Author Topic: H-D news  (Read 4161 times)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

mc35803

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 05:46:49 pm
I saw that. Considering it may take 18 months to complete construction of some facilities it makes me wonder if Harley had already had this in the works anyways?
Miles

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 06:11:31 pm
I saw that. Considering it may take 18 months to complete construction of some facilities it makes me wonder if Harley had already had this in the works anyways?

Last night I heard a TV news report that H-D will likely be expanding their existing assembly plant in Thailand to build the tariff-beating EU bikes.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 04:21:18 pm
ACE Motors - sales & administration

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 08:38:41 pm
I'm not mad at Harley.  I'm mad at the Orange Douchebag for burning every single bridge with every single foreign ally.  It's ridiculous.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 04:50:57 am
I want to add that I will call H-D on a little B.S.  As I believe it was yesterday someone from H-D mentioned they will continue to produce in the USA.  Which doesn't make any sense because they already have foreign factories.   :-\
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 02:56:49 pm
The foreign factories are tariff beaters. That is necessary because so many nations export motorcycles into the US, paying nothing, then charge high tariffs to the US. I’m not clear why the US should want to maintain that situation. Our ‘allies’ seem to be playing us for chumps. Not very ally - ish.
  HD is trying to play the game with their feet cast in the cement of 1915. They are not offering transportation products for today. Zero small displacement transport oriented product, while multiple nations are cranking them out - bringing them into the US for nothing. Thus, they are having fabulous profits.
  The average age of the HD customer is over 50 years old. Their response is to woo youth into their aged very high priced, narrowly purposed product line. That is no one’s fault, but their own.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 05:50:44 pm
Just killing time for a couple of hours on Thursday, while my daughter volunteered over at the local ASPCA, I happened to wander in to the big Harley dealership across the road just for a looksee. I think it very well might have been my first visit to any Harley dealership as such, at least as far as I can recall. I can honestly say that the ONLY bike I saw there that even remotely appealed to me was some old groovy orange '60s panhead Duo-Glide hog they just had as a display piece in the window. Maybe it's just me, but that was it. Everything else just seemed ungainly, and well, "obese"...even those little 750 "Street" jobs they've begun cobbling together in India to appeal to the millenials. I didn't actually see any of the 500s of that new series for the youngsters on the floor, and only one 883 that just seemed a whole lot more "bloaty" than I'd been expecting and was asking 12,000 quatloos. Yeah...think I'll pass. The rest was just line after line and rank after rank of unappealing flab. I guess I might feel differently if I'd grown up with lots of Harleys around or ever gotten my hands on one by happenstance, and I do recall a former neighbor's nice slim and trim silver Sportster as being something I could happily ride, but Thursday's dealership visit was like dropping in on some vehicular Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig meeting. And yes, my hunch is that most of the other customers who wandered in for their 30 dollar black and orange Official H-D bandannas or whatever cruised straight from there for the Early Bird Senior Discount at Old Country Buffet. Geezers all.

Meanwhile, at a mostly Yamaha dealership somewhere near Reading, PA that I popped into just to quickcharge my phone on my way up to the Enfield Rally last Friday, they were selling several of those little Korean Hyosung 250cc and 650cc V-twin rides in a variety of styles severely marked way down from MSRP starting at just 2 grand on the nose and in your driveway. If one were a new rider wanting a nice new drama-free bike to learn on that wouldn't necessarily guarantee you a spot on the Organ Donor Registry, well that little 250 cruiser's very likely your sweet spot right there...not some 10 grand "low end" Harley.

The upshot of all these factors and others is that Harley's stock "HOG" is down over 22% for the year. I'm no stock analyst, but given their high cost, aging and ever-shrinking cantankerous customer base, much of the remnant of which they're rather going out of their way to now alienate with the ramping up of foreign production, and stiff competition both at home and abroad in that heavy cruiser market segment, I'd expect that stock luge ride might well continue until they're inevitably bought out and stripped for parts.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 01:12:39 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 05:18:22 pm
I think i can agree with all of what Bilge said there, good man.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 04:02:15 am
It will be interesting to see how these poorly thought out steel tariffs and trade wars with allies impact RE prices/sales projections in the US.  Large Chinese companies somehow still seem to get “waivers”.....
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 01:30:08 pm
It will be interesting to see how these poorly thought out steel tariffs and trade wars with allies impact RE prices/sales projections in the US.  Large Chinese companies somehow still seem to get “waivers”.....

I presume you're not talking about those Hyosungs I mentioned, since they're Korean. Offhand, I don't know of any Chinese made bikes making any noticeable inroads yet into the American market, apart from maybe Kymco scooters, which one sees from time to time, but they're Taiwanese (though some are now made on the mainland--politics be damned). Still, I've little doubt the Chinese will be coming to a showroom near you sooner or later.

Full disclosure: though a bit on the quirky side, my vehicular tastes are undemanding enough (Hell, I still miss my old '83 Chevette, which practically qualified as an Amish vehicle) that I could really go for one of those little Churchill Customs adventure travel jobs being cobbled together by some Western expats in China on the basis of some Chinese 125 or 250cc econo-bike like a Hung Far Lo or whatever that probably moves more units every year in their home market than Harley likely sells in a decade or three. Churchill just takes the brand new ones, tears 'em down, upgrades their shabbiest and ugliest bits, tarts them up a little, slaps on a tank decal, and presto! A reliable and reasonably robust light flickable little beast that'll propel you troublefree from one end of that potholed country to the next--up drainage ditches, rutted mountain paths, wherever. Check out that addictive YouTube channel ADVChina for a looksee at them in action.

If the Chinese makers ever bore of foisting halfass disposable but dirt cheap small capacity rides on their huge and captive home market, and get that hit-or-miss feckless quality control thing in hand, then even the Japanese makers will be in big trouble. My hunch is the assault will likely commence with commuter eBikes, of which they already make millions each year. With environmental controls being lax to non-existent, apart from the occasional show trial of some stooge or other who maybe didn't adequately caress the balls of the appropriate Party Bozo, they are free to really trim those production costs by turning their landscape into a big dioxin pit with mercury croutons. For all that marketing ecobabble about clean this and zero emissions that, batteries are actually a filthy business with longterm consequences typically shirked off by the manufacturers. They kick that can down the road HARD. Those Chinese manufacturers are happy to punt it right into their neighbor's front yard.

As for tariffs and whatnot playing a significant role in the matter of foreseeable Chinese motorcycle manufacturing dominance, apart from the aforementioned minimal to near non-existent costs to their manufacturers of environmental standards compliance, the real fix is in in those shipping costs. The PRC makes damned sure these are as next to nothing as might be an accounting error, both domestically and internationally. This explains why I have a USB and 12 volt ciggy lighter port on my Enfield, which was delivered to me from faroff Shenzhen for only $6--less than it would cost me just to mail the damned thing to Cleveland. Don't get me wrong. Noone is a bigger fan of needful ultra-cheapo Chinese crap than I, but that whole rigged practically-free ePacket Chinese shipping thing simply cannot bode well for my neighbor trying to sell his or her crap whilst dragging that unsupported shipping costs anchor around. I expect it's WAY more relevant to the outcome of the bigger macrogame than any Trumpian Monkey Theater about this or that tariff on a specific product or sector. The whole topic of this rigged Chinese shipping scam and your...Yes, YOUR...financial support of it, like it or not, came up in another sailing forum I subscribe to in a thread about how to turn a cheapo Chinese transceiver into a Marine FM and NOAA Weather Radio all for less than $30. Details right here.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 03:12:34 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 02:34:39 pm

This import company that sells decent Chinese-made motorcycles seems to be doing fairly well. You buy them via the internet and they get delivered to your door. They are getting good reviews in the press: https://www.cscmotorcycles.com/

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 12:49:56 am
This import company that sells decent Chinese-made motorcycles seems to be doing fairly well. You buy them via the internet and they get delivered to your door. They are getting good reviews in the press: https://www.cscmotorcycles.com/

They may be well-regarded purveyors of Chinese rides and all, but still, it's pretty damned gratifying that they instead chose to display a big old red Enfield right there alongside their Mission Statement on their homepage:

That just gives me a nice warm feeling in my fuzzies, that does.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 12:52:21 am by Bilgemaster »

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 02:02:20 am
Looks like the negative (remember those?) was reversed when the picture was printed!   The RX3 250 is on sale right now.  If it didn't weight as much as my GT I might consider one.   Not having a dealer network can't much worse then trying to find a local RE dealer!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #14 on: July 04, 2018, 02:07:31 am
VERY clever of CSC!

Photoshop the Royal Enfield off of the tank of a CGT and then mirror the image so right is left and left is right.

Who would have thunk it was a Royal Enfield?
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: July 04, 2018, 08:36:21 pm
I visited the local HD megastore in San Diego where the employees get around on skateboards in the immense boutique-jewelry-coffeebar-sports video-farkle shop-showroom. Of course there were obese seniors in patched vests paying homage to some shared youthful fantasies under a loud 70s sound track.  As I left, I had the same feeling when leaving my mother's assisted living place after a visit. BTW, I'm an old fart myself.

A while back I read about a Chinese company importing S&S Harley drive trains to build Chinese cruisers I can't find it now, but it displayed some nice retro bikes.

I was recently tempted by this "Chinese" bike made by Benelli, but opted for a SV650 project instead. http://benelli.ssrmotorsports.com/bikes/tnt600.php

BTW, the Benellis have been sold in India for years, and the SSRs have become popular trail bikes in the states. I hear even India makes bikes that sell in the US.  ;)
Lurker on a Vespa

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #16 on: July 05, 2018, 11:53:53 pm
India making motorcycles that would sell in the US?

Nah!  Ain't gonna happen.  8) ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary