Author Topic: Rear wheel removal.  (Read 2825 times)

Low and slow

• Scooter
on: June 12, 2018, 07:23:04 am
Copped a puncture the other day. For the life of me I cannot get the rear wheel off. Removed the axle, spacer on left side and brake calliper supprt bracket assembly. No matter what angle the wheel is tilted there isn't enough space between the brake disc and left side of swingarm ( where the key is welded on to stop the brake assembly from rotating). Hence, the wheel hub is still overlapping the cush drive rubbers so cannot withdraw the wheel. In owners manual it states to tilt the bike to the right to remove wheel. Not sure what difference that would make. Particularly as a youtube clip on line shows the reinstallation of GT wheel and it just slides into position vertically. Obviously with enough clearance between the cush drive rubbers and the brake key on the left side of the swing arm. Please help!
From Victoria Australia
Honda cbr 600rr Repsol Edition
Moto Guzzi V7
Excelsior Universal 1947
KTM RC8
Aprilia Shiver 750
Suzuki Boulavard M109R
Royal Enfield Continental GT 535

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 11:42:57 am
If you're looking at this one
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z24NHKayVpc
That's mine. It really is that easy.  I failed to show in that clip the 1" block of wood under the right side sidestand foot. That helps.  One day, I'm going to get a couple mm skimmed off the cush drive blades or grind that caliper slider thing on the swing arm a tiny bit. That'll make it even easier. Good luck brah.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 01:15:25 pm
Hi Donat - I used the “Search” function on the forum. It’s a very handy feature, that keeps us from solving the same problems repeatedly.
  Gizzo did his part in this thread dealing with the frustration of rear wheel changing.
  I clicked on Search. Typed ‘rear wheel’. Typed Guaire in the user box, since I remember I was in that thread. Limited the search to the Continental GT Forum. Hit Search.
  Here’s what came up from way back in October 4, 2016.
https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,24453.0.html

Cheers,
Bill
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 01:19:23 pm by Guaire »
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Low and slow

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 01:39:24 pm
Hi Donat - I used the “Search” function on the forum. It’s a very handy feature, that keeps us from solving the same problems repeatedly.
  Gizzo did his part in this thread dealing with the frustration of rear wheel changing.
  I clicked on Search. Typed ‘rear wheel’. Typed Guaire in the user box, since I remember I was in that thread. Limited the search to the Continental GT Forum. Hit Search.
  Here’s what came up from way back in October 4, 2016.
https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,24453.0.html

Cheers,
Bill

Sorry Bill I typed another post while you were responding. Had a look at revious posts but still not totally clear of removal of wheel method. Hence some more questions.

Thank you for such a prompt reply gizzo. The 1"block is under the right side of center stand (as looking from the back of the bike?) to tilt it so the throttle grip side is higher than the clutch lever side?
Or is it the other way around?
This does somehow change the clearances between the cush drive teeth and the brake disc assembly slider? If so, perhaps my mate could tilt the bike while I wrestle with the wheel.
From Victoria Australia
Moto Guzzi V7
Excelsior Universal 1947
KTM RC8
Aprilia Shiver 750
Suzuki Boulavard M109R

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 10:55:34 pm
The 1"block is under the right side of center stand (as looking from the back of the bike?) to tilt it so the throttle grip side is higher than the clutch lever side?

Correct.  It lets you tilt the wheel a little bit (top of the wheel to the clutch side) then wriggle it around til it pops out.  Guess there's no reason not to block both feet of the stand. Would do the same thing.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Low and slow

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 05:34:42 am
Your guidance is spot on gizzo. All worked out well with the aid of an extra pair of hands. Putting the spacer in on left side before the brake assembly helped as well.
Attached an image of the offening nail.  Burried to within half an inch of total length and yet did not go through the carcass into the tube.
Thank you again.
From Victoria Australia
Moto Guzzi V7
Excelsior Universal 1947
KTM RC8
Aprilia Shiver 750
Suzuki Boulavard M109R