Author Topic: First Post  (Read 3848 times)

flaggerphil

• Scooter
  • Row 4, Seat A
on: October 01, 2008, 05:25:15 am
Hi, All

I'm having a new Military delivered to my house tomorrow morning...bought it Saturday after going to the dealer (100 miles away) and doing a test ride.  Having no background in these bikes, other than they seem a blast to ride, what type of stuff should I look for?  The good or bad?  Things the "manual" doesn't tell you about?

Thanks!
Phil
Come to the dark side...we have cookies.

2009 Bullet Military

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 05:37:23 am
I would start by giving it a good safety check, make sure all the lights switches and locks work.  Take a ride, does it feel OK, check the brakes, check chain for slack.
Does it start OK, no strange noises, gas leaks, oil leaks.  Try to curb your excitement long enough to check it over.
I'm sure there will be more tips for you.

Welcome to the Forum,
Leonard
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 02:37:38 pm
Ditto what Leonard said... My high-beam and neutral indicator didn't work - neither was connected...

I spent a couple of nice days starting in the front and moving aft to blue loctite every fastener I could find.  Brand new bike, but the kick start lever and one of the front fender acorn bolts were VERY loose.  Haven't had anything vibrate off the bike in 2+ seasons and 6,700 miles. 

Also checked every electrical bullet connector I could find (headlight shell, under the tank, rear fender lights) for tightness and put a dab of dielectric grease on each. Re-routed several of the wires to make things a little less jumbled and bar-tied them out of the way of friction points.  Haven't had any electrical problems, either. 

I strongly suggest you reverse the crackcase breather tube and cap the return tube to the timing case.  Solved a problem with the breather system getting clogged up with "mayo" and causing severe oil blowby.  Details here:
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,676.0.html

I also cranked the rear shock down to the lowest preload setting - they were at the top, and STIFF - especially with my 145lbs on board...

Enjoy it!

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

Porkchop

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 04:38:12 pm
Here's a tip. Try not to giggle too much when you first get it. You end up looking stupid in front of your buddies.

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 05:20:12 pm
I'm with other posters regarding electrics. Invest a little time in tidying and tweaking those connections and you will get better reliability and be able to build more faith in the machine's get-you-home ability.

These things are best sorted out in your comfy shed rather than under a streetlight in a rainstorm.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

woodboats

• Grease Monkey
  • New Zealand
Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 07:43:22 pm
Congrats on getting yout new bike!
Good one.
Ours: 2006 Bullet Deluxe 500
Hers: 2007 Yamaha V Star 650
His: 2007 Honda Shadow Aero 750

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 08:40:14 pm
  Read your owners manual also, really find out what makes her tick.  These are very different bikes and the owners manual actually is very helpful while you get used to the bike.  Don't be afraid to ask questions, everyone on the site is very helpful, all of us have been through any situation you may encounter, and if not....someone else has.  Welcome aboard, don't be afraid to get dirty.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 04:22:33 pm
In addition to all the good advice above, the BIG thing with these bikes for good longevity is to pay close attention to  and follow religiously the instructions in the owners' manual for breakin.  DO NOT ride it the way some who don't know the bike may instruct, namely to ride it like you stole it; i.e., ride fast and long at high speed if you want.  With REs, that's the quickest way to piston seizure and other such 'niceties' you definitely do not want to happen.  Be very careful breaking the bike in as instructed and it will serve you well and long, and bring a smile to your face every time you throw a leg over it and kick it into life! :)
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

geoffbaker

Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 04:52:31 pm
I would add... there are threads on this forum about clutch and clutch technique.  It's very important on RE's to avoid overuse of the clutch... get her into neutral every time, instead...

flaggerphil

• Scooter
  • Row 4, Seat A
Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 02:31:22 pm
So the common wisdom with these bikes...vis a vis the clutch...is to put it in neutral when at a light or such, and not hold the clutch in?  Will the clutch start slipping?

I've put about 140 miles on it so far, keeping things according to the manual.
Phil

2009 Bullet Military

Phlakaton

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 02:38:45 pm
I ran my bike twice at speeds of 60 mph or so for about 10 mins without realizing the break-in was mucho important.  The dealer failed to tell me otherwise.   >:(  Everything sounds ok still.  I would imagine I could have done some damage to some things.  Since then I have been under 40mph and running in short intervals for ride time.

Do you think I might have botched anything on the break-in with those couple higher speed runs?  I do have some small oil leaks under the engine at the bottom next to the rear break... the barrel shaped part at the very bottom with the bolt on the end facing toward the front tire.

THanks!
'08 Bullet 500 Iron ES

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 03:54:15 pm
So the common wisdom with these bikes...vis a vis the clutch...is to put it in neutral when at a light or such, and not hold the clutch in?  Will the clutch start slipping?
I've put about 140 miles on it so far, keeping things according to the manual.
YES
Neutral is the way to go. The cable tends to stretch causing out of adjustment issues. There is very little clearance in the clutch mechanism between in and out. If you watch the shifter housing on the right as you squeeze the clutch you will see the case bulge or flex out. Between this flex and the cable stretch there isn't a lot of room for being out of adjustment. It doesn't take much stretch to loose your clutch.

The easiest way for me to get to neutral is when I am just below 10 mph and slowing, while still in 2nd, go to N by using the neutral finder or just a light pressure down on the shifter letting it "fall" out of gear into neutral. Neutral is in between 1st and second gear.
             Mike - 4 speed, left hand shift
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

flaggerphil

• Scooter
  • Row 4, Seat A
Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 08:20:08 pm
Ok...neutral it is when at a light.  I always put it in neutral when I come to a stop otherwise...I'll start doing it at traffic lights and such now, too.

Neutral finder?  I just pop the shift up (from first) or down (from second) until I feel it click into place...and the light comes on.

Generally, I've been keeping the bike between 35 and 40 mph most of the time when I ride (lots of back roads around here).  Had it up to 50 a couple of times, but only for a couple of very short spurts.  It's quite easy to keep the speed down and the rpm varied around here.  And the back roads are what I bought the bike for.  Fun riding.

I will say, the Military turns mucho heads!
Phil

2009 Bullet Military

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 08:27:24 pm
If you have a five speed you won't have a neutral finder or bulging side covers.

Neutral finder? 
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

flaggerphil

• Scooter
  • Row 4, Seat A
Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 09:07:37 pm
If you have a five speed you won't have a neutral finder or bulging side covers.

Neutral finder? 

Ah...that explains it.
Phil

2009 Bullet Military