Author Topic: Weired Handling  (Read 11510 times)

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: December 07, 2018, 10:30:32 pm
Another problem may be that the frames are a different width between the mounting points.
Or ( more likely) there are two widths of swingarms?
With the original plastic bushes, there are two different lengths of spacer/ pivot.
195mm (Code: 580037A) for early models and 200mm (Code: 580037B)  for later models.
So there are at least two different widths of frame or swingarm?
I have no idea of the model years.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 01:14:05 pm by Haggis »
Off route, recalculate?

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #46 on: December 08, 2018, 12:47:52 am
Nice picture Haggis! Oooh, now there's another one! Two nice pictures, (if a pictures worth 1,000 words, that's good for 2,000  ;) ).

Hitchcocks shows the metalastic conversion kit as being for all EFI models 2008 and up, but then, that's probably when they changed over to the plastic bushings...  ???  Also, unfortunately our frames are not exactly built to swiss watch standards either so anything is possible!  :o
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 12:52:42 am by Narada »
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: December 09, 2018, 08:33:59 pm
Subbu-500 needs to rename this thread :)

Subbu, did you sort it in the end?

I must say Haggis, your pics appear to show the metalistic as the same length as the swingarm whereas the space and nylons look longer?

I cant remember what I ordered now. I'll have to check. Perhaps that's why i couldn't fit my thrust washers in. I know at the time I'm sure I ordered the right set for model year if indeed there were two different sets available. Doesn't mean I had a correct model year swingarm though lol.

Still, for the record (and my own memory should I forget) I did indeed tighten to H torque spec.

I used a 21mm socket on the bolt head and a Whitworth 7/16 on the nut as I only had one Whitworth socket and that was the best fit I had.

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: December 10, 2018, 10:46:28 am
The metalastic bushes plus their washers have the same overall length as the original plastic bush spacer/ pivot plus washer/seals.

Off route, recalculate?

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: December 10, 2018, 03:44:48 pm
I found a noticeable gap between the frame and swinging arm on my B5 once I'd replaced worn bushes with new, so I'm made the assumption that after replacing like for like the 'at rest' gap was always present from new.
I made a single fat shim out of of one of the old dust caps (instead of two thinner ones of the same thickness) and deliberately placed it inside one of the new dust caps. This not only provided a snug fit between the frame and swinging arm, it also moved it across to better align the rear sprocket with the front.

Irrespective of if the upgraded bushes provide the same overall width as the originals or not, it does seem wise to check for any excessive gap and shim accordingly prior to full reassembly.