Author Topic: Top Speed and Sweet Spot  (Read 20558 times)

fun2drum

• FUN 2 DRUM
  • Grease Monkey
on: October 02, 2008, 11:38:59 am
Those of you with Electra's, What's your top speed after break-in?  I don't mean down hill with a strong tail wind, but on a real life level road. 

Plus, What is your bike's sweet spot speed?  In other words, what speed is your bike happiest going on a long highway ride?

While you're at it, what's on your odometer and what kind of gas mileage are you getting?
The Family Fleet:
2008 Royal Enfield Electra
2002 Buell Blast
1973 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Convertible
...and a couple of boring and more practicle family vehicles that I won't mention here.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 02:27:59 pm
The only time I did a top speed run after break in, I did about 82 mph and could have squeezed a bit more I think. After that, I added a performance kit and a 19-tooth sprocket. I don't think I added any additional top end, becuase the big single runs out of poop at higher rpm. That, and wind resistance saps a lot of power at high speeds. My sweet spot became wider as it broke in. Now, anything between 50 and 65 feels pretty good, and occasionally 70+. 50-60 is probably my favorite speed, the bike feels barely off idle and I get great milage (70-80 mpg).

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 05:39:58 pm
Sitting up, my top speed is 73-77 mph,( 91 octane) I'm 6'1 and 230 lbs. Bike has 1400 miles, don't like to push it . I held it at top speed for 10-15 seconds. Mpg approx. 65-75.
 I think I would easily get in the mid 80's mpg if I thumped at 35 mph.
 My RE likes 40-55 mph.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 05:43:26 pm by REpozer »
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 05:46:44 pm
are these speedometer speeds? gps speeds ?speed is always an interesting subject. but i find myself liking 55 mph and maybe 60 even on my triumph.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 09:24:08 pm
Top speed ?? I dunno above 70 mph. Had it there once.

Sweet spot w/least vibration 52 indicated. Comfort range 40-55 mph indicated.

Odometer 5900 +- miles since April 13, 08

Mid 80s running 40-55 mostly 40-50. One high mileage 92.5, I don't think I ran any different then.l Must have been a combo of light wind and exceptional gas.

Jerry

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 12:11:37 am
I don't know the top speed.  Never needed to find out.  Sweet spot was 58 mph...I just changed to 19 tooth sprocket  and haven't  had a chance to try it out yet. Had been getting 75 mpg very consistently.

'08 Military AVL with windshield.
Jerry.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 12:13:15 am by Jerry »

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 02:01:37 am
  Mine definately likes70 KPH ::)
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

fun2drum

• FUN 2 DRUM
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 03:42:26 am
I just realized I asked the question, but didn't include my numters... Well, here they are:

Honestly, I've not tried mine out for the top speed yet.  I'm guessing it's probably about 80 mph.   I just turned over 2,000 miles on the odometer so I guess it's safe now to see what she'll do.  I think I'll get on I-40 for a few miles and do it up this weekend. 

My sweet spot seems to be around 65 mph, and my gas mileage is 80 mpg as calculated on a 2 hour two lane highway trip with several small towns and traffic lights thrown it along the way. 

Clamp, your sweet spot is 70?  That's doing pretty good.  I can do 70 no problem but the sweet spot isn't there yet.  Maybe after I get a few more miles. 
The Family Fleet:
2002 Buell Blast
...and a couple of boring and more practicle family vehicles that I won't mention here.

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 04:42:47 am
70 kilometers per hour.---

Thats approx   43.750  exactly!!  of American miles per hour.

Its a 350 iron horse.

Plenty fast enough for me, Im not a head in the clocks kinda guy. I got another machine for that.

I have to say that I really dont think your Re will last long doing this speed trial stuff.

staib

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 08:38:31 pm
Gotta say I'm with the 50-55mph (indicated) guys on this for that sweet 'ride forever' feeling - I pushed her up to 70+mph to check out a nice pillion rider on a BMW the other day (I even got a smile  :))but kept imagining mechanical things breaking or bending! Wouldn't want to sustain that sort of speed for long, though its nice to know it's there if you need to get past something...
"Vixen" 500cc Royal Enfield Electra Classic
"Blondie" Piaggio X9 500cc maxi-scooter
"Zoomer" 50cc Honda Ruckus

Previous rides include: H-D Sportster, BMW R65 and K100, various Hondas and a Ducati

fun2drum

• FUN 2 DRUM
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 08:55:34 pm
70 kilometers per hour.---

Thats approx   43.750  exactly!!  of American miles per hour.

Its a 350 iron horse.

Plenty fast enough for me, Im not a head in the clocks kinda guy. I got another machine for that.

I have to say that I really dont think your Re will last long doing this speed trial stuff.

OK, you got me with that one...kilometers...I get it now...  :P

And I don't want all of us to start a top speed competition - Parts would be rattling off our bikes every day.  No, not that, but I also know that it's hard to resist the temptation just to see what that limit is JUST ONCE.  I thought it would be interesting to see those numbers. 

The Family Fleet:
2002 Buell Blast

Jon

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 09:06:29 pm
One of the UK mags, GBG or Real Classic put an AVL through the traps at 82mph
which is about right for a traditional big single, B33,G80,MSS etc, I think a hopped
up one made 92 which again is about right. Most of the Brit tests seem to indicate
that holding a 65-70 cruising gait on the motorway(freeway) is quite possible
without any ill effects but is not very comfortable, despite a 70mph limit cruising
at that speed does put you in the slow lane.

prof_stack

Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 12:35:18 am
Just for comparison, my all-stock 2000 Buell Blast got up to 92mph indicated with no ill effects and me crouched over on the gas tank..  Sweet spot was 45-60 MPH.  But it would cruise at 70mph all day with no complaints other than drinking a little oil.  Gas mileage was around 66mpg for my riding style with a high of 80 on one tank.

fun2drum

• FUN 2 DRUM
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: October 04, 2008, 02:06:25 am
Yes, Prof, I've got a Buell Blast too, or at least my wife does.  I think my RE is more comfortable overall, but not nearly as peppy. 
The Family Fleet:
2002 Buell Blast

jimsE

• Scooter
  • Lovin the ride
Reply #14 on: October 04, 2008, 11:22:35 am
'08 Electra, 4200 miles, performance kit, 19 tooth sprocket.
top speed, 86 mph speedometer, 82 gps
sweet spot, 57-62
mpg, 63 (stock best was 75)
The sweet spot and mileage is pretty consistent during a 46 mile commute that takes me on two-lane  roads and through two small towns.  It is running a little dark on the plug with the smallest main jet supplied with the flat slide Keihin & needle clip in the center groove.  It seemed to have more power with the needle lowered one notch but the plug looked too light for me to feel comfortable.
2008 Electra, smiling jim

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 12:29:19 am
My '08 Bullet seems to love the same 45-55 most others have mentioned and gets a consistent 70mpg. I don't have many flat roads around here, so that's my daily commute twisting out of the Blue Ridge Mountains down to work in Lynchburg, Va. I just passed the 4000 mile mark and it seems like the cruise speed is creeping up. It was once a chore to maintain a steady 55 mph but now it'll zip on up to 60 and beyond if I'm not paying attention.
08 Bullet ES (AVL)
The Enfield saves on gas, riding the Enfield saves on Prozac. ;)

webnash

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: October 18, 2008, 03:52:57 pm
I changed throttle slides on my 08 avl recently to one size richer with cold weather coming on. It was just a touch on the sticky side, but instead of taking it out and polishing it, I reasoned that since it was soft zinc it would wear in (it's an amal 32mm). I was then on a straight away and wound up the throttle as far as it would go and layed on the tank. After the bike got up to about 85 on the speedometer (actually about 78mph since my speedo is off) I let go of the throttle and of course it stayed right there. I was still accelerating and heading for a somewhat tight corner. After shaking the cable a few times I hit the kill switch and coasted to a stop. Since the throttle slide had stuck and put slack in the cable, when I was shaking it the little stop on the end of the cable against the throttle grip had fallen off. I walked back and searched for it in vain. I got the slide unstuck and had to ride home (about 20 miles) with my right hand on the cable, pulling on it to go faster - wasn't my most pleasant ride.

I've also noticed that I seem to keep going slightly faster and I find myself going about 65-70 on the speedo when I'm looking. I have about 2K. The amal carb, K&N filter, and classic exhaust have added a nice sound, good feel, less vibration, and plenty of power for me. I'm over 200lbs and 6', and was feeling underpowered in stock mode. Now it's even comfortable 2 up.

I had some challenge finding the right jetting on amal. I ended up at float jet set at 1mm below edge of bowl, pilot set at 7/8 turn, #3 slide, 107 needle jet, needle in the middle slot, 240 main jet. That's for about 800' above sea level and 50 degrees. It now starts on one kick, idles at good levels both cold and hot, no popping on deceleration, smooth power and acceleration at all speeds, lightly tanned plug.

I love the sound of the classic exhaust. I thought it was too quiet until a few days ago when I passed some pedestrians on a hill and most of them put their hands over their ears. With power comes responsibilities.

The Ural comments were interesting to me. I'd like to have a second bike with a sidecar for longer trips or bringing my guitar or fishing gear with me. My challenges with the Ural were mileage and price. What kind of mileage does the RE get with a sidecar? I'm also wondering if having 2 kinds of bikes that I do the mechanicing on would make life too complicated. I also have never ridden with a sidecar, what's it like? I have heard lots of horror stories about crashes. Does it take the run away by not leaning the bike on corners?

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #17 on: October 18, 2008, 04:06:53 pm
Since the throttle slide had stuck and put slack in the cable, when I was shaking it the little stop on the end of the cable against the throttle grip had fallen off. I walked back and searched for it in vain.

When you replace the little stop (I think it's called a furrel) put a dab of stickem on it so it won't fall out next time.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

webnash

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 02:47:22 am
great idea! thank you

I am also pleased to have an official name for it now. I actually loaded up on 4 of them from the local bicycle shop.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 01:58:50 pm
Webnash,

Sidecar riding is fun, useful and can be very dangerous if your not familiar with riding one.

It's very easy to over cook a corner, if it's a right hand corner you could easily get into big trouble. A left hand corner is different but can also be troublesome.

It would be highly advisable to have an experienced hacker show you the ropes.

Also have it setup by someone who really knows the hack. Unless your really mechanical and can follow instructions to the letter, which are available.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 02:02:44 pm by PhilJ »

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 02:36:14 am
Ive changed my mind about the sweet spot . After a couple or three beers the other night the bike really picked up her petty coat and showed me some new tricks.

My sweet spot is now officially declared as more like 100KMH. Whizzing through the deserted county side in the cool night air me N the bike really enjoyed out little trip home.

When we got home she just sat there with lights still on and the engine gently thumping,- as i got off her Im sure she whispered       "is that it? is that all you require  of me "?

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 05:19:29 am
After a couple or three beers the other night the bike really picked up her petty coat and showed me some new tricks.

What brand of beer does your bike like?  Mine is partial to Guinness.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 01:37:55 pm
I met some good folks from Australia about 3 months ago. In the course of discussing beer they said that Guinness was only consumed in other countries, certainly not in Australia. FWIW

fun2drum

• FUN 2 DRUM
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 08:49:20 pm
It's amazing how fast a thread can totally change directions.  :D

I don't really know why it would be important what Australians think of Guinness, since it's an Irish beer.  On the other hand, if they're saying they don't drink Fosters in Australia, then that's another thing entirely.    :o

The Family Fleet:
2002 Buell Blast

Jon

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: October 20, 2008, 09:17:48 pm
I once knew an Aussie called Bruce who had a girlfriend called Sheila and
neither of 'em drank at all, for some reason I found that really unusual.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: October 20, 2008, 10:49:36 pm
It's amazing how fast a thread can totally change directions.  :D

I don't really know why it would be important what Australians think of Guinness, since it's an Irish beer.  On the other hand, if they're saying they don't drink Fosters in Australia, then that's another thing entirely.    :o

F2D, You are soooo right. I hate these brain fa*ts..

Probably because I don't drink either one of those. Good German for me.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 10:53:04 pm by PhilJ »

fun2drum

• FUN 2 DRUM
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #26 on: October 21, 2008, 02:55:05 am
It's cool, PhilJ...
Brain fa*ts are a way of life for me.
The Family Fleet:
2002 Buell Blast

Nacho

• Scooter
Reply #27 on: October 21, 2008, 05:18:51 pm
webnash,

I had a similar problem on an old BSA.  It didn't have a kill switch so I had to pull the HT lead off as I approached a roundabout!! Ouch  :o

It seems that with Amals if you overtighten the mounting nuts it warps the body and causes the slide to stick.  I still have 2 BSAs with Amals and I tighten the nuts just enough that I can still move the carb about (slightly) with a bit of force.  Has been ok for the last 25 years with no air leaks - but you have to check the nuts periodically!!

Sorry to hi-jack the thread. (this is why I have a Mikuni on my RE)

AJY

• Scooter
Reply #28 on: October 30, 2008, 03:37:37 am
Is thier such a thing as a sweet spot on these bikes, I am having a hard time believing in it.  Top speeds in excess of 55mph, has the whole world of GROWN UP MOTORCYLISTS GONE NUTS.   

Maybe thier is to much drinking going on in this crowd of 1%ers. 
When all else fails "Ride, Rape, and Pillage" 
two wheels are beter then one

fun2drum

• FUN 2 DRUM
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #29 on: October 30, 2008, 11:26:39 am
AJY, what would you rather hear from us?  ... that we're going 120 up hill?  These bikes are what they are, and we like them that way.    ;)
The Family Fleet:
2002 Buell Blast

AJY

• Scooter
Reply #30 on: October 30, 2008, 12:29:38 pm
No I don't think that 120mph up hill is going to work.  I want some truth.

And the truth is that holding the throttle wide up for any period of extended time is >
(A LESSON IN THE STOOL OF DISAPLIN) 
VIBRATION WILL REACH MAXIMUM VELOCITY, PARTS WILL START TO COME LOSE,  AND YOU AND YOUR BIKE WILL NOT BE HAPPY.  THAT BEING SAID i HAVE TO GET BACK TO WORK TIGHTENING THE HORN, MY CARBURATOR , AND PRIMARY CASE, ON MY HARLEY FROM YESTERDAYS RIDE.  :P

Actually I am trying to build community presence so you really cant take me to seriously.  I do understand the limits of these bikes.  I just want to have fun and fun does not mean in excess of 75mph.   But on the other hand where I live most of the roads require 50mph, so I just don't want to left behind. 

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #31 on: October 30, 2008, 12:53:57 pm
Is thier such a thing as a sweet spot on these bikes, I am having a hard time believing in it.  Top speeds in excess of 55mph, has the whole world of GROWN UP MOTORCYLISTS GONE NUTS.   

Maybe thier is to much drinking going on in this crowd of 1%ers. 
When all else fails "Ride, Rape, and Pillage" 

When you sieze your first piston, and/or put your first broken con-rod thru the engine cases, you'll believe it.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

RoyalRider

• RoyalRider
  • Scooter
  • How do you like that helmet?
Reply #32 on: November 02, 2008, 12:02:30 am
Hmm. . .how do I answer this? I ride a 2006 Electra with a sport windscreen on it. I'm 5'8" tall and 220 lbs. My RE has 6600 miles on it and everything is stock. My speedometer runs about 5mph fast (40 is really 35 etc.) and I've only run it up to about 70mph actual. The sweet spot on mine is somewhere between 45 and 55 mph actual.
RoyalRider
"Ride hard or go home!"

AJY

• Scooter
Reply #33 on: November 02, 2008, 04:24:59 am
Well guys I have this conception of what a sweet spot for a vehicle of the 2 or 3 or 4 wheel interpretation is. 

Sweet spot defined: at a certain speed the vehicle travels with the harmony of all its parts and person in every aspect of its conception, design and engineering.  Maintaining this harmonic journey takes place in each independent gear therefore creating sweetspots through out the vehicles movement. 
This would be my opinion.
 My Harley FXDX would be 70 to 80 in 5th gear.  4th gear 60 to 65, 3rd 50, 2nd 35 to 40. 
My YamahaTW225 was 5th 50, 4th 40, 3rd  30 to 35, 2nd 25
Based on my past experience with several bikes  I will conclude that the sweetest spot is in the gearing in relation to mph usually at a comfortable cruising speed. 
I would hope that the AVL engine models would be comfortable at 65mph actual speed.  I do not think this is allot to ask. 
Now so many of the group have stressed the idea of leaving the bike stock.  OK > but why does the manufacturer represent this bike as bike with performance up grades, and racing history.  Please do not mss understand me.  Anything no mater how fast or slow can be raced.  It just seems to me that the consensus of the comunity is to not tamper with the motor, > but you can change the seat, and add some other bolt on stuff.  I think HD had this idea all sold up long ago.  I am not an advocate of the bolt on junkies, most things I like to add usually in some respect will improve ridability and maybe a little of the cool factor.

THATS MY STORY AND I AM STICKEN TO IT  ::)

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: November 02, 2008, 12:55:17 pm
AJY,

Why are you YELLING at us?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: November 02, 2008, 02:48:34 pm
AJY,
After the bike is broken-in fully, an Electra or AVL type bike will probably be able to do 65mph on the highway for cruising. It would probably be best to put the 18-tooth sprocket on there to raise the gearing a little bit, if you plan to cruise at 65mph regularly.

Regarding your comments about performance mods for racing and stuff, yes they can be done, but they are not designed to significantly increase the long term cruising speeds of the bike. They are mostly for acceleration purposes, and for relatively shorter-term bursts of higher speeds.

The "sweet spot" for these engines is around 75% of max, which would come out around  60mph, plus or minus a little, depending on how your particular bike runs.

The AVL with all of the parts that are available to put on it for performance will yield about 30hp at best, perfectly tuned.

DO NOT  try to do higher speed cruising before the break-in is complete. Period.
After that, I think that 65mph cruising is possible with an AVL with the aftermarket exhaust system and a free-flow air filter. The AVL engine cools a bit better than the iron engine, so it can do a little higher cruising speed than the iron engine. But, not a whole lot higher. If you want 65mph cruising, I think you can get that, if you are patient with the break-in, and then get the free-flow exhaust and air filter.

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: November 02, 2008, 06:20:51 pm
    Yeah, since I bought the iron engine, I'm looking at the bikes from a bit different point of view. I'm thinking my Classic is fine at an actual 50mph (when the speedo says 55), and I've heard the AVL can do higher speeds, and may even get better gas mileage. Still, I love my iron engined Classic, and thats what I wanted.
    Doesn't the AVL have a roller bearing main bearing, rather than the iron engine's "floating bush"? Form everything I know, the limiting factors on the irons is the main bearing,con rod, and piston. Push an iron too hard and one or more of these will fail. But I've also heard that these components are fine if the bike is left stock, and not pushed to the limit a lot.
    Here's hoping my '07 turns 40,000= miles.

Jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: November 02, 2008, 07:37:51 pm
    Yeah, since I bought the iron engine, I'm looking at the bikes from a bit different point of view. I'm thinking my Classic is fine at an actual 50mph (when the speedo says 55), and I've heard the AVL can do higher speeds, and may even get better gas mileage. Still, I love my iron engined Classic, and thats what I wanted.
    Doesn't the AVL have a roller bearing main bearing, rather than the iron engine's "floating bush"? Form everything I know, the limiting factors on the irons is the main bearing,con rod, and piston. Push an iron too hard and one or more of these will fail. But I've also heard that these components are fine if the bike is left stock, and not pushed to the limit a lot.
    Here's hoping my '07 turns 40,000= miles.

