Author Topic: Torque Wrench  (Read 2078 times)

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 06, 2018, 07:39:08 pm
Today I bought a inexpensive 1/4" click torque wrench from Bilgemasters favorite store Harbor Freight for $10. 00 with coupon.  Its calibrated in inch / ounces up to 200.   How does this convert to foot pounds?  Thanks, hp

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 08:23:09 pm
12 inch pounds to 1 foot pound.  ;)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 08:28:03 pm
https://www.convertunits.com/from/ft+lbs/to/oz+in

acc. to this website 192 in-oz equals 1 ft-lbs, that would be a torque wrench for very tiny screws.  ???

Grant Borden

• It's Time to Ride!
  • Grease Monkey
  • It's Time To Ride!!!
Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 09:26:24 pm
12 inch pounds equal one foot pound.

Grant
2016 Royal Enfield Continental GT
2014 Royal Enfield C5 With Cozy Euro Sidecar

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 12:56:53 am
I also have a Harbor Freight 1/4" drive torque wrench that I got for about the same price.

IMO, the calibration on it is a bit off so I allow for the error by adding a correction number to the setting I'm trying to set.

To explain what I'm talking about, I keep the knurled torque adjustment sleeve with the numbers on it is kept fully "unscrewed" below zero.  This keeps the wrench from putting a load on the spring while the wrench is sitting in my tool box.

When I want to set the wrench to some torque value, I screw this adjustment sleeve clockwise to set the torque I'm looking for but I notice the sleeve turns past the "0" mark and it doesn't start to show any resistance to being turned until the reading gets to 5.  (Yours will probably be a different value.  If your real lucky, it will start to show resistance at "0".)

Knowing that the tension on the internal spring is what determines the amount of torque the wrench is set to, I add 5 to the value I want.
For instance, if I'm tightening the small hex bolts that hold the oil filter cover on, the Shop Manual says it should be 4 lb/ft.
4 lb/ft = 12 X 4 = 48 lb/in or 48 inch pounds as we say in America.
Adding 5 to the 48 I get 53 inch pounds so that is what I set the wrench to.  (Don't forget to tighten the lock screw at the bottom of the handle after setting the torque value.)

Most of the better quality torque wrenches make a nice audibly "click" when the torque value is reached but my Harbor Freight wrench doesn't make much, if any sound.

Knowing this, I carefully watch the area where the handle reaches the ratchet head.  When the wrench reaches the torque value, there is a noticeably movement between the handle and the head that tells me I've reached the torque I want.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 03:32:37 am
Thanks for the replies.   Guess these old eyes need new glasses.    Wrench is calibrated in inch pounds,  not inch ounces as I originally stated.   cheers, hp

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 11:52:06 pm
Thanks for the replies.   Guess these old eyes need new glasses.    Wrench is calibrated in inch pounds,  not inch ounces as I originally stated.   cheers, hp
Hooray !!

Inch pounds = good.  Inch Ounces = pretty useless for working on a motorcycle.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 05:10:05 am
Several years ago when I started working on motorcycles again, I got 1/4" and 3/8" versions of http://bikemaster.com/motorcycle-tools-shop-supplies/drivers-sockets-multi-tools/digital-torque-wrench.html.  Preloaded them with Arizone's torque values. :)
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod