Author Topic: Plug and play oil cooling system for UCE  (Read 8021 times)

turbosam

• Scooter
on: July 11, 2018, 06:28:10 am
Hello every one .
i would like to know if there is any Bolt on /Plug and play Oil cooling system available for UCE 500?
We are living in such a world where,artificial lemon is used in a welcome drink:and Real lemon is used in the  finger bowl.!!!

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 08:16:07 am
In this year's Hitchcock's catalogue there is mention of an oil cooler kit for the UCE models. AFAIK it is not yet in production. Not really needed in the UK.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

Roger

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 01:46:21 pm
I always assumed that if over heating was an issue then it would be an issue in India.  That being said, it's 100° plus over here in the California central valley.  The bike seems to handle it better than I do.
2017 Bullet
2007 Ural Patrol - the 'trol

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 05:10:31 pm
I wouldn’t have thought it necessary either, though I note that the Himalayan has one. This could be because the engine design is air/oil cooled, like my Hinckley Triumph Twin. This has pockets in the cylinder head in which cooling oil is pumped (two oil pumps on a Triumph), the idea being to cool the exhaust valve area. A similar system was used on the BMW oilheads (hence the nickname) I used to own, and on the earlier Suzuki Bandits. IIRC the new RE twins have one too. But this was all part of the design. I don’t know why one would be needed on a UCE bike unless it is tuned significantly.

Roger

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 07:30:41 pm
I also assumed the Himalayan and the new 650s were oil cooled to help meet environmental regulations. 
2017 Bullet
2007 Ural Patrol - the 'trol

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 07:35:07 am
I always assumed that if over heating was an issue then it would be an issue in India.  That being said, it's 100° plus over here in the California central valley.  The bike seems to handle it better than I do.
India is Hot but extremely humid, the speeds in India rarely exceed over 35 mph, I doubt there would be a heating issue in India, on the other hand in this Sweltering Central Valley we live in, it’s definitely not a good idea to take the bike out on long runs in 100
Plus degree heat, at least I don’t take that chance.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 07:16:02 pm
Personally, I don't have any use for a oil cooler for my RE and I live in a city where the summer temperatures can easily reach 115° F in the shade.

Even on a moderate day where it is only 100° F, I have noticed after riding 10-15 miles at about 40 mph, the oil temperature doesn't seem to be much over 130° F (using my "hold your hand on the clutch cover and guess how hot it is." method. 
130° F is about where my hand says, "Damn!  That's hot and I'm not burning yet but gt me away from there.")

About the only times my oil seemed to get up to a temperature it likes, like 180°-250° is after I've ridden for 10-15 miles at 60+ mph on a hot day.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 10:15:12 pm
Personally, I don't have any use for a oil cooler for my RE and I live in a city where the summer temperatures can easily reach 115° F in the shade.

Even on a moderate day where it is only 100° F, I have noticed after riding 10-15 miles at about 40 mph, the oil temperature doesn't seem to be much over 130° F (using my "hold your hand on the clutch cover and guess how hot it is." method. 
130° F is about where my hand says, "Damn!  That's hot and I'm not burning yet but gt me away from there.")

About the only times my oil seemed to get up to a temperature it likes, like 180°-250° is after I've ridden for 10-15 miles at 60+ mph on a hot day.

I have a 2005 Triumph Bonneville T100 (with a large oil cooler) and most of the time the oil temperature shown on my meat thermometer gauge indicates 180-200 degrees, depending upon the ambient temperature.  But a few times I have ridden in 100 degree temperatures on the freeway at 70 mph and after about 20 minutes of riding the oil temperature gauge will indicate 250 degrees.  I guess that is why Triumph recommended Mobil 1 20-50 viscosity full-synthetic and expensive "racing" oil at the time. Now I use whatever is cheap and avoid riding on the freeway in 100 degree temperatures for any length of time.  ;)

And speaking of hot engines, I seem to recall that some Indian owners of the Himalayan were complaining about overheating of their new bikes when riding in hot weather during the first year that they were introduced into their market.  :-\
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 10:17:55 pm by Richard230 »
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

turbosam

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 01:08:10 pm
hello everyone .
in india , RE is a cult bike as well as a Tourer .
i am in to long distance continuous riding, (400km at a stretch , easy rider(500miles/12hrs) saddle sore 1000 miles in 24 hrs ..... that too in india ..!!!.)
i also tour a lot with a pilon + two saddle bags and bike gets really hot .
230+deg F is measured at the sight glass regularly .