Jon

Yes, the iron engine has a floating bush big end, and alloy con rod and sometimes the pistons aren't real good.
But, the design is not necessarily the problem. The design will do fine as long as limits are observed.
The AVL has roller big end, steel con rod, and gear(gerotor) oil pumps, and an alloy cylinder. These are improvements over the old style, for harder duty. However, they have also been known to fail for similar reasons that the iron engine failed. The QC isn't so good at the factory. But in truth, most of the AVL failures also come from piston seizures or piston failures. So, the root lies in breaking the engine in sufficiently to wear down the crosshatch pattern on the bore, and let it ride in a smooth surface where heat can transfer out the rings to the cylinder fins.
People don't like to hear about the break-in period, but that's what these bikes need.

AJY

• Scooter
Reply #38 on: November 02, 2008, 09:42:05 pm
Sorry guys I wasn't yelling > I did not realize that the text was Bold.  Really I might be crazy but not nasty or angry.  I may seem impossible, > I think I am just used to certain roads and riding, and all the talk of the bullet being so easy to break, is just letting me down.  I relay like the bikes and enjoyed riding it.  When I saw all the neat stuff you can get for them and customise them a little , I felt as though I found moto nirvana of other kind.   

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: November 02, 2008, 09:51:13 pm
Like I posted on the other thread, you can hit those speeds up to 80mph after the break-in period, but don't try to sustain those speeds.
Sustained speeds of under 60mph with the Iron Bullet and probably about 65mph with the Electra X.

We need to make the distinction here between being able to hit  75mph, and trying to sustain that speed.
You can hit that speed temporarily, and then back off to let it cool down awhile.
You cannot sustain that speed unless you are courting engine failure.

Adrian

Reply #40 on: November 04, 2008, 10:17:59 pm
AJY,

try this for size:

my Electra-X when fitted with the Dell'orto carb and stock 18 tooth counter-shaft sprocket actually had a sweet spot around 72 indicated mph, probably just under70 in real life. It just smoothed out and felt like it could carry on like that for miles. With an occasional backing off of the throttle to allow a little extra oil onto the cylinder wall I am sure it would have been fine for more than just a few minutes.

Dropping to a 17T sprocket has brought the sweet spot down a little, but it's still there. I can cruise at higher speeds than I would on a (stock) iron engined Bullet, it's fine for UK motorway traffic and should cope with any roads you have. Some of the publicity material around when I bought my Electra claimed that the engine was designed to cope with 44 horsepower, so if a tuned example is supposed to good for (only) 31 bhp with the best available components there's still a safe margin. Assuming the factory has put it together right and the owner has taken the trouble to break it in properly, an AVL-engined 500 Bullet with sports exhaust and correctly set-up carb should cruise at 65mph like you want. I know mine will!

If you seriously want one with more relaxed higher speed cruising 19 and even 20 tooth counter-shaft sprockets are available, although you might lose the higher revs in 5th gear if you fit one.

A.

AJY

• Scooter
Reply #41 on: November 05, 2008, 03:37:01 am
Ace I think you seem to have it pretty well on target to what my vision is for the big picture of riding this bike.  65 or less for highway runs, varied speeds is best,  maybe a shot of juice once and awhile.  Next question > to me sustained speed would be more then 5 minutes at a time.  I don't think that I would want more then 5 minutes of over 65mph on the bullet AVL type engine. 

Now 23hp > you scare me > my Honda 50cc did 40mph all day when I was a kid,  I drove cross country on my first HD sportster (not recomended)  many said I was crazy and yes I believe at the time I was, but also at an age when that kinda thing worked, you conquered, in the rain, and what ever, yes after a five hundred mile day you got off the bike and hoped you would stop vibrating before you woke up the next morning.   I could never ride on a highway at 50mph in NJ that is a death wish.

Adrain > you are also full of good advise  I will stick with you and ace. 
I am sorry 23hp  but your story sounds a little to wimpy for me > I still can not see a 500c single that does not feel ok to ride at 50 to 60mph.  If that's the case maybe its not the motorcycle ::)

23hp

• Bulleteer
Reply #42 on: November 05, 2008, 08:28:58 am
AJY

Calling people Wimps when they try to help you makes me think that you should really go back to riding that Honda 50cc.  Probably suit you better...

Adrian

Reply #43 on: November 05, 2008, 09:55:19 am
I just read 23hp's previous post again.

The carb and exhaust issues are well known, but it's all a question of what you want your motorcycle to do and how well you break it in, set it up and ride it. We might all feel differently about this. 

I'm not sure about the classic framed AVL Bullets (our importers only supplied the Electra-X), but IMHO the Electra-X is over-geared in stock trim for us 6'3" types, which would explain why it doesn't make it much fun getting up those hills! Yes, you can cruise all day at 50 if that's what you want (assuming the stock seat will let you) but cruising at 60 is well within the engine's limits. Mine has managed over 10,000 miles so far, but I promise I will let you know if it goes bang.

Perhaps wimpy wasn't the best word to use (it also used to be the name of a hamburger chain over here, Popeye fans...), but at the end of the day you buy the motorcycle and you have to make your own risk assessment of what sort of riding counts as sensible use. If in doubt your local law enforcement may also have some input...  ;D

Let's hope your new President is motorcycle-friendly.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: November 05, 2008, 02:52:19 pm
Okay AJY, as long as I've got your ear, let's get some things nailed down.

First, let's be clear.Are you contemplating an Electra or an Iron Bullet?
It makes a difference,and if we know, then we can target our responses directly, instead of trying to cover all the bases for all the engines.

Next, you really have to stop the comparisons between various Hondas, HD, and other bikes, with the Bullet or Electra.
It doesn't matter what a Honda or HD can do, regarding what a Bullet can do. That's apples and oranges. All that matters when discussing a Bullet is what a Bullet can do. All this stuff about not being able to believe it, and all that sort of thing isn't going to change anything.  It is what it is, and it has limitations that are lower than HDs and Hondas.

Now, that said, if you want to crank up the power with hot-rod parts, ride the holy hell out of it, push it for all it's worth like a race bike, you can do that to an Iron Bullet. .
However, you will need to become very accustomed to engine rebuilding, and also spending alot of money for parts, rebuilds, and breakages.
There are alot more options for hot-rod parts with an Iron Bullet. There's very few options for the AVL/Electra.
You can push the Iron Bullet 500 to about 31rwhp, the 535 big-bore Iron Bullet to about 33rwhp, and if you get the 612cc stroker kit, you can get 40rwhp.
I know all about what it takes to do this, because I'm building one right now, and I have friends that have also done it, and some also have done the full-out 612 kits. I've been researching and discussing various ways of Bullet building for 3 years, with some of the best Bullet builders with the most experience and knowledge, probably in the world.
You're gonna put about $5k-$6k into building an engine like that. If you ride it hard, you'll be rebuilding each year or two.
Your first step is the $1600 billet crankshaft, racing rod, oversize-crankpin with Alpha roller bearing on the big-end, and a top-grade set of European-made main bearings.
If you don't start with that, you're pissing into the wind, because the normal bottom end will fail in no time flat with a hot-rodded top end.
Then, you have to be very judicious in what you pick for the hot-rod parts such as cams, because you can lose your lower rpm torque very quickly, when you try to gain higher rpm power. Then the bike becomes a nightmare to ride on the street.
Additionally, a long stroke single is rpm limited by piston speeds, and no matter what you do, you're not going to get more than about 6500rpm out of this engine in any useful way. More like 6000rpm, realistically. Even with the racing crank/rod/bearings.
Your powerband will get narrow, and you'll have to rev it to get anywhere.
This means you'll have to get the 5-speed gearbox, because you're gonna be shifting alot to keep the engine in that narrow rpm powerband.

Now, you could put in the stroker crank and get the extra torque of the 612cc, but then you have  compounded the piston speed issues, and your rev limits get lower. Also, trying to feed the extra 100cc's requires wilder cams with higher lifts which stresses the valve train components even more. Your clutch isn't going to take this power level, so you can figure in another $900 for the racing clutch and belt-drive primary. Stock rear wheel spokes have been known to snap with this level of mods, so a hotrodded rear wheel build with racing rim and spokes would be a good idea. Just another $500.
Ya wanna be able to drag that horse down to a stop? Well, the disc brake kit and wheel are available for just another $500.

You're going to end up with about a $12k Bullet, because that's where all the rest of us wound up when doing it. No hope of re-selling it for anywhere near what it's worth, so you had better like it when it's done.

Are you sure you want to go down this road? You could buy an aircooled Sport-Desmo Ducati 1000cc twin for the same $12k that you're gonna spend.

The other option is to do a pipe and carb and air filter, and be satisfied with hp in the mid 20s, good torque and streetability, and the limitations that everyone else is riding Bullets with. That's the cost effective option.
And believe it or not, most people, including myself, have found that a Bullet with a pipe, and air filter change is a quite nice bike to ride that is as enjoyable as anything else we've ridden over the last 40 years that we've owned bikes.
A Bullet isn't really about trying to make everything a "blur" between Point A and Point B. A Bullet is about enjoying all the ride between Point A and Point B. You don't even really want to get to Point B, because then you have to get off the bike.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 03:28:29 pm by ace.cafe »

Nipper

• Scooter
Reply #45 on: November 06, 2008, 12:02:53 am
Hi , after speaking with my dealer , he reckons that upgrade mods will turn the Electra into a 100 mph bike  (who wants to travel that fast anyway). I can see the benefit in that  in that would give an advantage of getting away from traffic at lights a little quicker and out of the way of other vehicles,  also provide a higher cruising speed.. But if you took it to the extreme and spent a fortune on changing the power and performance of the bike to try and turn it into something that it was never meant to be... well why buy an Enfield in the first place..? They like to rev but they are not a bike for riders that want to ride fast.

