Author Topic: Stumped  (Read 16586 times)

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #75 on: November 08, 2018, 11:55:59 pm
This is great news and we've all learned something here.  You'll sleep well tonight.  Congratulations.  Regards,  Kevin Daly

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #76 on: November 09, 2018, 12:37:31 pm
Definitely good news for me. ;D
I'll do another leak check this morning and, if all is well, time to add the EJK and go for another "smiles per mile" thingy.  ;)
   Gotta hit the Social Security office first thing, though, and get signed up to start receiving the $$$ the Feds now owe me. Well, most of it, anyway. The extra income goes toward Principle so I can get the Mortgage Monkey off my back.

'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #77 on: November 09, 2018, 01:05:19 pm

Gotta hit the Social Security office first thing, though, and get signed up to start receiving the $$$ the Feds now owe me. Well, most of it, anyway. The extra income goes toward Principle so I can get the Mortgage Monkey off my back.

This is off-topic, I know, but good for you. As advice for younger folks, that's the smartest thing you can do if you own a house. We bought this house in 1989 with a legitimate 30 year fixed mortgage and by discipline we paid it off in 15 years saving humoungous amounts of money. Now all we have to worry about are the taxes.

And for those who bitch about interest rates all I can say is I paid 12% for the first house I bought in 1970 after Urban Renewal (a totally disastrous Progressive idea) destroyed the town I lived in. 
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #78 on: November 09, 2018, 01:58:53 pm
I'll do another leak check this morning and, if all is well, time to add the EJK and go for another "smiles per mile" thingy.  ;)

As someone who has been getting Social Security for some time, don't count the number of your SS chickens before they hatch.  Your payment will be reduced by the amount of your monthly Medicare premium, which increases each year faster than SS cost of living increases.  :( Plus SS is taxed by the IRS, which makes you pay back some of the money that you received during the year on the money that you were also being taxed on for your entire working life. (Why tax once when you can tax twice.  ::)  )The government gives and the government takes away.  >:( 

Very oddly for California, which tends to tax everything that can be seen, this state does not tax SS payments, for which I do appreciate as my state income tax payments are already closing in on 50% of the amount that I pay the IRS, even when not including SS money.    :o
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #79 on: November 09, 2018, 02:38:59 pm
As someone who has been getting Social Security for some time, don't count the number of your SS chickens before they hatch.  Your payment will be reduced by the amount of your monthly Medicare premium, which increases each year faster than SS cost of living increases.  :( Plus SS is taxed by the IRS, which makes you pay back some of the money that you received during the year on the money that you were also being taxed on for your entire working life. (Why tax once when you can tax twice.  ::)  )The government gives and the government takes away.  >:( 

Very oddly for California, which tends to tax everything that can be seen, this state does not tax SS payments, for which I do appreciate as my state income tax payments are already closing in on 50% of the amount that I pay the IRS, even when not including SS money.    :o

heloego and Richard230 - looking at just your conversation's progression of "smileys" is telling:

;D   ;)   :(   ::)   >:(   :o

Now I'm depressed...

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #80 on: November 09, 2018, 06:56:19 pm
I love retirement. It keeps my griping from being interrupted by work.
Lurker on a Vespa

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #81 on: November 09, 2018, 11:34:35 pm
I love retirement. It keeps my griping from being interrupted by work.

;D
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1