Author Topic: Clutch cable  (Read 3176 times)

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
on: August 29, 2018, 08:24:54 pm
Just got a back up clutch cable from our host. Barnett! YooHoo! Top quality American. I got a code in the newsletter, so it's going to get here with free shipping.
  I'll route it through next to the one in situ. If the one in service gets whacky, I'll just attach the new one. The original cable is doing ok, but I don't want to get stranded for want of a clutch cable.

Cheers,
Bill
ACE Motors - sales & administration

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 01:37:33 am
How many clutch cables did you buy?    Banner says free shipping on over $199 purchases.   Or are they that expensive?? !!

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 04:02:47 am
How many clutch cables did you buy?    Banner says free shipping on over $199 purchases.   Or are they that expensive?? !!

$29 and change, total. Get on the newsletter list. They sent me a discount code.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 03:24:38 pm
The new cable is impressive, top quality American. Slides great.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 06:02:01 pm
Agreed. One look at it and it's clear as Cindy Crawford's mole that the Barnett cable is FAR superior to the sketchy OEM Enfield one. Having had one of those shabby Enfield OEM cables go "Sproing!" on me, even though it was just about the most convenient way it could happen, if you've got a Barnett in hand I'd recommend you waste no time in getting it on there. I'm not even sure I'd necessarily keep the old OEM cable as a spare...certainly not on the bike. Far quicker and more practical for temporary roadside repairs would to just toss a few of these Solderless Screw-On Nipples into your tool pouch. They take up almost no room, and will have you on your way in minutes:

Of course, such doodads are only really meant to be a temporary expedient. Fuller kits with replacement cables, shell housings, tips and so forth are also available here and there, but since 99.9% of broken cables are going to break right at the nipple, and then almost always at the harder-working hand lever end, you can think of these Screw-On Cable Ends as just a bit of cheap insurance no bigger than a thimbleful that'll just get you home, where you can sort it out properly at your leisure.

As for the actual cable replacement process, a handy step-by-step guide, at least for older iron cylinder engines with 5-speed gearboxes like my 2005 can be found here. I imagine some of the simple tricks and techniques described there might be applicable to other models as well.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 06:05:16 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

adamGT

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 08:24:55 pm
Hey Guaire,

What model number/length/size was the Barnett you ordered? Im looking at a quality replacement myself!

-A

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 04:50:45 pm
Hey Guaire,

What model number/length/size was the Barnett you ordered? Im looking at a quality replacement myself!

-A

Adam - Here's the URL from the store.

https://www.classicmotorworks.com/barnett-premium-clutch-cables/

They are out of stock as of now.
Sorry about the late response. I was in Michigan. All I had was an iPhone and an iPad. I could read the forum, but I can't post anything with them.
Bill

adamGT

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 01:13:30 pm
Guaire,

Thanks for your post!!!