Author Topic: Happy Ending-750 miles and the EMS light came on  (Read 6992 times)

Merrill

• Bulleteer
on: July 13, 2018, 02:51:34 am
For starters, I really like the design of the Himalayan.
What concerned me going in was reliability, but a gamble I decided to take.   The mechanics of the engine are doing well.  The motor sounds solid and uses no oil.  However the bike has always stalled when NOT fully warm at idle.   This has been annoying around town.  Out on the road it runs like a dream .  Today the EMS light came on so it’s back to the dealer.  ( 7 hours each way ).   Hopefully when I get the bike back it will idle properly,  and no more issues with the fueling system.   I really wish these bikes came state side with a carburetor.  I’ve never owned a fuel injected bike that didn’t have some kind of issues.   BMW RT1100, BMW GS650, and now the Himalayan.  Never an issue with a carb bike and I’ve had many of them.   Overall this is a great bike , just hope it can stay the course.. stay tuned...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 04:13:36 am by Merrill »

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 02:02:20 pm
Since you mention it, my 2011 B5 runs great but it does tend to stall when lukewarm, especially after being off for a few minutes while I am in a store shopping. When I come out of the store the bike starts up right away and then if I stop at a nearby traffic light for a minute or two, it will die, unless I play with the throttle like the owners of Harleys tend to do.  Perhaps they all do that.   ::)  I hope your dealer can resolve that issue on your Himalayan.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 04:13:13 pm
Being an old "iron belly" owner, I have no clue what an "EMS light" might be, and Google's no help. Still, at just 750 miles, she's hardly broken in yet. As she gets a few more miles under her belt, one imagines she might limber up a bit...so barring some electro-gremlin in play, maybe the idling will improve with some more road under her wheels.

One thing I might suggest, especially since it's a 7 hour slog for you to the dealer anyhow, is that you also have them change the oil, even if it's not yet "officially" called for. I cannot say if it may be the case with the new Himalayans, but recent new User Manual "guidance" from the factory for 2018 Euro4-compliant Bullets concerning oil changes at 300 miles, and then only again at 4,000 (that's not a typo) strikes me as feckless in the extreme. I suspect some ill-considered enviro-mandate is in play there. If your lovely new Himalayan has some similar new factory recommendation to hold that gritty elderly spew in your crankcase long after it really should have been refreshed, just to please some distant Council of Enviro-Boffins, I expect you'd do well to disregard them and sneak in an extra oil change or three as you run her in.

Anyhow, I'm really rooting for you and all the other early adopters of this new chapter of offerings.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 05:08:32 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 07:20:06 pm
Richard230:   my 14cgt acts the same way, does exactly the same thing.  Nature of the beast!

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 10:38:05 pm
Richard230:   my 14cgt acts the same way, does exactly the same thing.  Nature of the beast!

The first time I encountered this issue was on my 1978 Yamaha SR500.  When not fully warm, it would sometimes stall at an intersection and would be tough to kick start, especially when I was being pushed along by the car behind me.  I figure that it was flooded, as to get it started again I had to open up the throttle wide when kicking it.  After 5 or 6 kicks it would start up and run fine the rest of the day.  I suspect that even modern fuel injection systems can get upset when not quite up to temperature and are between a cold start and a hot start in their programming.  ???

Merrill

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 02:21:45 am
Bilge,  EMS = engine management system= computer.  It throws a fault code when the motor is out of compliance with its operating  parameters , signaling a check engine light to display. Much like a modern automobile.  I wholeheartedly agree with more frequent oil changes during run-in.....
Rich, thanks for the comments reg,, your bike.  I believe singles struggle more with fuel injection than two plus cylinder machines.  Also, EPA is demanding such lean mixture ratios that happy motors have been mandated into extinction.   and you are right Rich, the big carbureted thumpers were known for flaming out.   .........
I need to retract my “no problems with carbs” statement.  There was a  definite learning cure early on where trouble abounded.  After that carbs were no longer a mystery and I can resolve their issues with great success.   Other than the modern day carb running too lean due to an undersized pilot jet, they are good to go. Enriching the  idle circuit is something one can do on the shop workbench ,  no need to visit the dealer. Same goes for cleaning and restoring,  the ability lies with the owner.   Carburetors,, I like’em !!  ........
On an up note,  I contacted my dealer , who said the other Himmies he’s sold are out there running fine.  So far the dealership is dedicated to getting the issue resolved.  I hope Royal Enfield backs them thru the  warrantee  process.  I believe they will. They have a very impressive machine here.    Headed out early Tuesday morning for the dealer.   Glad my old Cummins diesel returns 22 miles for each gallon it consumes....????
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 04:43:46 pm by Merrill »

Merrill

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 12:45:22 am
It’s been two weeks now.  My Himalayan would not idle long enough to make it Thur traffic signals except when  thoroughly warmed up. ( hot ).   At 700 miles the engine light (EMS) light came on.  It’s been at the dealers for two weeks now.  Not a sound from anyone.  I really like the bike,  but did have concerns over this very issue prior to purchasing.   Kind of discouraging over all.  I parted with two very nice machines to fund the purchase of the Himalayan. At this point things are not looking so good.....

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 02:10:54 pm
Ah, the joys of being an "early adopter".  Having been a BMW motorcycle customer for 30-odd years, I know them well.   ::)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 07:12:12 pm
I wonder if the dealer even has a Service Manual?

Two weeks with no word on what's causing the light to come on or any clue about how long it will take to fix it is, IMO, ridiculous.

I think I would be on the phone daily, insisting that the H must be repaired ASAP.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

voodoochild

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 02:47:24 pm
Merrill,
Sorry to hear about your EMS light woes. I feel your pain. My dealer is about as clueless as yours about this bike. (His tech wasn't even sure where the oil drain bolt was when I first brought it in at 300 miles until I had to point it to him). Needless to say, I just did my 3000 mile oil change and tappet adjustments on my own. Some dealers are probably better than others.
Have you tried voicing your frustration on the RE Himalayan Owners USA Facebook page? The RENA Marketing Manager and at least one of their techs as well as a bunch of dealer reps) lurk there quite often. An EMS light issue seems serious enough for someone to get you a response in sooner than two weeks.
2007 500 Military 5spd

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 11:40:19 pm
My Dealer isn’t totally up to speed on RE but they did send two techs to RE in Texas for training so at least they are serious about it.
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue

Merrill

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 02:55:47 am
Got the Himmy back from the Boise dealer.  It had a faulty O-2 sensor .  They adjusted the fuel pump pressure and gave it a general going over.  Glad to have this wonderful motorcycle back home.  A big thanks to the Boise dealer and to Royal Enfield Inc. for standing behind their machines.  This speaks volumes about the manufacturer.  A happy ending ...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 02:59:59 am by Merrill »

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 07:49:57 pm
Excellent news!

Good to hear all is well with the Himalayan again :D

Merrill

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 05:29:11 am
Some folks have doubts about Royal Enfield....But then some folks doubted those cheap Japanese bikes appearing in the sixties ...and we all know how that turned out....
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 05:36:25 am by Merrill »

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #14 on: August 29, 2018, 11:56:29 am
Got the Himmy back from the Boise dealer.  It had a faulty O-2 sensor .  They adjusted the fuel pump pressure and gave it a general going over.  Glad to have this wonderful motorcycle back home.  A big thanks to the Boise dealer and to Royal Enfield Inc. for standing behind their machines.  This speaks volumes about the manufacturer.  A happy ending ...

Glad you're happy and reunited with your bike!  Eases the sting of waiting - what was it, five weeks to change an O2 sensor?   >:(