Author Topic: My First Rideout - Success and Failure  (Read 7947 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
on: June 17, 2018, 12:26:48 am
       Due to circumstances beyond my control, I have to pick my days carefully and this was that day. My first ride of the season and my first after my 80th birthday, was going to also be a video with the Ion Air Pro I 'sparamented with last Fall so I could show you guys that the Acehead AVL actually DOES run down the road and how frigging good and smooth and quick it is.

Well, I spent most of the afternoon trying to find the dam video except for two 20 min sessions of grass cutting and I got so piggin' frist I came close to throwing the laptop off the deck down onto the driveway along with the camera and going down and smashing them with my 4 pound sledge hammer.

So I took a flawless, perfect, 15 mile ride with the cam damera recording the whole thing (the green light was on). The day was poifect, the bike was flawless and fast and smooooth as usual and nobody tried to kill me BUT

I then spent most of the afternoon trying to find the video in my computer after it apparently downloaded. Tried every trick I could think of.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 02:02:53 am
tooseevee: I know the feeling!

I know you didn't ask, but - my best advice to you is: ride more, record less.  The bike is worth all the hassles; the video editing, not so much...  ;)

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 11:02:24 am
       Due to circumstances beyond my control, I have to pick my days carefully and this was that day. My first ride of the season and my first after my 80th birthday, was going to also be a video with the Ion Air Pro I 'sparamented with last Fall so I could show you guys that the Acehead AVL actually DOES run down the road and how frigging good and smooth and quick it is.

Well, I spent most of the afternoon trying to find the dam video except for two 20 min sessions of grass cutting and I got so piggin' frist I came close to throwing the laptop off the deck down onto the driveway along with the camera and going down and smashing them with my 4 pound sledge hammer.

So I took a flawless, perfect, 15 mile ride with the cam damera recording the whole thing (the green light was on). The day was poifect, the bike was flawless and fast and smooooth as usual and nobody tried to kill me BUT

I then spent most of the afternoon trying to find the video in my computer after it apparently downloaded. Tried every trick I could think of.

Search for .mp4 in your PC and that should help you spot it. These HD videos are saved in MP4 format so that's the best bet.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 06:23:55 pm
tooseevee: I know the feeling!

I know you didn't ask, but - my best advice to you is: ride more, record less.  The bike is worth all the hassles; the video editing, not so much...  ;)

Oh, I know, I know  :) Believe me, I would if I could.

As far as video goes, I resisted it a long time. I've been successful with smart phones, though. Still don't even have a cell phone. I have really good audio stuff though. That's my weakness.

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 06:34:18 pm
Search for .mp4 in your PC and that should help you spot it. These HD videos are saved in MP4 format so that's the best bet.

Yes, that I know and I think I've 1/2 figured it out. Gotta run another 'spare a ment.

I think plugging the remote audio mic in might have stopped the recording at about 10 seconds into the video (I finally did locate the 10 seconds) of a 14 mile ride.

I took a 10 minute video around the house an hour ago without the mic plugged in and it came out fine.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 06:37:51 pm by tooseevee »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 01:02:53 pm
       I think I finally got it;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELxQPdhh5mU&t=47s

The next thing is to figure out why plugging in the external mic shuts the camera down. The Ion Air Pro onboard mic gets nothing but wind noise.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 01:53:47 pm
Any chance the External Mic can be turned on in the software?
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 11:46:58 pm
Glad you got it posted, George!

I enjoyed the ride! Thanks for sharing.
You and the bike did great.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 02:43:53 pm
That is a nice ride!
I asked earlier if the cam software has a setting for enabling the external mic. Yay or nay?
Also gotta wonder now if you have a defective camera unit or mic, though. Did the mic come with the camera?Have you contacted the support team at https://usa.ioncamera.com/?
It sounds like the cut out switching is working ok when you plug the mic into the main unit, but the issue could be with a sound circuit in the cam, just a bad mic, or a software setting.

If it's a hardware issue either ION or the vendor should make it good.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 03:58:28 pm
That is a nice ride!
I asked earlier if the cam software has a setting for enabling the external mic. Yay or nay?
Also gotta wonder now if you have a defective camera unit or mic, though. Did the mic come with the camera?Have you contacted the support team at https://usa.ioncamera.com/?
It sounds like the cut out switching is working ok when you plug the mic into the main unit, but the issue could be with a sound circuit in the cam, just a bad mic, or a software setting.

If it's a hardware issue either ION or the vendor should make it good.

Thanks. Yes it is. There are hundreds of miles of blue highways in RI. I can even skip the 4-lane part if I want to. I was beginning to think none of this was worth the time or effort, but at least I got two comments out of it all. Thanks to both you and Ace.

I Googled and Youtubed and researched the hell out of cameras for six months prior to settling on and buying the Ion Air Pro (back in March, I think). There are hundreds of comments out there on the fact that the Air Pro internal mic suxx on a motorcycle. Can't use it. I knew that going in. It was the main bitch in everything I read. It picks up Nothing but wind noise when mounted on a bike.

You must have an external mic. There is an external mic input on the camera. After all the research I ordered The Most recommended external mic for the Air Pro (Drift something or other).

No, there is nothing in the software for the mic. When you plug in the external it's SupPOSed to disable the onboard mic (which is just a tiny hole in the camera body) just like when you earphone your stereo amplifier it disables the speakers.

I just have not been able to until now, but I am going out right now and settle this external mic thing. If it does shut down the camera like I was thinking previously, I'll just forget the whole thing.

I Want Motorcycle Noise, not wind noise or I'll just give the damn thing to my granddaughters to play with.  :) ;) :) ;)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 04:07:26 pm by tooseevee »

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 06:01:23 pm
Can't believe how little traffic is there. Every time I go to R.I. it's bad.  ERc
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 06:04:16 pm
Thanks. Yes it is. There are hundreds of miles of blue highways in RI. I can even skip the 4-lane part if I want to. I was beginning to think none of this was worth the time or effort, but at least I got two comments out of it all. Thanks to both you and Ace.

I don't know anything about video cameras, and I generally save watching ride footage for when I'm not working - I know, when I should be riding!  But don't be discouraged by few comments; a lot of people are looking.  For me, it's always nice to see if the grass is greener...

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 06:18:46 pm
I'm sure that camera has a small opening to let the sound for its internal mic in.

Find that opening and then get a small piece of foam rubber and some tape.
The foam should be the old normal kind.  Not the stuff scrub pads are made from.

Put the foam rubber over the mic hole and, without totally crushing the foam, tape it in place.  The foam must have some open areas showing after the tape is in place so don't cover it completely.
  Doing this will block off all of the wind noise but it will still let in the sounds.

It might look like shit but it works and that (IMO) is the important thing.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 06:43:15 pm
Can't believe how little traffic is there. Every time I go to R.I. it's bad.  ERc

That's why I go THERE :) :) ;D

I can go the Other way out of Wood Lane (where the video starts) and have you buried in traffic in 3 minutes or less. Places that were nothing in the '60s now spread out from one 4-way intersection where 6 lanes now meet from all 4 points of the compass. I hate these two sister-towns insanely now whereas I used to love the whole area.

Yes. RI is a clusterf*ck of traffic with 99 idiots per 100 drivers.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 06:51:19 pm
That is a nice ride!

Plugging in the ext mic while you're recording shuts the recording down. Just proved it a while ago.

Also tried plugging the ext mic in beFORE turning the camera On. Same thing. Will not record.

$30 some odd dollars for the recommended mic. Right.