Author Topic: torque/HP curve graph?  (Read 2640 times)

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
on: July 14, 2018, 02:53:37 pm
Does anyone know of a HP and torque graph of the most recent 500 engine? Mine is a 2016 Classic Chrome. Also, what RPM am I doing at 55mph in 5th gear? Thanks,
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 03:25:08 pm
Does anyone know of a HP and torque graph of the most recent 500 engine? Mine is a 2016 Classic Chrome. Also, what RPM am I doing at 55mph in 5th gear? Thanks,
9fingers
Probably about the same as the predecessor years.  Approximately 19.5 rwhp.

Probably about 3500 rpm @55mph.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 03:29:51 pm
Here is a curve for the RE Bullet Classic model published by Motorcycle Consumer News in their April 2010 issue.  I doubt things have changed much since then. 
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 04:04:33 pm
Thanks for the replies, but there must be some change as this shows the torque peak at 3,500 yet the new spec claims the peak is at 4,000, if I recall correctly. I am wondering, ace.cafe would probably know this, if changing to the upswept exhaust, the RE sells, or one of the British made free flowing pipes, improves the mid and top end power much? Thanks
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 07:01:48 pm
Thanks for the replies, but there must be some change as this shows the torque peak at 3,500 yet the new spec claims the peak is at 4,000, if I recall correctly. I am wondering, ace.cafe would probably know this, if changing to the upswept exhaust, the RE sells, or one of the British made free flowing pipes, improves the mid and top end power much? Thanks
9fingers
Considering the history of Royal Enfield "claims", we have little faith in the veracity of such.

Regarding the exhaust system changes, if it is a free flow package with free flow muffler, it could provide upper rpm improvement, as long as a Power Commander or similar fuel optimization controller is installed along with it.

We have seen dyno results of approximately 24 rwhp after installing a free flow exhaust,  power commander with dyno tuned re-map,  free flow air filter kit, and better ignition coil.

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 07:18:33 pm
Given that Euro IV is primarily about emissions it wouldn’t surprise me if RE had to tweak the fuelling map to meet the new standard. It may well be that the engine now runs leaner and has to be revved more to get similar power to before. At the end of the day the torque is b*ggar all and the bhp the same in relative terms, at least as standard.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 08:30:28 pm
Considering the history of Royal Enfield "claims", we have little faith in the veracity of such.

Regarding the exhaust system changes, if it is a free flow package with free flow muffler, it could provide upper rpm improvement, as long as a Power Commander or similar fuel optimization controller is installed along with it.

We have seen dyno results of approximately 24 rwhp after installing a free flow exhaust,  power commander with dyno tuned re-map,  free flow air filter kit, and better ignition coil.

Thanks for that info ace.cafe! i am actually thinking of changing the silencer just for a bit louder sound, although I do like the way it sounds now, just a bit too quiet. And I figure if I can gain just a bit of power in the process, then all the better. I am surprised and impressed that the gains are as high as they are just from the changes you noted.  I wish I lived nearer you as I would have you work some magic on it. How far are you from Asheville? I have family there. Perhaps I could bring the bike down on a trailer sometime.
Regarding the "free flow" exhaust, I reckon I would still want one with baffles in it so it is not too loud. And I like the way the upswept RE made one looks on the bike. I am guessing the power gains would not be as significant as the ones you have tested? Thanks,
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 09:16:15 pm

Thanks for that info ace.cafe! i am actually thinking of changing the silencer just for a bit louder sound, although I do like the way it sounds now, just a bit too quiet. And I figure if I can gain just a bit of power in the process, then all the better. I am surprised and impressed that the gains are as high as they are just from the changes you noted.  I wish I lived nearer you as I would have you work some magic on it. How far are you from Asheville? I have family there. Perhaps I could bring the bike down on a trailer sometime.
Regarding the "free flow" exhaust, I reckon I would still want one with baffles in it so it is not too loud. And I like the way the upswept RE made one looks on the bike. I am guessing the power gains would not be as significant as the ones you have tested? Thanks,
9fingers
Actually, the most gains for the buck come from free flow exhaust and intake, with fueling adjustments to suit. It is not uncommon for Bullets of all types to see 20%-25% power increase from mods like that.

Regarding my location, I am near Chattanooga,  but I don't have a bike workshop. I do design and engineering work for performance products that we ultimately produce for the RE aftermarket.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 09:31:50 pm
OK, now I get it. Saves me having to get my bike down there to you! Member Fragman tells me he has the EJK controller, which is less expensive and simpler, from what I gather, so that is what I was planning on going with. And I do like that RE upswept exhaust, which he also has, but also think this one may do the job at least as well, and it is not expensive.
https://www.feked.com/royal-enfield-bullet-500-efi-new-model-type-2-silencer.html

Thanks for all!
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350