Author Topic: My New Favorite First Aid Repair Tape  (Read 2501 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 26, 2018, 04:50:52 pm
Not sure if any of you have seen this stuff while shopping the auto parts stores, but DEI Quick Fix Tape is some very cool stuff!

I recently replaced the clutch cable on my Harley.  But, bone head me wasn't paying attention when re-installing the exhaust pipe.  It resulted in the plastic cable housing melting all the metal core, allowing transmission fluid to puke everywhere and was leaving nasty puddles.

Ultra Black RTV is always my go to for something like this, but was concerned of fluid leaking back out before the silicone had a chance to set.  And if you've never had that happen before, for the record, it makes an even bigger mess than you had before.  Remembering seeing the Quick Fix Tape on the shelf in the past, I decided to check it out: waterproof, -65-500°F, chemical resistant, permanent for most repairs.  And More!  ;D

I removed the exhaust again, hit the damaged area with brake clean, then dried with canned air, and repeat.  I applied the tape in about 5" strips, for about 7 or 8 layers total.  I can only describe this stuff as a combination of gorilla tape and cling wrap, but made out of silicone.  It is kind of tricky to deal with, as once it touches it self, good luck getting it back apart.  The first 2 layers I put on tightly stretched, trying to get as much pressure on the exposed housing as possible.  Then alternated between stretching it and not stretching it.  So far, after 2 days, it has not leaked 1 drop, and the repair is still completely dry.  I will definitely be making this part of my regular tool and chemical stash.

DEI Quick Fix Tape For The Win!!!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 04:53:37 pm by High On Octane »
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 02:53:14 pm
I just used that to repair a garden hose.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 05:13:33 pm
My experience with all DEI products has been positive.
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod