Author Topic: DRZ400(sm) vs Himalayan  (Read 4282 times)

MikeBE

• Scooter
on: May 25, 2020, 09:26:47 am
My first bike was a DRZ400SM. I wanted some acceleration, something that was easy to handle, not too heavy and has a low top speed. I never drove on the highway (not comfortable) and always took smaller curvy roads and even though I had the SM version, often took it on some gravel roads. Even with the street tyres/suspension it did really well. The only thing that sucked was the seat. I changed the plate-holder, brake light and signal lights to something smaller, but except for that it kept it stock (not even a 3x3 mod!). I loved that bike and regret selling it.

Anyway, after seeing so many Himalayan reviews, the dual sport itch is back. But I'm a bit concerned the lack of power will bug me. I though the DRZ400 was just fine on power, but it had almost 40hp and was lighter than the himalayan.

Anybody have ridden both bikes? What are your experiences?

Thanks

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 12:44:06 pm
My first bike was a DRZ400SM. I wanted some acceleration, something that was easy to handle, not too heavy and has a low top speed. I never drove on the highway (not comfortable) and always took smaller curvy roads and even though I had the SM version, often took it on some gravel roads. Even with the street tyres/suspension it did really well. The only thing that sucked was the seat. I changed the plate-holder, brake light and signal lights to something smaller, but except for that it kept it stock (not even a 3x3 mod!). I loved that bike and regret selling it.

Anyway, after seeing so many Himalayan reviews, the dual sport itch is back. But I'm a bit concerned the lack of power will bug me. I though the DRZ400 was just fine on power, but it had almost 40hp and was lighter than the himalayan.

Anybody have ridden both bikes? What are your experiences?

Thanks

This isn't an endorsement or any comment on the Himalayan one way or another. Never ridden or even SEEN one live and I don't even know what marque a DRZ400 is. I'm just an old dinosaur, lifelong harley guy who has an appreciation for all things with 2 wheels going back to 1949 when I was 10 years old. I had a 250cc BSA vertical single for a year on Block Island RI in 1959 while I was in the CG. I took a ferry to the mainland in February, rode a bus to Providence, bought the bike and rode it back to the ferry and then to the island and almost froze my young, stupidass butt off. I had been studying motorcycle brochures and riding behind my mom's friends since I was 10 and even though I was imprinted on harleys for life I still had an appreciation for all 2-wheeled things no matter who made them and I just liked the "look" of foreign bikes and still do.

I bought my 2008 AVL (brand new) as a hedge against the day I knew I would not be able to handle any more harleys especially in traffic and other slow tricky situations because of an increasingly debilitating lifelong physical/medical problem and I LOVE IT. Doing mods and fiddling have kept me sane and out of the bars and away from drug dealers after I gave my last harley to my best friend in 2016.

Anyway (Boy, can I ramble. Sorry) All I meant to say was Have you watched (and if you haven't, you should) Itchy Boots Noraly's two Long Distance trips on two different Himalayans?  She never complains about lack of power as I remember.

You will get a LOT of comments from actual owners here and good luck. It seems like a VERY decent, reliable bike to me and it can be tricked out in a multitude of ways and it'll go almost anywhere.   
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

MikeBE

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 02:04:49 pm
Sorry, I should have mentioned a bit more details abour the other bike.
It is a Suzuki single cilinder 400cc dual sport bike. Has about 40hp.
It comes in a enduro/dual sport version and a supermoto (road) version.

It is heavier than some of the more competitive bikes (usually dirt bikes) and has less power, but it is not as maintenance heavy either.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 08:34:13 pm
I think the engines from these were also fitted to CCMs. Fitting BSA B50-based engines was a LONG time ago.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 09:51:37 am
I've just gotten home from a track day on my drz400SM. So much fun. Nearly enough power. I don't think the Himalayan is in the Drz ballpark. I wouldn't take one to the track,  put it that way. If you're worried about lack of power,  good be best getting a test ride to see for yourself.

I must scab a ride of my mate's Himalayan some time. I ride a 535 Continental GT and that hoses the Himi.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 04:25:55 pm
I've ridden neither that Suzuki nor the Himalayan. But if you suspect the Himi's lack of power in its current single-cylinder 411cc / 24 hp iteration compared to your old DRZ400SM might "bug you", as you say, then you may want to hold out for that long-rumored forthcoming 650 twin 47 hp version of the Himi. However, its actual release date remains vague at best. Google "650 Himalayan" to see lots of guesswork.

In the meantime, Gizzo offers sound advice: Go test ride one. After all, singles do have their own plucky virtues. You might discover you like the present Himi just fine. Hell, why not test ride a Bullet and their 650 twin too while you're there.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

AK Mike

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 06:51:01 pm
I can't give a direct comparison as I have never ridden the DRZ.  But I have ridden other dual sports and used to own a KLR650.  And I currently own a Himalayan (still early days and I'm still getting to know it).

I am sure that DRZ engine is a peach.  I have had one Suzuki thumper and the engine is bomb-proof.  Don't expect the same Suzuki quality in the Himalayan.  But that said, I find the "relaxed" Himalayan perfect for my style of riding.  Don't think of the Himalayan as a true dualsport in the same class as the Japanese bikes and you'll be fine and won't be let down.  The Himalayan is capable off road, but not nearly as much as the DRZ is.  If you are OK with that, and OK with a low-revving but very tractable engine that will pull you through just about anything, then the Himalayan might just be for you.  For me, the Himmy is a perfect fit... comfortable ergos and capable for what I intend to throw at it.  It has one annoying quirk that I'm still trying to figure out (a battery discharge issue), but for the money and for what it is, I'm happy so far.

It has enough horsepower for me, but that is a personal thing.  I've had bikes that were 40-70 hp, and they were just too much for what I wanted.  Even if RE produces a 650 twin Himmy, I'd have no interest in it.  To each their own.

motigua

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 08:04:28 am
I looked at the Suzuki before I ordered my 500 Trials. Cost here in NZ was pretty much the same and apart from seat would have been happy with one. Only reason I went Enfield was liked the old school styling and am at that age where I'm not in a hurry to get from A to B. as you already have the SM how about just putting multi purpose tyres on? Remember its pretty much a dirt bike anyway.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 02:42:04 am
n you may want to hold out for that long-rumored forthcoming 650 twin 47 hp version of the Himi. However, its actual release date remains vague at best. Google "650 Himalayan" to see lots of guesswork.
That's just mean teasing him like that. RE did announce the release date of the 650 Himalayan. January 2051. I already gave them a deposit. ::)

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: June 12, 2020, 02:15:40 pm
I've just gotten home from a track day on my drz400SM. So much fun. Nearly enough power. I don't think the Himalayan is in the Drz ballpark. I wouldn't take one to the track,  put it that way. If you're worried about lack of power,  good be best getting a test ride to see for yourself.

I must scab a ride of my mate's Himalayan some time. I ride a 535 Continental GT and that hoses the Himi.

So rude. The Gorge beckons mate.
Mind you, they do call me Grandpa Slow  ;D
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #11 on: June 12, 2020, 06:30:23 pm
Well Helloo and welcome! Slowtard Vs Himi up the gorge! Game on.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #12 on: July 06, 2020, 09:29:01 pm
As an olde ADRA desert racer, I can tell you that about 25 BHP is all you need to maintain a brisk trail pace. Big HP is for the straightaways. Tractable power & comfort are appreciated long after the excitement of arm-stretching power fades, like 6 hours into a tough race. If you are a HP junkie, look elsewhere. Hitchcocks offers a 460cc kit that pushes HP to about 35 for about $700 USD, but I believe you'll find stock power is adequate for normal use and doesn't tear up either you or the bike.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.