Lot of oil is consumed  especially at long distence rides.(upto 1.9 lit in one saddle sore 1650km/22 hrs)
 i tried
RE liquid gun(20 w 50 mineral ),
 motul 3100(mineral),
 motul 5100(20w50 semi syn),
 motul 7100(20w50 syn),
 amsoil V twin 15w 50 fully syn)
Amsoil 10 W 60 (fully synthetic)
Oil consumption is much lesser in Amsoil oils but still alarming .
350 and 500 both have same surface area , ridden at almost same road speed and rpm . but 500 produces @40% more torque/power and hence heat .
 adding a oil cooler will add more quantity so repeatability of the oil will reduce life will increase  , and cooler oil will help keep the engine hover around 210 220 deg F ..and control excessive thermal expansions , and arrest oil consumption ..
 the engine needs serious cooling .

at least in india.
We are living in such a world where,artificial lemon is used in a welcome drink:and Real lemon is used in the  finger bowl.!!!

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 03:01:39 pm
I have a 2005 Triumph Bonneville T100 (with a large oil cooler) and most of the time the oil temperature shown on my meat thermometer gauge indicates 180-200 degrees, depending upon the ambient temperature.  But a few times I have ridden in 100 degree temperatures on the freeway at 70 mph and after about 20 minutes of riding the oil temperature gauge will indicate 250 degrees.  I guess that is why Triumph recommended Mobil 1 20-50 viscosity full-synthetic and expensive "racing" oil at the time. Now I use whatever is cheap and avoid riding on the freeway in 100 degree temperatures for any length of time.  ;)

And speaking of hot engines, I seem to recall that some Indian owners of the Himalayan were complaining about overheating of their new bikes when riding in hot weather during the first year that they were introduced into their market.  :-\
My Triumph Thruxton with oil cooler runs hotter than my C5 without. I put this down to the much higher specific output of the Triumph. My C5 seems quite cool running here in the UK. Triumph recommend Castrol 10-40 or 15-50 these days. I put Valvolene 10-50 fully synthetic in both. Makes life easier.

turbosam

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 10:09:22 am
Could Not
 find Hitchcock product catalogue..!
link plz

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 04:19:27 pm
Could Not
 find Hitchcock product catalogue..!
link plz

You have to buy something from Hitchcocks and then they will send you their catalog in the mail.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 04:22:44 pm
hello everyone .
in india , RE is a cult bike as well as a Tourer .
i am in to long distance continuous riding, (400km at a stretch , easy rider(500miles/12hrs) saddle sore 1000 miles in 24 hrs ..... that too in india ..!!!.)
i also tour a lot with a pilon + two saddle bags and bike gets really hot .
230+deg F is measured at the sight glass regularly .

Lot of oil is consumed  especially at long distence rides.(upto 1.9 lit in one saddle sore 1650km/22 hrs)
 i tried
RE liquid gun(20 w 50 mineral ),
 motul 3100(mineral),
 motul 5100(20w50 semi syn),
 motul 7100(20w50 syn),
 amsoil V twin 15w 50 fully syn)
Amsoil 10 W 60 (fully synthetic)
Oil consumption is much lesser in Amsoil oils but still alarming .
350 and 500 both have same surface area , ridden at almost same road speed and rpm . but 500 produces @40% more torque/power and hence heat .
 adding a oil cooler will add more quantity so repeatability of the oil will reduce life will increase  , and cooler oil will help keep the engine hover around 210 220 deg F ..and control excessive thermal expansions , and arrest oil consumption ..
 the engine needs serious cooling .

at least in india.

Why do millions of Enfields in India seem to be running all over the place every day year after year without oil coolers??
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 04, 2018, 09:49:45 pm
I have found, with air cooled VWs and bikes, if the engine is running hot, the solution is to simply richen the air/fuel mixture. Very easy with a carburetor, just put in larger jets. A lot more complicated with EFI, but it can be done. You have to spend $500 on a Power Commander. The only EFI bike I've ever owned was my 2013 RE B5, and I chose to convert it to a carb with a kit from Hitchcocks. Right away I noticed a huge difference. The carb was obviously a lot richer than the EFI. The engine performed much better from idle (which could be adjusted much lower than with EFI) to as fast as I will ever ride it. And that is with an aftermarket exhaust as well. It runs noticeably cooler as well. I live in south central AZ, and it gets HOT here. It has already hit 120 degrees F this summer. IMO, oil coolers are only needed on high performance racing engines, or engines that are running too lean.

" Why do millions of Enfields in India seem to be running all over the place every day year after year without oil coolers??" I suspect it is because India does not have an EPA.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

ColinT

• Neophyte