Author Topic: I think I can run a Bullet Gearbox/transmission 'backwards' - opinions please!  (Read 3429 times)

ultraleggera

• Scooter
Gentlemen,
Having had such an enlightening set of responses to my first post regarding Bullet direction of engine rotation (counter-clockwise!) - I'm going to my next question:
I want to run an engine with the Bullet Gearbox/transmission that rotates in the opposite direction - ie. the engine rotates clockwise.

The engine I want to use is normally mounted on a bike with the crank output on the starboard side of the bike - or the right-hand-side when sat on the bike looking forwards. This is the opposite side to the crank output on the Bullet. So what I'm planning to do is turn the gearbox around 180 degrees - still keeping it mounted 'the same way up' - just literally rotating it in the frame so that the clutch, input and output sprockets are on the right-hand-side instead of the left.

To begin with all I'm trying to understand is whether the gearbox itself can function with its internals all rotating in the opposite directions to their normal direction of rotation. As far as I can understand - a gearbox is just a speed dividing or multiplying machine - and as the Bullet doesn't have helical cut gears their should be no fifferent thrust loads on the shafts, bearings, or case. So it should work fine - right?

Thanks all

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
One issue might be the clutch center nut. I think it is threaded so that normal engine torque tends to shock tighten it more. Yours would be stressed the other way - might tend to loosen off. Perhaps it could be pinned in some way as a precaution.

Also, if your gearbox had already been run in normally, I would be surprised if it would ever shift as sweetly or run as quietly when run backwards.

Chas

2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

ultraleggera

• Scooter
Thanks Chas - two really interesting points ... I'm going to start thinking through pinning the clutch center nut - any ideas would be very welcome.

And I'm going to contact Enfield to find out if when the gearboxes are sold as new spares they are 'run-in' or not?

Cheers,
Maz

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Wouldn't it be easier to get an old right hand drive Sportster trans?  I guess if I knew what engine you are trying to slave it to it would be easier to understand.  In theory a lot of things mechanical should work, but the reality is sometimes it's harder to modify some parts than others.   An instructor in tech school back in the 80's told me you can put any motor in any car, if you are willing to do the necessary engineering.  Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Ultraleggera,

What are you trying to build? I t sounds interesting just to see something odd ball run but just curious.

Phil

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
It might be easier to just turn the engine upside down.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
I see no reason why the transmission can not run in either direction. The clutch hub nut will come loose in any direction if it is not locked somehow.   .

But the integral kick start would not work the right way and your gear selection would be opposite.   
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Without straining my little mind I think this will work
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

geoffbaker

But the integral kick start would not work the right way and your gear selection would be opposite.   

This is right - you'd have to remove the kickstart pawl assembly.
And then how would you plan on starting the engine?

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reverse the lead to the electric starter? ;D

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
--it would still work but it would kick forwards. It may be ok if the engine and side cases don't foul its movement . Bending it may do it or another kick lever,--small prob.

The gear lever ---well you would just have to get used to it.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member