aboard

Author Topic: Kickstart Procedure  (Read 334 times)

General_Apathy

• Neophyte
on: August 06, 2018, 01:20:45 pm
Seeing as there is nothing in the manual please could someone list the correct order/procedure for kick starting the GT. I have searched but get a few different approaches and I am looking for the official one :) The electric leg works every time but it seems a shame to not use the kickstart seeing as it's there.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 04:02:50 pm
First, kick the clutch clear. Pull in the clutch lever. Kick through. That un sticks the plates.
  Next, engage the enrichening lever.
Then turn on the key.
Depress the kick lever down until you find resistance. Let the lever come back up. Kick through.If it's cold I will twist the throttle. Let it return to no opening. Kick through. That's about it.
Here's a video I did in February that shows a cold kick start.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGVdIOCjAHM
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 07:33:23 pm
The only thing I can add is, when Guaire says "kick thru" it means don't give a partial kick.  The kick must provide power all the way down to the bottom of the stroke.

I've also found that using the "bi-start" lever even when the engine is warm or hot seems to be the "just right" amount of throttle opening so I don't try to move the throttle grip at all.  (Every time I try opening the throttle a bit I seem to over do it and the engine doesn't want to start.)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

General_Apathy

• Neophyte
Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 02:41:00 am
Brilliant, thank you. I will give it a go tonight.

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 01:26:14 pm
My method for the C5; should work for the GT too:

1. With the key off and the gearcase in Neutral, hand-crank the starter lever, turning the crankshaft, until you feel maximum resistance; this parks the cylinder at Top Dead Center.
2. Turn the key to ON and (most importantly) Let The Fuel Pump Pressurize The Fuel System - you can hear it stop whirring when it's ready.
3. Kick the lever briskly, all the way through. You may need to slightly feather the throttle as the ignition catches.

My Fiona starts first-time-every-time using this method.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

General_Apathy

• Neophyte
Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 07:04:24 pm
Thanks Rigger, much appreciated.