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: November 06, 2008, 01:34:26 am
  You can buy a Ninja 250 for less that will do 100mph.

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

Adrian

Reply #47 on: November 06, 2008, 10:22:55 am
The 100 mph Electra-X has been done, but by a specialist Royal Enfield tuner who had more resources than many of us do!

I looked at the whole 612cc classic engine route before buying my Electra-X, very nice, but then I priced it up (add in a 5 speed gear box and belt drive clutch kit!), decided I'd need to buy an old Indian-built classic Bullet and completely rebuild it. As I already had a garage full of BSA projects at the time that I hadn't managed to restore, this didn't seem such a clever idea, particularly when RE were now offering a version of the Bullet with the uprated crank, oil pumps, disk brake, etc, etc... as standard. I could just buy one ready to ride with most of the things I wanted already done!

The downside of AVL engine ownership, as ace.cafe notes, is that things like sports cams and custom ignition kits are not readily available like they are for the classic Bullet engines. But with what is available, or maybe some careful modification of accessories that can be made to fit  ;D, you can end up with a bike that is good enough to give you that blast you wanted, with the knowledge that the tougher crankshaft is already in there! Ace.cafe's words hold good for AVL engine Bullets as much as for the Classic version.

The other option is to do a pipe and carb and air filter, and be satisfied with hp in the mid 20s, good torque and streetability, and the limitations that everyone else is riding Bullets with. That's the cost effective option.
And believe it or not, most people, including myself, have found that a Bullet with a pipe, and air filter change is a quite nice bike to ride that is as enjoyable as anything else we've ridden over the last 40 years that we've owned bikes.

I certainly remember Bill Harris comparing his Electra-X scrambler favorably with his B44 BSA Victor, perhaps that's a much better comparison...

A.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: November 06, 2008, 03:45:02 pm
I don't understand the desire to cruise at high speeds. I never see anybody doing it. I live in an area where people ride year-round. All types of bikes. One friend has a Goldwing, he likes cruising at 60. Another friend has an HD softtail, he likes to cruise about 60. I like to cruise at 60, and I still have enough in reserve to scoot up to 70 or even 80 if I want to. Here in NW  Florida, you sometimes see as many bikes on the road as cars, especially on weekends, but I seldom see anybody riding the superslab unless they absolutely have to. No one rides interstate jut to enjoy the afternoon. And, if you are one of those riders who insist on riding 100+ on rural backroads for the adrenaline rush, please do it somewhere else.

Old biker adage: "If you ride fast, you ride alone."

Jon

• Bulleteer
Reply #49 on: November 06, 2008, 09:01:54 pm
Try looking at the Bullet in terms of it's contempoary designs,it took a very hot
500 single indeed to make over 30BHP,probably only the Velocette Thruxton
and the DBD34 not the easiest bikes to live with.

Or look at it this way a 27bhp motorcycle weighing about 350lbs will give
you a top whack of about 85-95 dependant on conditions, rider, clothing,
fairing etc. for example the Triumph Tiger 90,5TA,Velocette Viper,Honda CB250K
Yamaha SR400/500 etc.

The iron bullet isn't really safe past 27bhp,the last Big Head Bullets were held
at that output by the factory as tuning them further without drastic bottom
end mods resulted in shrapnel all over the road.

The AVL should be stronger and it's power to weight ratio would put you
in the low 80's as a max speed just like the BSA B33, Matchless G80,
Velocette MSS,Suzuki GN400.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: November 06, 2008, 09:58:18 pm
Fun2drum:

You have received outstanding feedback from colleagues who truly know their engines -- my knowledge is certainly not as broad or as deep!  I have a 2004 Sixty-5 with a 34 MM Mikuni carburetor; a K&N pancake air filter; and, a Gold Star style pipe.  I use AMOCO Ultimate gas (with 1 ounce of Sta-Bil with every tankfull) and AMSOIL fully synthetic 20W-50 oil.  Through other modifications, I took about 20 pounds off the bike after delivery and I weigh 160 pounds, approximately.  For all these reasons, I cannot give you comparable AVL responses.  Nonetheless, your questions and my answers go as follows:

Q: "What's your top speed after break-in?"
A: 88 MPH (on a possibly optimistic RE speedometer) 

Q: "What is your bike's sweet spot speed?"
A: 60-65 MPH

Q: While you're at it, what's on your odometer..."
A: 8,000 miles (and change)

Q: "... and what kind of gas mileage are you getting?"
A: 60 MPG, approximately.

In closing and as others have indicated, the RE motorcycles are not about speed but for the other enjoyments they bring.  Lastly, there's another motorcycle adage:

"It's a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast" -- 60-65 MPH on an RE -- "than a fast bike slow".

