Author Topic: Quirk when trying to ride below 40mph.  (Read 1830 times)

Devante

• Scooter
  • Crescent fresh at best!
on: July 09, 2018, 07:26:25 pm
Hello!

I have a 2016 Royal Enfield Continental GT with about 700 miles on it.

I'm a new rider since February and this is my first bike.

I'm having some issue with trying to stay around 30 to 35 mph or a little above.

The issue is that the bike seems to lug every few seconds until I get it to about 40mph.

When I first started I had the problem of driving it in too low of RPM to where it would lugluglug whenever I shifted up. I did some research and realized my goal is actually around 3,500 RPMs for my particular bike.

However this kind of stutter is like that but not in rapid succession. Just once every few seconds. And my RPMs are 3,500 to 4,000. Bike feels fine above 40mph in that RPM range.

I usually shift to second around 30mph and it feels fine. If I shift lower for my desired speed (35mph) the RPMs will be close to the redline. Shift to third and it'll lug like when I first started riding. So it seems like 2nd gear is the right gear for this speed.

So what am I doing wrong?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks everyone.
.x[ Devante ]x.

Royal Enfield - Continental GT - 2016 - Black

dawsonm

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 09:35:25 pm
In the absence of any other replies,

It’s a bit difficult to really understand what your trying to explain.

I tend to aim for 2500 to 2800 when below 40mph.  Use gears to maintain this engine speed ?

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 11:10:07 pm
I'd look at the easy things first: isolate the sidestand cutout switch for no. 1. Just unplug it. Hope it's an easy fix.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 01:30:22 am
Yah.  The sidestand safety switch would be my first guess.

As I'm mentioned before, certain frequencies can excite the sidestand causing it to move up and down a little bit.

When it moves down, it can trigger the kill switch that's built into it by the hinge and if it does, the engine will die.  With the switch turning off and on rapidly it will seem like the engine is hesitating or lugging.

Devante, unplug the switch wire where it plugs into the main harness and see if it doesn't fix the problem.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Devante

• Scooter
  • Crescent fresh at best!
Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 01:00:11 am
Yah.  The sidestand safety switch would be my first guess.

As I'm mentioned before, certain frequencies can excite the sidestand causing it to move up and down a little bit.

When it moves down, it can trigger the kill switch that's built into it by the hinge and if it does, the engine will die.  With the switch turning off and on rapidly it will seem like the engine is hesitating or lugging.

Devante, unplug the switch wire where it plugs into the main harness and see if it doesn't fix the problem.

I'll give it a try.

I know it's kind of hard to understand but basically in 1st gear at 35~ MPH, my RPMs are way too high. Around 5,000 and the bike sounds like it's about to fall apart.

In 2nd gear, at around 35 MPH, the bike will kind of 'burp' every few seconds. The RPMs are around 3,500.

If I push it to 40 MPH (4,000 RPM), things get to normal.

So I'm just having trouble going around 35 MPH.
.x[ Devante ]x.

Royal Enfield - Continental GT - 2016 - Black