Author Topic: Top Speed and Sweet Spot  (Read 20511 times)

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 12:29:19 am
My '08 Bullet seems to love the same 45-55 most others have mentioned and gets a consistent 70mpg. I don't have many flat roads around here, so that's my daily commute twisting out of the Blue Ridge Mountains down to work in Lynchburg, Va. I just passed the 4000 mile mark and it seems like the cruise speed is creeping up. It was once a chore to maintain a steady 55 mph but now it'll zip on up to 60 and beyond if I'm not paying attention.
08 Bullet ES (AVL)
The Enfield saves on gas, riding the Enfield saves on Prozac. ;)

webnash

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: October 18, 2008, 03:52:57 pm
I changed throttle slides on my 08 avl recently to one size richer with cold weather coming on. It was just a touch on the sticky side, but instead of taking it out and polishing it, I reasoned that since it was soft zinc it would wear in (it's an amal 32mm). I was then on a straight away and wound up the throttle as far as it would go and layed on the tank. After the bike got up to about 85 on the speedometer (actually about 78mph since my speedo is off) I let go of the throttle and of course it stayed right there. I was still accelerating and heading for a somewhat tight corner. After shaking the cable a few times I hit the kill switch and coasted to a stop. Since the throttle slide had stuck and put slack in the cable, when I was shaking it the little stop on the end of the cable against the throttle grip had fallen off. I walked back and searched for it in vain. I got the slide unstuck and had to ride home (about 20 miles) with my right hand on the cable, pulling on it to go faster - wasn't my most pleasant ride.

I've also noticed that I seem to keep going slightly faster and I find myself going about 65-70 on the speedo when I'm looking. I have about 2K. The amal carb, K&N filter, and classic exhaust have added a nice sound, good feel, less vibration, and plenty of power for me. I'm over 200lbs and 6', and was feeling underpowered in stock mode. Now it's even comfortable 2 up.

I had some challenge finding the right jetting on amal. I ended up at float jet set at 1mm below edge of bowl, pilot set at 7/8 turn, #3 slide, 107 needle jet, needle in the middle slot, 240 main jet. That's for about 800' above sea level and 50 degrees. It now starts on one kick, idles at good levels both cold and hot, no popping on deceleration, smooth power and acceleration at all speeds, lightly tanned plug.

I love the sound of the classic exhaust. I thought it was too quiet until a few days ago when I passed some pedestrians on a hill and most of them put their hands over their ears. With power comes responsibilities.

The Ural comments were interesting to me. I'd like to have a second bike with a sidecar for longer trips or bringing my guitar or fishing gear with me. My challenges with the Ural were mileage and price. What kind of mileage does the RE get with a sidecar? I'm also wondering if having 2 kinds of bikes that I do the mechanicing on would make life too complicated. I also have never ridden with a sidecar, what's it like? I have heard lots of horror stories about crashes. Does it take the run away by not leaning the bike on corners?

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #17 on: October 18, 2008, 04:06:53 pm
Since the throttle slide had stuck and put slack in the cable, when I was shaking it the little stop on the end of the cable against the throttle grip had fallen off. I walked back and searched for it in vain.

When you replace the little stop (I think it's called a furrel) put a dab of stickem on it so it won't fall out next time.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

webnash

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 02:47:22 am
great idea! thank you

I am also pleased to have an official name for it now. I actually loaded up on 4 of them from the local bicycle shop.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 01:58:50 pm
Webnash,

Sidecar riding is fun, useful and can be very dangerous if your not familiar with riding one.

It's very easy to over cook a corner, if it's a right hand corner you could easily get into big trouble. A left hand corner is different but can also be troublesome.

It would be highly advisable to have an experienced hacker show you the ropes.

Also have it setup by someone who really knows the hack. Unless your really mechanical and can follow instructions to the letter, which are available.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 02:02:44 pm by PhilJ »

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 02:36:14 am
Ive changed my mind about the sweet spot . After a couple or three beers the other night the bike really picked up her petty coat and showed me some new tricks.

My sweet spot is now officially declared as more like 100KMH. Whizzing through the deserted county side in the cool night air me N the bike really enjoyed out little trip home.

When we got home she just sat there with lights still on and the engine gently thumping,- as i got off her Im sure she whispered       "is that it? is that all you require  of me "?

I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 05:19:29 am
After a couple or three beers the other night the bike really picked up her petty coat and showed me some new tricks.

What brand of beer does your bike like?  Mine is partial to Guinness.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 01:37:55 pm
I met some good folks from Australia about 3 months ago. In the course of discussing beer they said that Guinness was only consumed in other countries, certainly not in Australia. FWIW

fun2drum

• FUN 2 DRUM
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 08:49:20 pm
It's amazing how fast a thread can totally change directions.  :D

I don't really know why it would be important what Australians think of Guinness, since it's an Irish beer.  On the other hand, if they're saying they don't drink Fosters in Australia, then that's another thing entirely.    :o

The Family Fleet:
2008 Royal Enfield Electra
2002 Buell Blast
1973 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Convertible
...and a couple of boring and more practicle family vehicles that I won't mention here.

Jon

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: October 20, 2008, 09:17:48 pm
I once knew an Aussie called Bruce who had a girlfriend called Sheila and
neither of 'em drank at all, for some reason I found that really unusual.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: October 20, 2008, 10:49:36 pm
It's amazing how fast a thread can totally change directions.  :D

I don't really know why it would be important what Australians think of Guinness, since it's an Irish beer.  On the other hand, if they're saying they don't drink Fosters in Australia, then that's another thing entirely.    :o

F2D, You are soooo right. I hate these brain fa*ts..

Probably because I don't drink either one of those. Good German for me.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 10:53:04 pm by PhilJ »

fun2drum

• FUN 2 DRUM
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #26 on: October 21, 2008, 02:55:05 am
It's cool, PhilJ...
Brain fa*ts are a way of life for me.
The Family Fleet:
2002 Buell Blast
...and a couple of boring and more practicle family vehicles that I won't mention here.

Nacho

• Scooter
Reply #27 on: October 21, 2008, 05:18:51 pm
webnash,

I had a similar problem on an old BSA.  It didn't have a kill switch so I had to pull the HT lead off as I approached a roundabout!! Ouch  :o

It seems that with Amals if you overtighten the mounting nuts it warps the body and causes the slide to stick.  I still have 2 BSAs with Amals and I tighten the nuts just enough that I can still move the carb about (slightly) with a bit of force.  Has been ok for the last 25 years with no air leaks - but you have to check the nuts periodically!!

Sorry to hi-jack the thread. (this is why I have a Mikuni on my RE)

AJY

• Scooter
Reply #28 on: October 30, 2008, 03:37:37 am
Is thier such a thing as a sweet spot on these bikes, I am having a hard time believing in it.  Top speeds in excess of 55mph, has the whole world of GROWN UP MOTORCYLISTS GONE NUTS.   

Maybe thier is to much drinking going on in this crowd of 1%ers. 
When all else fails "Ride, Rape, and Pillage" 
two wheels are beter then one

fun2drum

• FUN 2 DRUM
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #29 on: October 30, 2008, 11:26:39 am
AJY, what would you rather hear from us?  ... that we're going 120 up hill?  These bikes are what they are, and we like them that way.    ;)
The Family Fleet:
2002 Buell Blast