Author Topic: Question  (Read 1512 times)

amritc

• Scooter
on: July 24, 2018, 08:56:41 am
Hello, I just replaced the head on my CI Bullet 500 incl valves and guides. Also replaced the oil pumps  , oil pump shaft and the whole timing assembly which include the timing plate, CB point and auto advance assembly.
Upon start up the engine ticks over but I also hear a metallic clang that sounds like a spring compressing and opening on every single stroke... any ideas what this might be or should I tear down the head and timing chest again to investigate? Thank you all.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 02:32:35 pm
First thing to check is the decompressor. If it is not assembled correctly,  it will do exactly as you described. If that isn't it,  then look under the valve covers.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 06:35:59 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

RE350

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 04:36:14 pm
Another possibility is valve spring coil bind. Had a Harley K model in the 1960s with same noise. Turned out someone put too many shims under the valve springs and the coils were collapsing into each other. Wrong springs or high lift cam a possibility.

amritc

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 08:24:51 am
Thank you. Will look into both and report back

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 03:20:48 pm
My "clang" is made at idle by loose lifters in their bores, particularly the front (exhaust) one. Of course the frequency is not every stroke but every other stroke. Remove the lifter cover and wiggle the lifters, you may hear your clang.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.