Author Topic: Rear drum brake  (Read 1973 times)

SvtBullet

• Scooter
on: August 23, 2018, 07:33:37 am
I dont have much experience with drum brakes.

So, I was on my home today and while approaching the lights I pressed on my rear brake and heard a snapping sound and the brake lever went all the way down to the ground.

Took apart the drum and everytime I put pressure on the lever to engage the rear brakes it would just spin and readjust. When I attempted to put it back on I could tighten the adjuster nut all the way to the limit and still the brakes would not engage.

Anybody dealt with this before or have insights? Or should I just order a new rear brake drum assembly and call it a day.
2011 bullet b5

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 07:48:59 am
Sounds like the brake arm splines may have failed. If so a new cam and operating arm might be in order. (No.9 & No.11 in below piccy ;))
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 06:09:53 pm by portisheadric »
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 10:34:29 am
What's the condition of items 16, 9 and 10 and 2? Can you post a pic or two of the drum from the outside and the inside?

Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

SvtBullet

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 04:43:20 am
Sounds like the brake arm splines may have failed. If so a new cam and operating arm might be in order. (No.9 & No.11 in below piccy ;))

You were spot on. Sorry for the late reply was on vacation. The spline and lever were not locking just spinning freely.
2011 bullet b5

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 12:53:20 pm
Thanks for the update :)
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.