out, too. I doubt the pair of "Ghettards" witnessed taking a brick to the dash of my Zuendapp Bella scooter in a DC back alley would be up to finessing it. Whether it might confound roving solicitors with precision tools or even renegade chartered accountants with cordless grinders remains yet unknown.

Growing up we were very poor. My Uncle was, let's just say, a "lock smith". He taught me to get past most any lock starting at a young age. hell, I lost the key to my shed a year ago and have been using my pick set ever since. I can pick most locks in under 4 seconds. I've used this skill in the Military and in the Civilian world LAGALLY in one way or another, from opening locks for friends that lost their keys, or cleaning out lockers when I had to fire employees for one reason or another and they abandon their crap, among other things. I enjoy working with locks, so I did have to give this one a go. This lock CAN be opened. That being said, The average dummy is not going to do it. It would be as big a nightmare for a well trained locksmith as it was for me with it's dual tumbler sets and more than one fail safe resets. You almost need three hands to do it. So I assure you, No one is gonna take that much time to work with this thing. Let me clarify that bypassing locks is a normal hobby that many people enjoy. I DO NOT prowl the nights in a ski mask lurking in the shadows, lol.
When Life hands you lemons, Squeeze them in his eyes and take his wallet.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #125 on: January 07, 2019, 05:31:23 pm
You know Maddman, it just occurred to me that a fellow with even basic locksmithing skills could maybe make a few bucks at a rally like that one up in Oley, PA, where folks haul in their keyless barn finds. It might not get you that house on the beach, but could at least pay for the trip. I mean, last year there was one fellow that just rebuilt magnetos, and he seemed busy enough to make it worth his while. Hell, I'd be your first customer, since I never got a key for my steering lock. I know they're crap, and usually just take a good kick to the handlebars to break (that's how those two Bozos got my Bella scooter), but I'd like one all the same. The more even minor  deterrence the better. Like they say, "You don't have to be faster than the bear, you just have to be faster than the other guy running." If my bike seems even slightly more trouble than the one just up the street, that's often deterrence enough.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #126 on: January 07, 2019, 06:04:53 pm
You know Maddman, it just occurred to me that a fellow with even basic locksmithing skills could maybe make a few bucks at a rally like that one up in Oley, PA, where folks haul in their keyless barn finds. It might not get you that house on the beach, but could at least pay for the trip. I mean, last year there was one fellow that just rebuilt magnetos, and he seemed busy enough to make it worth his while. Hell, I'd be your first customer, since I never got a key for my steering lock. I know they're crap, and usually just take a good kick to the handlebars to break (that's how those two Bozos got my Bella scooter), but I'd like one all the same. The more even minor  deterrence the better. Like they say, "You don't have to be faster than the bear, you just have to be faster than the other guy running." If my bike seems even slightly more trouble than the one just up the street, that's often deterrence enough.

I've thought of that, but I would need access to a key cutter and a ton of blanks. Start up cost keeps me at home, lol. Best Id be able to do someone would be a bump key, lol. opening side boxes etc. would be simple, but then again at this stage, it would be a one time thing.
When Life hands you lemons, Squeeze them in his eyes and take his wallet.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #127 on: January 07, 2019, 10:07:12 pm
    I've thought of that, but I would need access to a key cutter and a ton of blanks. Start up cost keeps me at home, lol. Best Id be able to do someone would be a bump key, lol. opening side boxes etc. would be simple, but then again at this stage, it would be a one time thing.

It occurs to me that they don't even have  the little old style benchtop keycutting machines any more in most hardware and home improvement joints, but instead those big computerized "plinths" or whatever the hell they are, where you insert your key, it recognizes the blank with space lasers or some such shit, which is then retrieved and cut near silently sight-unseen somehow within the big spooky black box. So, what became of all those tens of thousands of perfectly fine old unwanted benchtop grinding rigs? Could this be one of them asking for just $125 on my local craigslist? Where are the rest?

As for key blanks, could there have been more than a few dozen for 90% of all British bikes made since the '50s that one might see at a shindig like Oley? A while back I waded chest deep through a bunch of key catalogs seeking a spare blank that might work for my gas cap, as described here, focusing naturally on the Triumph offerings, which shares at least one type of steering lock with the Enfield. As it happens, I believe they just used one type of ignition key, that Ilco TMC1, for most models for decades and decades before the '90s. And even after they started getting "sexy and complicated", I expect I could still fit an example of every Triumph ignition key blank ever used into one pants pocket with room to spare for a harmonica.

As for Enfields, how could one resist having one of these as one's "Spare"...

« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 10:10:50 pm by Bilgemaster »

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #128 on: January 08, 2019, 12:00:15 am
I worked with locks for years. Those key cutters are almost like Underwood typewriters, mechanical throwbacks to the pre-digital era.
Lurker on a Vespa

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #129 on: January 08, 2019, 12:11:46 am
I worked with locks for years. Those key cutters are almost like Underwood typewriters, mechanical throwbacks to the pre-digital era.

Indeed. Reminds me of a certain motorcycle...

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #130 on: January 08, 2019, 01:18:33 am

I have an Underwood Five typewriter.  I think it dates to around 1952.  ??? I received the typewriter as a gift when I retired from my old job at the city where I worked for 30 years.  I used to use it to fill out various engineering permit agreements. My problem has been finding ribbon cartridges for the typewriter. I was able to source a couple ink ribbons from the Philippines that a friend bought for me when visiting his parents home.  Unfortunately, the ink has dried out by now.   :(
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #131 on: January 08, 2019, 12:03:03 pm
So, what became of all those tens of thousands of perfectly fine old unwanted benchtop grinding rigs? Could this be one of them asking for just $125 on my local craigslist?

Fair condition, "well used but operational," offered at 90% off new... but shipped directly from the manufacturer? 

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #132 on: January 08, 2019, 02:27:31 pm
Well, it's craigslist, so EVERYTHING'S "sketchy" or "flakey" or both until proven otherwise. That said, my Enfield, my Belstaff jacket, one of my cars, and most of my oaky home furnishings? That's right: craigslist. Always proceed with caution and have some sense, and all will be well.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 02:53:45 pm by Bilgemaster »

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #133 on: January 08, 2019, 02:49:19 pm
Well, it's craigslist, so EVERYTHING'S "sketchy" until proven otherwise.

Everything... and everyone !  Myself included...

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #134 on: January 08, 2019, 03:01:08 pm
It ain't just Craigslist.
My folks ordered me from the Manufacturer, shipping took 9 months, and continued to threaten to return me for a refund until they died.

;)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.