Author Topic: Adjusting the pushrods  (Read 2091 times)

elifain

• Scooter
on: August 25, 2018, 02:55:27 pm
Hi everyone. :)
I ride a 2009 Electra X.
I know that the manual states "just able to rotate" when you adjust the pushrods.
What does that mean?  :-[
To spin freely?
To spin but not so freely?
To be able to move but only when you "push" with your finger? (That means that they are adjusted tight)

I mostly adjust them towards tight, because it reduces the noise they make when the engine is working.
Also, I adjust them when cold, and the exhaust pushrod not so tight as the other.

However, I have heard many enfield riders say, "a noisy tappet, is a happy tappet".  ???

I' d like to hear your opinions because I love my bike and I don't want to make  her explode.  :o

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 03:30:18 pm
Hi everyone. :)
I ride a 2009 Electra X.
I know that the manual states "just able to rotate" when you adjust the pushrods.
What does that mean?  :-[
To spin freely?
To spin but not so freely?
To be able to move but only when you "push" with your finger? (That means that they are adjusted tight)

I mostly adjust them towards tight, because it reduces the noise they make when the engine is working.
Also, I adjust them when cold, and the exhaust pushrod not so tight as the other.

However, I have heard many enfield riders say, "a noisy tappet, is a happy tappet".  ???

I' d like to hear your opinions because I love my bike and I don't want to make  her explode.  :o

Adjust at TDC stone overnight cold.

Adjust to spin freely without breaking your finger and thumb turning the pushrod. Just snug.

But with ZERO, NO, up or down movement.

Done.

Hint if you don't already know: Remove that center stub that holds the cover on.

Another hint: You are going to hear this engine running. It's like a tractor engine, like a shovelhead harley. You're going to hear the mechanicals working. A Swiss watch it ain't.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 03:32:30 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

elifain

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 05:28:51 pm
You are going to hear this engine running. It's like a tractor engine, like a shovelhead harley. You're going to hear the mechanicals working. A Swiss watch it ain't.

At first I thought it was about to fall apart, but then I realized its just the way this thing is. ::)

Thanks for the answer!

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 05:41:20 pm
At first I thought it was about to fall apart, but then I realized its just the way this thing is. ::)

Thanks for the answer!

Believe me, after you feel the bike out a while, you are going to LOVE this damn bike, just cruising at steady throttle, well under the redline, in 4th or 5th gear and being forced  :) ;) to go around those PITA beautiful blue highway curves  ;D
And if you knew my whole bio, you'd never believe I'm saying that. Well, believe it  :)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.