Author Topic: digital tach signal wire  (Read 3373 times)

rtillery02

• R.Tillery
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2012 C5 Bullet Classic / 2002 Iron Barrel
on: September 06, 2018, 10:02:29 pm
Before I add-on a tach/volt meter to my 2012 C5, Is there a preferred place to tap the signal wire in that may better than another? 
Some Folks Grow Old & Wise, &
Some Folks Just Grow Old.

rtillery02

• R.Tillery
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 05:21:26 pm
I'll just solder, heat shrink & loom it outta harms way. Fixin to delve into it, thought there may have been an existing connector already in the harness taped up somewhere, the way the headlamp control switch was wired up.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 11:48:06 pm
I don't know about your tack/volt meter but when I installed the LED volt meter that was being sold by Kevin Mahoneys company that imported Royal Enfields, I wired it to the gray wire in the headlight casquette that powers the headlight parking light.

Since I removed the wiring jumper that keeps the headlight on, my light switch now can turn the headlight on or off.

If I start the engine with the headlight turned off, a quick glance at my LED volt guage shows me it is not lit up.
That's a good reminder for me to turn the headlight on before riding off.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

rtillery02

• R.Tillery
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 12:55:12 pm
I considered that very thing but decided against it. A typical hot wire with switch on instead, but now I'm reading a 50% rpm indication. I'll have to open it up to find the single cylinder switch since it's an indicated 1 or 2 cylinder tach. Hopefully it's as simple as that.

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 08:54:21 pm
Don't remember if it was  a TNT, but I put a self contained battery powered tach with wire that wrapped around the spark plug lead for inductive pickup on my 02 es.   Unhappily the sample rate was hopelessly slow and totally unusable even under moderate acceieration.