Author Topic: C5 oil filters  (Read 2879 times)

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
on: July 04, 2018, 09:24:57 pm
I did my first oil change with an RE filter kit that came with new O rings, and some brass or copper washers. Is it really necessary to change the O rings and washers at each oil change? With only 300 miles on the first batch it seemed a waste.
I got the kit off of Ebay and I see a variety of offers, some selling 3 or 4 filters for something like $14 including shipping. I understand the filters themselves are around 73 cents in India. $21 for the filter kit for 1 filter seems a bit high in comparison. Thanks,
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 09:50:26 pm
I have changed my oil 3 times without replacing them.
When Life hands you lemons, Squeeze them in his eyes and take his wallet.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 02:29:41 am
The O-rings really don't need to be replaced unless they are damaged.

The "face seal" O-ring on the pump inlet screen cover would be just about impossible to damage but that little one on the filter cover can get pinched when the cover is being put back on.  That's why it's a good idea to oil that O-ring and the metal at the mouth of the filter cavity before reinstalling the cover.  The oil helps it slip into place.

The other O-rings stand little chance of being damaged and can be reused many times.

I think I must have changed the oil and filter on my G5 at least 15 times during the last 7 years without replacing them and I never had a problem with leaking O-rings.

I did change them the last time I changed my oil and filter but that was only because I have a bunch of them on hand and I figured, "what the hell?",  I've got them so I might as well give the old girl something new so she doesn't get the idea I'm a cheap SOB.  ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 04:11:08 am
like arizoni I too have done numerous oil filter changes and just kept using the same factory seals.
never got any spare seals with my bulk indian oil filter purchases but saying that never beeded them

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 05:29:27 pm
Me too. The only leak I ever had was from the cover plate. I occasionally now change that one. I have disassembled the filter spring etc once. I won’t bother again....
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 12:18:18 am
Thanks for the replies, I will order some filters in bulk.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 02:02:18 am
if you are going to have any problems with a oil leak from a complete oil change - it will come from the area of the 2 small bolts which house the filter basket,
at times this area alone has caused me a few problems....lol

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 01:28:50 am
Same here.
   Proper cleaning of the machined area on the case, the filter holder (including the o-ring groove), a new o-ring PN 570057, and a good cleaning of the screws should prevent any leaking afterwards.
   The bottom of the engine gets dirtier than most of the rest of the thing, so extra care should be taken.   Yes, often if the o-ring looks good it can be re-used, but remember that although it looks just fine (not taken a set) hairline cracks or even tiny bits of unseen debris can allow the oil to seep or leak past it.   Same applies to the big drain plug(s). Clean, clean, CLEAN, and a new copper washer.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 03:47:01 am
if you are going to have any problems with a oil leak from a complete oil change - it will come from the area of the 2 small bolts which house the filter basket,
at times this area alone has caused me a few problems....lol

Yea same with me, its a real pain after changing the oil to find a small leak under there so I now change that O ring with every oil change, 10 cents each from local industrial supply shop, I get 10 at a time.
2020 Rav Red Interceptor (wife's bike) ,Interceptor 2019 bakers express ,  2021 Honda cb500X, 2021  euro4 Himalayan (wife's)

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 10:50:56 am
Mine went in for its 1st service and came back with THAT leak ! one day I will have enough miles on to drop & change - but as a fellow pom said "Just marking it's territory"  ;D
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 06:59:46 pm
Hey!

It might be an old gene making its presence known.

There was a time that RE's were affectionately (?)  called Royal Oilfield's.   ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 08:03:34 pm
I don’t think that particular epithet was used affectionately. It was generally used by riders of almost any other British twin when they were in their heyday. The RE twins were pretty dire, mainly because they lacked the rigidity afforded by having one barrel and cylinder head as used by most, favouring separate barrels and heads on each side. Thus the crankcase halves walked against each other, causing massive oil leaks. This was exacerbated by having the oil tank in the crankcase (but not wet sump) so that it got particularly hot and thin and by having a rubbish breather. The original Bullets were no worse than other singles, but the twins were awful. The only exception was the Interceptor Mk2, which had a good design of breather and a wet sump with cooling finning on it. Sadly, by then it was as game over for Brit twins anyway as the CB750 Honda Four had arrived. Nowadays of course an RE twin is an interesting bike to own, with modern sealant and a host of other modifications around to make them perfectly adequate for tiddling around on. Ton-up bikes they were not.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 17, 2018, 09:06:22 am
O rings last a long time IF you keep them soaked in oil so they don't tear.

British bikes earned what has been said about them. Like "it leaks oil out of everything but the headlight, and that doesn't work"

Or, often said about the rider of a British bike "he is either a mechanic, or about to become one, possibly in the next few minutes"

Despite all this, which is mostly true, I have never seen or ridden any other motorcycle that had the charm and class of a British bike. Once bitten by the British bike bug, it is likely to be a permanent addiction.

People marvel at modern technology, and most of them don't realize just what we've given up. Whether it's riding a vintage bike or shooting black powder muzzleloaders (I do both), it is almost always more fun than modern stuff. Not very practical maybe, but who said fun has to be practical.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson