Author Topic: Electrical issues  (Read 1791 times)

billybob

• Scooter
on: October 02, 2008, 07:24:16 pm
Having trouble with the electric start-unless the battery is totally up to charge, I get no power to the starting solenoid.  All the switches tested good, tests good all the way up to the blue bosch multilink, in the left hand container on the side. My dealer suggests I cut and splice the 2 red wires together and bypass the multilink. Anybody heard of this--oh yeah, the bike runs perfect in every other respect. Just seems a little bit crazy splicing the only hot wire to the starting loop..
Thanks billy

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 08:27:59 pm
You could try putting a multimeter, set on its 0-20 volts range, across the multilink when it is under starting load (use whatever each side of it links to as connection points for the meter). If the connector (and wiring) were perfect you would see no volts developed across it. If it has deteriorated then some of the volts that you would want to see developed across the starter solenoid will drop across the duff connector instead. It may even warm up a little.

It should clean up though, and you can keep it good with contact grease of some sort.

I did similar with with the connections and wiring runs to my ignition coil and found that I was dropping 2 volts, of the 12.5 available, in the wiring harness.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 08:31:22 pm by Chasfield »
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 02:23:47 pm
below is the service bulltin on the cutoff switch. Yes it is doable
and advised if you are having e-start problems.
        - Mike
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Royal Enfield Auto Starter Cutoff switch tech bulletin

Applicability
All Royal Enfield Bullets with electric start through very late 2004. Non-Critical issue.

Problem
When the starter button is engaged a “buzzing” noise emanates from the left hand toolbox and the starter does not engage. It mimics a low battery or a bad starter solenoid. Sometimes the starter may work fine and at other times it may buzz and not engage the starter.

Background
The problem usually lies with the “auto starter cut off switch” which is the blue box found in the left hand tool, box. This unit has been installed on all ES models until very recently. Its original purpose was to sense when the engine was running and then “cut- out” the starter. The problem is theunitdrops enough voltage across itself that it may not provide sufficient voltagto the solenoid, thus causing it to buzz and not engage. The factory has determined that since most other motor vehicles do not have this convenience feature, the part is not necessary and causes more trouble than its worth.
Time Estimate
10 minutes

Procedure
First make sure that the bike has a fully charged battery and that it does not dip below 10.5 volts under load. A low battery will cause the same symptoms. It is also possible that the solenoid itself is bad, but it is more likely that the problem lies with the auto starter-cutoff switch. If in doubt you can apply battery voltage to the two leads which activate the solenoid, effectively eliminating the auto starter cut off switch. If it works when jumpered the problem lies with the auto starter cut off switch and not with the solenoid.
1.   Disconnect the auto starter cut off switch from the wiring harness ( it is blue in color).
2.   On the wiring harness side of the connector interconnect the red wire with the white trace and the red wire with the blue trace. Make sure that there is not danger of the new connection touching ground and causing a short by using electrical tape to insulate the connection and placing it out of harms way.

Disclaimer
This bulletin is not mandatory and was written by Kevin Mahoney of Classic Motorworks. While the factory supplied the direction, the writing is my own.

'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill