Author Topic: Dialing in new carb  (Read 4009 times)

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
on: August 18, 2007, 04:49:27 pm
I have the CMW performance kit on my Electra and am wondering how others with this setup have dialed in the settings. The carb came with some pretty big jets and the needle in the center setting. The plug was a bit sooty in the beginning and my dealer said the jets should be ok, just change the needle position. I moved the clip one notch and it helped. Now I am opening up the exhaust a bit for better sound and breathing. That, along with being more run in (4200 miles), makes me wonder if I should move the needle back. I will be re-setting the NGK plug at .28 instead of .25 as someone mentioned in another post. This should help burn a richer mixure cleanly.

gapl53

Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 05:09:00 pm
Sounds like you are on the right track. To make it easier change only one item at a time. I keep notes on what the change was and the end result.
Recommended setting are always just to get you in the ballpark. Each engine is different, along with the conditions under which you are tuning.
Weather is a big factor, along with altitude and your geographic location, and the weight of the fully loaded machine..
Pump gasoline is formulated differently depending where you are located. Unleaded regular is 87octane is the midwest and 85octane in the Rockies.
All these differences affect the tuning. Be as consistant as you can with the contributing factors as you can. Again this is where keeping notes help.
Remember it's not a problem, it's a challenge.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 03:08:42 pm by gapl53 »

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 05:34:05 pm
I wouldn't change anything unless there are performance issues. If opening the exhaust results in a too lean condition then you can enrichen the mixture. But first, you have to determine at which throttle setting or settings it is running lean.

See the tuning section in http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,190.0.html

The AVL LB engine seems perfectly happy to run lean. Mine was running lean with a performance kit and getting 73-75 mpg. Even though it was lean, it was however mostly running great. I did determine that it was too lean just off idle (in 1st and 2nd gear) as I was putting out of the neighborhood. It would misfire and spit as if it were still real cold (like a winter start). So I put it a throttle slide valve with a cutaway that was one step smaller (richer). It resolved the problem. It also eliminated the popping I had when rolling off throttle. It also has resulted in a drop to 62-65 mpg. Little things can make a big difference.

Matt
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 05:35:58 pm by Thumper »

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 07:48:11 pm
Thanks for the much-needed advice. After checking the plug today, it is still just a bit rich, so I will leave the needle setting alone. I think I will still open the exhaust a bit to get rid of the soot still collecting on the plug. Some of the tuning tips I hear from riders in the northern states don't seem to work the same for me because I am  in NW Florida, the air is thick, and we are about one foot above sea level.