Author Topic: My First Rideout - Success and Failure  (Read 8145 times)

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: June 24, 2018, 03:07:07 pm
Nice! What beautiful part of the world.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #16 on: June 24, 2018, 03:12:27 pm
            Plugging in the ext mic while you're recording shuts the recording down. Just proved it a while ago.

Also tried plugging the ext mic in beFORE turning the camera On. Same thing. Will not record.

$30 some odd dollars for the recommended mic. Right.

Spoke back and forth with the external mic vendor and verified what I was thinking. An external mic will not work with THIS first generation Ion Air Pro video camera. It will work with the Air Pro 2 and the Air Pro 3.

I forgot to ask him why there's a mic port in the camera (marked AV). I guess it was put in anticipating the upgrade and release of the Air Pro 2.

So if anyone needs or wants an external mic with 3.5mm mic jack and a VERY long cord let me know. I'll send it to you. It's useless to me.

It also has an HDMI port. I wonder if THAT works ??? ???

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: June 24, 2018, 07:19:38 pm
              Spoke back and forth with the external mic vendor and verified what I was thinking. An external mic will not work with THIS first generation Ion Air Pro video camera. It will work with the Air Pro 2 and the Air Pro 3.

I forgot to ask him why there's a mic port in the camera (marked AV). I guess it was put in anticipating the upgrade and release of the Air Pro 2.

So if anyone needs or wants an external mic with 3.5mm mic jack and a VERY long cord let me know. I'll send it to you. It's useless to me.

It also has an HDMI port. I wonder if THAT works ??? ???

Interesting.  I have the Pro2 so haven't run into these issues.  Tho haven't tried an external Mic either.  The HDMI port is for streaming the footage and pics thru your smart TV.  Haven't tried that either.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: June 24, 2018, 07:43:46 pm
Interesting.  I have the Pro2 so haven't run into these issues.  Tho haven't tried an external Mic either.  The HDMI port is for streaming the footage and pics thru your smart TV.  Haven't tried that either.

Yeah, I'm up on HDMI. I just wondered if it worked the same as the mic port IOW NOT work ;)

If you want to play with this mic (it's a Drift HD) I'll send it to you.

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: July 02, 2018, 03:27:36 am
            Yeah, I'm up on HDMI. I just wondered if it worked the same as the mic port IOW NOT work ;)

If you want to play with this mic (it's a Drift HD) I'll send it to you.

You know, I thought I had the second series.  But just checked and no Mic input, so don't think it will do me any good.  Thanks for thinking of me tho.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: July 05, 2018, 07:31:46 am
My set up is a bit 'Farmer Giles', or 'Redneck', but it works. You may have seen some of my ride videos and discussions, here is what I use to film them ...

https://youtu.be/okExHYdMEs4

B.W.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #21 on: July 05, 2018, 12:17:25 pm
My set up is a bit 'Farmer Giles', or 'Redneck', but it works. You may have seen some of my ride videos and discussions, here is what I use to film them ...

B.W.

I adore your videos. I appreciate 'em even more now that I've seen the humble but ingenious gear used to make them.  I'm a big fan of making silk purses from sows' ears...story of my life.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: July 05, 2018, 01:16:59 pm

B.W.

I've watched ALL of your videos. I love them. It was many years ago now that I remember the first one and from then on I couldn't get enough of them.

I remember commenting years ago that I wished I "lived down the lane" from you back when I was trying to get this AVL to act like it was a real motorcycle. I love that rideout from your house through the village where you live.

I love HOW you ride, WHERE you ride, the houses, the trees, the fields, etc., etc..

I think you were probably instrumental (it took years) in my deciding to try a video camera. I just don't ride enough any more for it to matter and I gave the thing to my granddaughters. I made one good 14 mile ride video and don't care any more. I got it out of my system. There are already 28 million others out there. Or is it a 100 million  ??? :) :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 01:19:09 pm by tooseevee »

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #23 on: July 05, 2018, 04:28:37 pm
Shame your "First Rideout" video's to be your last, Tooseevee.  It got my "Thumb's Up" at least--if only for the "Get in your own lane!" exhortation just shy of nine minutes in--the sole commentary in the piece, and all that really needed saying throughout. Come to think of it, "Get in your own lane!" might make for a nifty ad campaign catch phrase, as in: "Royal Enfield--Get in your own lane! Fuck the herd!"...Yes, I really must copyright that baby.  And you know, it occurred to me that even that light wind noise actually makes it quite like the real thing, at least with a half-helm, doesn't it? All you'd need to really round out that whole virtual verisimilitude would be like a scratch-n-sniff "Coastal Aromas" doodad or maybe a scented "Stenches of the Bay" candle for those various salty seasidey smells you must have thundering into your nostrils during such a near-waterside snort.

I hear what you're saying about Bullet Whisperer's route through the village and all. There you can practically smell the tea roses and bangers-and-mash. It reminds me a lot of when I lived in Scotland in a farmhouse in the Borders, south of Edinburgh, quite literally in the precise middle of nowhere. If you looked at a roadmap, directly due south of the city you'd see an isosceles triangle of roads. We were located directly in the blank spot at its very center. Getting out to the main road was a progression from grass and sheep crap dodging the geese to dirt path to gravel to lumpy single-lane tarmac and then a lovely windy manicured dual-laner north through Penecuik and straight into town. I adored that ride in to work on my old police surplus Norton Commando every morning, rain or shine. Bullet Whisperer sure knows how to ride those things too, doesn't he. Watching him dive right into that wee gap between that oncoming car on the right and hedgerow to the left on that single-laner without so much as fluttering the throttle just makes me realize I'd likely need a fresh Depends® after such a maneuver. That Whisperer's a truly fearless two-wheeled badass, he is.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 05:04:12 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: July 05, 2018, 05:56:11 pm
Thanks for the kind words about my riding videos, Bilgemaster and tooseevee, hopefully more to come soon. With the current long, dry hot spell we are having, a submerged farm house in a nearby dam may soon make a rare appearance - last time was in the late eighties, if I recall correctly. If it does emerge from the waters, I would like to take a few trips on various machines to visit and maybe something on knobblies, to pose in front of the place for some photos, if the levels get low enough.
 The picture below is probably from 1976.
 B.W.