Author Topic: Quick Fix  (Read 2472 times)

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
on: June 23, 2018, 02:40:44 am
Found this inside all of my trafficators. Discovered while troubleshooting a short causing my Ammeter to bounce to extremes in time with my flasher.
Apparently, the wrapped wire will eventually work loose and slip, making contact with the center terminal and bringing on the resultant short.
Fixed all of them this way, and problem solved. Add a small terminal to the end of the wire and pinch between the bullet housing and the lamp support. Just be sure to snug it down nice & tight.  ;) I could have soldered it, but wanted an easier removal, if necessary.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 02:43:25 am by heloego »
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 12:57:01 pm
Found this inside all of my trafficators. Discovered while troubleshooting a short causing my Ammeter to bounce to extremes in time with my flasher.
Apparently, the wrapped wire will eventually work loose and slip, making contact with the center terminal and bringing on the resultant short.
Fixed all of them this way, and problem solved. Add a small terminal to the end of the wire and pinch between the bullet housing and the lamp support. Just be sure to snug it down nice & tight.  ;) I could have soldered it, but wanted an easier removal, if necessary.

I had to do similar mods when I changed the directionals on my '08 AVL back around 2010 or '11.

What I'm curious about in your case is how the Red goes to ground on the housing and the Black goes to the filament.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 01:25:03 pm
Yep that threw me, too,  ??? and I would have changed to a "proper" setup, but no button terminals in my garage kit. :) Mebbe I should see about some spares. 
Since I've already lined up a project or two for the Electra this winter, I'll add drilling and tapping the socket support and replacing the spade terminals with ring terminals.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 01:35:58 pm by heloego »
'12 C5 Classic

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 07:23:55 pm
I ran into that bass ackwards wiring too when I replaced the original turn signals with metal bullet style signals.

I didn't pay much attention to the way the wires were connected in the original lights and just assumed the black wire was ground and the colored wire was the power supply.

Lo and behold, the signals didn't work.
It was only then that I got out my volt/ohm meter and checked the wires.

Sure enough, the black was the power and the colored wire was the ground.  At least at the lights.
The harness where the signal lights wires connected had the colors correct.  Black was ground and the colored wire was power.

The folks at the factory must have known about this color reversal because they had hooked them up so they would work.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 10:21:01 pm
   If I can source the button (center) terminals I'm gonna change them ASAP so the wires will be color correct.   Gotta wonder if the responsible person(s) are color blind.  ::)
'12 C5 Classic

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 03:16:09 pm

This would have been a better terminal:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NON-INSULATED-10mm-10-2mm-BRASS-RING-EARTH-TERMINAL-CONNECTOR-x-10/151812499303?hash=item2358bae767:g:wZMAAOSwFnFV8s~v

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 05:13:10 pm
Agreed.I used what I had available. Still trying to find center terminals for the center contact.
'12 C5 Classic