Author Topic: Sprauge Clutch Snafu  (Read 2939 times)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
on: June 11, 2018, 11:10:03 pm
Been a long time since posting....Medical problems and finally able to get around to looking at GreenMachine...She's been laid up for 6 months just like me...Kickstart froze up and able to move but made God awful winding sound ..Took off Primary ..Type F good color.Small bits of metal at the bottom (see pics) ....Took out the starter and Kick start spun so much better...Teeth on the Gears that I can see look good...Looking into hump hole; that gear spins when I kickstart _ Not good as Sprauge should prevent that process...Per telecon with Kirk Demadaler it looks like the Sprauge has stop doing its job...Sound familiar...He stated I should get the gasket kit before proceeding to disassemble the outer cover and  components to get access to the sprauge and associated gearing....He thinks its a safety problem leaving it in their bouncing around with a defective Sprauge clutch....Either way, I'm in line with that kind of thinking and hate to think of a bomb going off under me or the rear wheels locking up due to a gear, etc. coming apart and binding in a bad spot....If anyone can chime in on this gasket kit or additional parts I might need to replace; pls do....I took apart the Denso starter to see any damage Pics for all to enjoy..Commutator looks good and plenty left on the 4 brushes...Wish me luck getting the stator back in properly with those spring loaded brushes at the top end....Cheers from rainy Va...
Oh Magoo you done it again

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 11:55:12 pm
That is a Sprague alright!

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 02:27:23 am
I'll be watching this thread closely, since that whole flakey spague clutch/starter Achilles heal has me spooked enough that I now VERY rarely ever use my starter...though I gather from other threads that it may also act up even when kickstarting. Is that so?  Did you use your own frequently, I wonder?

I'm a dweller of the Commonwealth as well, just south of DC.  Where are you, exactly? If it's less than an hour or so's drive, given the health issues you mention, I'd be willing to lend a hand getting her squared away. I ain't the greatest wrencher, but it ain't my first Brit bike rodeo either. Besides, I'm newly retired with a pretty clear dance card.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 01:22:38 pm
Sprag clutch failures are more common on AVL/Electra-X models, but the inconvenience is the same.

Options are repair and replace if you need to, or ditch the electric start altogether if your state of health is now back up to where you can manage without it.

Ditching the E/S can just be removal of the sprag clutch and gears with a blanking plug for the hole left in the inner primary chaincase where the starter motor sits, or you can replace the whole inner primary with one meant for a kickstart Bullet and save a few pounds in weight.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 02:19:06 pm
Bilgemaster: Just outside of Warrenton..Appreciate your offer; I got to get some tools together, order some gaskets and I would prefer to get the bike up off the ground to work on it straight on...Like u I'm retired and can take my time on removing the extraneous parts...I have the parts manual which breaks it down nicely....Per Adrian comments,  I probably used the electric start 10/15 x since 2006..Never was impressed by it...I probably should have used the decompressor more often to shut down vice the key...Either way it has to be fixed before I button the primary back up, throw in 420 ml of the red stuff and start her back up for a spin....Too bad all the clutch. alt, etc has to come out but that the way it goes....I see that Kevin is no longer in the game...Looks like parts ordering is from a dealer....That doesn't sound promising  especially for a Iron...Any other suggestions besides "Hitchcocks" or India would be nice to know....A little bird  peeps 'Texas" if that means anything....

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 02:57:23 pm
Contact Tim H. or Hitchcocks. Either way you'll get what you need.  :)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 03:04:24 pm
Bilgemaster: Just outside of Warrenton..Appreciate your offer; I got to get some tools together, order some gaskets and I would prefer to get the bike up off the ground to work on it straight on...Like u I'm retired and can take my time on removing the extraneous parts...I have the parts manual which breaks it down nicely....Per Adrian comments,  I probably used the electric start 10/15 x since 2006..Never was impressed by it...I probably should have used the decompressor more often to shut down vice the key...Either way it has to be fixed before I button the primary back up, throw in 420 ml of the red stuff and start her back up for a spin....Too bad all the clutch. alt, etc has to come out but that the way it goes....I see that Kevin is no longer in the game...Looks like parts ordering is from a dealer....That doesn't sound promising  especially for a Iron...Any other suggestions besides "Hitchcocks" or India would be nice to know....A little bird  peeps 'Texas" if that means anything....

Well, that's a bit disheartening to hear that you used the starter so infrequently, yet it still failed. That said, instead of the 420ml (as per the level hole), I've been running about 800ml of Type F in the primary, as recommended in other threads on this Forum. Maybe I'll bump that up to a full liter or quart, as some use--really bathe that stupid doodad.

As it's happens, my very favorite "mental health jaunt" on the Bullet is that Bristow Road, from 234 to that Bristow Station Civil War Memorial just shy of Nokesville Road, or about half way to Warrenton. Pretty much all those back roads thereabouts are Enfield Heaven.

Quite a while back I picked up one of those semi-craptastic Harbor Freight 1,500 lb Hydraulic Motorcycle/ATV Lifts when it was on sale, but have yet to even break it out of the box. If you think it might do for you, you're more than welcome to borrow it. Just shoot me an email or message through the Forum, and I'll be happy to haul it on over. Maybe I can do a little ethanol-free fuel run down there while I'm at, since you guys down in Fauquier County are pampered with the stuff. Over here in Prince William it's all ethanol spew.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 03:26:49 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 05:04:43 pm
Thanks for the offer on the lift..I have one of those too...It's my understanding that the newer machines (non-iron) have the better Sprauge ..Their was some C5 built that were electric start only; I would think those owners could shed more light re. their reliability..Heloeo PM me re contact info....I'll let everyone in on how it goes with pics ....FYI..I ride back country roads crossing the Rappahannock at Lakota heading west towards Sperryville  ; swing out for lunch at the tavern in Flint Hill and come back either 211 or another interesting curvy downhill into the western side of Warrenton coming out by the National Guard Armory..Its about a 1.5 - 2  hr gig depending on how long the fish n chip or Shepards Pie takes to make it to the table; not that a pint can't handle the wait... 8)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 12:45:16 am
I'm down with that fish and chips at that Griffin Tavern in Flint Hill whenever you get your ride sorted. It seems they also have other British pub fare like Bangers and Mash, which I also crave from time to time from my time yonder. Lemme know if you need anything in the meantime. I have kind of a tool fetish.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 12:32:10 pm by Bilgemaster »

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 07:24:28 pm
Just as an update, I thought I'd do a run today to that Griffin Tavern in Flint Hill, VA recommended by GreenMachine. You're a good man, Greenie...That was a real fine ride and just about the friendliest place I've ever been. Fish and Chips and a Smith's Irish Amber on draft. I'm a happy guy. Happy July 4th to all who partake!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 10:16:26 am by Bilgemaster »