Author Topic: Stumped  (Read 16123 times)

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #15 on: August 22, 2018, 03:43:35 am
GHG: No codes and MIL operating properly.Jerked the tank and the injector today. Have to wait a week before I can take the injector to anybody.
Arizoni: Plug had the tip removed before I put it on. No bad connection there. Will look at the timing sensor connectors again tomorrow.

Rb: No worries on the cap. I'd fitted a round cap conversion and the vent is clean, and even if plugged there's enough air leakage around the gasket a plug would have no effect. LOL

'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: August 22, 2018, 08:37:16 am
Have you checked the TPS output voltage? TPS may be fubar.????????
Off route, recalculate?

mike_bike_kite

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: August 22, 2018, 11:32:13 am
I'm no mechanic but what does the spark plug look like after you've been running it at top speed?
When did the speed issue start? was it fine before the sidecar? when the new exhaust was added?
2018 C5 Pegasus + NC750X + Vespa GT + Vespa GTS

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: August 22, 2018, 03:18:28 pm
Haggis: TPS position has not changed since new, but thanks for the tip. I'll check it after work.
m_b_k: Plug looks just fine, if slightly lean. Normal carbon on the ring, and the insulator is a bit off-white, though not light tan. All this started as soon as I put the sidecar and long reverse cone silencer on. No other changes made. Having reverted back to the previous configuration (short silencer and no sidecar) the bike runs as if it still has the sidecar and long silencer installed.
'12 C5 Classic

Ergyd

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: August 22, 2018, 07:00:48 pm
Leak at the exhaust head?

Had similar symptoms, though not exactly the same, and reinstalling the exhaust with a proper copper ring solved it.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: August 27, 2018, 10:56:58 pm
Did you get this sorted?
Do you want an injector? I have one and you can have it.
Let me know. 

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: August 28, 2018, 02:37:13 am
This seven day stretch of work has been murder, so no I have not pulled the injector yet. 11.5 hour days can be killers. By the time I get home I have just enough time to check the forums, then it's beddy bye.

My next stretch of "off" days will be spent in the Denver area collecting some estate items left me by a close friend, so it may be awhile before I get it pulled and determine the need, if any, for a new one.
Thanks for the offer Steve, but I'll have to hold off for the nonce.  :)
'12 C5 Classic

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: August 28, 2018, 01:05:33 pm
Its not going anywhere. Its under the house along with the tank ,steering stem  and ecu parts. The last bits left from my parted out c5.  :) my kawasaki zephyr is the shizzle. 170kph down the highway. So reliable. So fast. Love it

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #23 on: August 28, 2018, 08:02:15 pm
Have you checked the TPS output voltage? TPS may be fubar.????????

« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 08:04:26 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: September 19, 2018, 03:20:19 pm
[EDIT]

Sorry for late update. Work.  ::) The exhaust is not leaking.

Since my visit to Denver I took the injector to a local outfit (Diesel Forward) for a "Clean Flow, and Advise", and here's the report, as written:
 "Unit for repair/1 gas injector/Customer states clean and flow injector/Flow injector found decent spray pattern/Clean injector and re-flow/Found spray pattern improved and fuel delivery increased approximately 1cc/"
I wondered a bit about the "increased appproximately 1cc" after the business had said that he initially measured a volume of 76cc, and after cleaning in an ultrasonic tub saw an increase to 86cc. A typo in the report (should have read 10cc)?
So the only thing I have to go on is the injector has continuity through the pins, the solonoid works when power applied, and the flow check was good per the technician. 

One would think that would settle the issue, but a mechanic I know and have trusted over the years asked about the results and says that still doesn't mean the injector is good to go, and the only way to be certain is pop in a new one to compare. OK, at anywhere from $65 to $150 either I have to shell out $$$ to get one fast, or wait forever to get one from India.

Installed the injector yesterday and took her for a run. Same issue, and seemed slightly more sluggish at lower speeds and gears. Still stutters at WOT, and I still can't get over 50mph indicated as if the sidecar was still attached.

I'll hold off until I can properly check the TPS. That said, I've been looking through the Service Manual for info on the TPS but can't seem to locate anything. Then I found singhg5's video in my library. Will check the TPS and temp sensors as soon as I can. Hopefully today.

The bike has been returned to the same condition as it was prior to adding the sidecar, EJK removed, and O2 sensor re-installed.

I have not done a proper compression check yet, since that would require removal of the auto decomp, but if necessary I'll do it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 05:45:22 pm by heloego »
'12 C5 Classic

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: September 19, 2018, 06:18:51 pm
Base setting is 0.6V +/- 0.2volts. maximum is just above 3.8 but does vary.
Also check for a clean voltage sweep between the fully closed and fully open positions.
I recently had a lot of misfiring with mine and failed to do exactly that. Because I had normal open and closed readings, I dismissed the TPS unit as being responsible for the problem.

Just throwing in something here (like a red herring) from the far far far left field...
The Himalayan's employ a system where if the bike is in neutral and exceeds a certain RPM limit, it cuts fuel to the engine - this is in addition to the rev limiter which cuts in at much higher RPM.

The Bullets might possibly have something similar that we've thought of as the rev limiter activating not realising without a rev counter that it's not.
Does your Neutral gear indicator light go out and stay out when using other gears?  Could there be a wiring problem allowing the ECU to think the engine is being used in the mid range and in Neutral when it's obviously not?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 06:37:39 pm by portisheadric »

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: September 21, 2018, 01:25:26 am
OK.
Actually had some free time today so back-pinned the TPS and checked voltage.

Idle Voltage: 0.57vWOT Voltage: 3.77vSmooth voltage sweep between positions.
Engine Temp Sensor: 1.5 ohms at 34 Celsius.Based on the chart in the Service Manual this looks OK.
Map Sensor: Reads 5v.

Got to thinking about over-thinking the MIL light. Apparently I wasn't waiting long enough to get a code before turning off the ignition. Waited 20 seconds this time and got 6 long and 6 short - Crank position sensor.
Checked the wires at the sensor. Looked good, so I inspected the connector behind the battery. Not so good. Appeared pretty full of crap from being exposed to the elments which would increase the resistance. Cleaned the connectors, applied Stabilant22, re-connected and covered with heat shrink.
Got it all back together and took a ride.

Definite improvement in throttle. Doesn't sputter anymore at WOT, but still not getting the power to get over 52mph.
Map Sensor, maybe?
Anyone pulled the MAP to check/clean?

'12 C5 Classic

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #27 on: September 21, 2018, 01:45:54 am
I haven't even peered into my engine cases but it sounds like your on the right track.

There is no way in hell your 500 should be limited to 52 mph.
Maybe you'll be lucky and find the screws that hold the crank position sensor are loose and tightening them back up will fix things?

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: September 28, 2018, 01:09:09 pm
Ok, so I now have 6 of my normal 7-day break left to dick with this confounding problem, less any time running the dogs to and fro from the vet and groomer.
Jim, I'll check the crank position mounting screws first. If no improvement, then see about cleaning the MAP sensor. I'll update on the progress.

'12 C5 Classic

Dalmatian man

• Bulleteer
Reply #29 on: September 28, 2018, 05:36:04 pm
Your tps voltages are on the low side, aim for 0,7 to 0.75 on idle and as close to 5.0 volts on full throttle.
33cc cyclemaster
James Cadet
James Comodore
Honda C50
Suzuki Gn250
BMW 650
Honda Hornet 600
BMW R1100RS
Royal Enfield C5 2014
BMW G310R