Author Topic: Seat adhesive  (Read 1956 times)

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 12, 2018, 02:20:44 am
I realize I am probably beating a dead horse here, but I was wondering what the glue is that is used from the factory. I noticed that the covering on my beloved low seat may have been installed too tight; as the material does not sit flush on the padding. Therefore, when I plop my rump down it stretches a pretty good amount and the stitching is beginning to separate at the front seam. Any who, I decided I would like to recover it. I have reupholstered a few seats before, but they had the metal holds/hooks under the pan. The R.E.s are flat metal pans. So, what the heck is the stuff they clearly just slovenly slather on the pans? Thanks in advance.
When Life hands you lemons, Squeeze them in his eyes and take his wallet.

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 07:31:47 am
I’ve successfully used “Barge” it’s a glue used by the local cobbler shop and available on Amazon or at the local cobbler shop.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 05:04:56 pm
Pretty much any impact adhesive will do the job, which is why it works just slathered on at the factory.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 10:10:32 pm
Used the stock seat I no longer use to test the chosen material.
When Life hands you lemons, Squeeze them in his eyes and take his wallet.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 09:25:01 am
If you have room,you could drill a series of holes around the perimeter of the pan and secure the seat cover with pop rivets to help the glue along .  I scratch built a saddle like yours for my bobber a few years ago. The cover was held on by the rivets only, no glue. It worked well.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 12:50:22 pm
Pretty much any impact adhesive will do the job, which is why it works just slathered on at the factory.

What's an impact adhesive?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 11:12:01 pm
Contact adhesive.  You're supposed to put the glue on each side and press the two halves together.  To do it really properly you give the glued part a whack. That sets the glue together really properly.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E