Best regards,

Papa Juan
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

AJY

• Scooter
Reply #51 on: November 07, 2008, 06:08:27 am
Yes I have returned
First 23hp > I said that your story sounded  a little wimpy not that you are wimpy > the story.  Sorry.

ACE yes you have my ear ,  all the over the top stuff, stroker motor sounds great but I am sticking with carb, pipes, maybe ignition?  I am looking out a Bullet AVL motor Deluxe (red And Silver) 2009.   

Iuoma You probably don't see anybody doing it because they are way way way in front of you  ;D  Or it is possible that every one in Florida is retired and playing golf?  Only joking with you lets not get upset>  This is all about fun. riding and talking bikes. 

Maybe I do not translate well in the chat room > but I am very happy with a bullet that will be able to cruise at 65mph, I am not looking to drive it like my other bike.  But I must tell you all that I do love to ride that right bike on the right road at over 90mph > my  HDFXDX has no problem doing 120MPH and yes I have no problem pushing it to 120,  it tears up the highway with complete comfort.    Every bike has its own riding style, and the bullet is not for long fast runs down the highway.  I am buying the bullet because it is maybe the perfect bike for just scooting around to work and local stuff.  Not to drive to Laconia, or Sturgis. 

Adrain > " I will gladly pay Tuesday for a hamburger today"  wimpy says

Ace you never cleared up the question for my previous post about sustained speeds, are we in agreement?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: November 07, 2008, 05:01:28 pm

Ace you never cleared up the question for my previous post about sustained speeds, are we in agreement?

I think we're in agreement, if you are referring to the "sustained speed" meaning 5 minutes or less for speeds higher than 65mph.

As you go up higher in speeds over 65mph, then limit the time you spend at those speeds to less time as you go up. And give some time in between bursts to allow some cooling.

I think the AVL engine will be a bit easier to do this with, and you shouldn't have too many worries about 65mph with the AVL. I think on a well broken-in AVL, you should be able to ride for quite a long time at 65mph, particularly if you put on the 18 tooth front sprocket.

But remember, the break-in is critical, because even though it has the alloy cylinder and better oil pump and stuff, it can't do the proper piston cooling unless the rings are fully bedded to the bore, which will take most of the full break-in time to occur. The added oil splash from the higher-volume oil delivery flinging off the roller bearing big-end  onto the piston skirt will help to an extent, but it's best not to tempt fate.
Break it in right.

And don't just get on a barely-just-started bike and roar off at full tilt.
That's a guaranteed recipe for piston seizure in an aircooled engine. Due to the proximity to the heat source and the differential in mass, the piston will always begin to expand from heat before the cylinder barrel warms up and expands, and this will reduce the running clearance at the piston/cylinder wall. You must allow the cylinder barrel to come up to temp before pushing the bike hard.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 05:04:49 pm by ace.cafe »

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #53 on: November 07, 2008, 07:25:39 pm
With my stock '07 iron lung Classic, the bike will do 65mph actual, but I'm not very willing to do it for long...

Light bike with my 145lbs aboard, solo seat and stock bars -  just ain't comfy at that speed.  Feels much nicer around 50...

'course Ace has those Ace bars  ;D

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #54 on: November 07, 2008, 10:39:15 pm
my  HDFXDX has no problem doing 120MPH

AJY,
  Don't know jack about Harleys so tried looking up HDFXDX and came up with some
non-motorcycle stuff.  Is it a HD FXD that you have?
Leonard

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #55 on: November 07, 2008, 11:06:28 pm
my  HDFXDX has no problem doing 120MPH

AJY,
  Don't know jack about Harleys so tried looking up HDFXDX and came up with some
non-motorcycle stuff.  Is it a HD FXD that you have?
Leonard

HD FXDX = Dyna Super Glide Sport
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #56 on: November 08, 2008, 05:18:09 am

Thanks CJ, guess you'd be the man that would know.  Did a quick Google and see that it came out in 1999.  Must be discontinued as it isn't listed in the Dyna family on the HD website.
If I had to go 120mph I think I'd want something heavy like that.  Never been that fast so can't comment.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #57 on: November 08, 2008, 01:43:54 pm

Thanks CJ, guess you'd be the man that would know.  Did a quick Google and see that it came out in 1999.  Must be discontinued as it isn't listed in the Dyna family on the HD website.
If I had to go 120mph I think I'd want something heavy like that.  Never been that fast so can't comment.

I've been faster than that and if I were to do it again it would still be on a BMW.
Weight isn't the main criteria, it's handling.

AJY

• Scooter
Reply #58 on: November 12, 2008, 04:27:25 am
Well Lenard you got your answer from t120rbullet.  HD has moved most of their performace technology over to the VROD line,  and they are concentrating on following the chopper trend with custom designs and retro styling.  FXDX 's ended in 2006 > I think.   Anyway they are all Blacked out with little chrome, but a great shell to work from if you want to hop them up and maintain rideability.  The price point is great (for HD) and you don't waste time and money striping them down, also the best ride to beat the pants off, and maintain comfort.