Author Topic: Himalayan Comparison Test  (Read 8982 times)

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
on: June 08, 2018, 03:51:09 pm
July issue of RIDER has comparison tests of Himalayan,  BMW G310GS and Kawasaki Versus X300 ABS.

Merrill

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 05:07:46 pm
I got my hands on that issue and read the comparison test.   Pretty good assessment of what the three bikes are about.  It confirmed my decision to purchase a Himmy, but I’m not alone, the list is long..and the line starts way back there ????.......
Also they advocated for torque, explaining how real world friendly it is to ride......
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 05:12:40 pm by Merrill »

Fragman

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 01:27:28 am
My dealer got a few Himalayans in last week & I took one out today to feel 'er out. For me, the foot pegs are set too far rearward & the seat slopes a wee bit toward the fuel tank which ain't the best posture fer me. The fly screen created a flapping sound behind me helmet that sounded like I was wearing a light nylon jacket instead of the leather one I always wear.

The steering & handling was nice, but I would step up to EBC brake pads in a hurry though as the braking feels too soft fer my liking. I found a fair bit of gear whine when letting off the throttle which reminded me of the sound emitted from the first K series BMW's.

The beasty shifted well and is lower geared than a C5, which it has to be to pull a machine of similar weight. My C5 will easily out pull a Himalayan up to 70+mph.

These bikes have a look that invites a bunch of tinkering which is good. Let's see what happens with the aftermarket. I'm gonna keep me C5 fer now though as it just fits me so well.
Nothing better than a nice putt on an RE.
It's a serene way to travel at an unhurried pace.

-2013 Classic Maroon-

Merrill

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 04:18:48 am
Thanks for the report,,  the Himalayan is kind of
Scarce here in the Northwest.  I’m anxious to see one.

Fragman

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 11:55:46 pm
No worries. I should mention that the suspension didn't feel much softer than on me C5 either, but seeing that my C5 has the sprung seat instead of the solid mounted perch on the Himalayan, I can see why.

The Himalayan will suit folks that do commutes to work or the store & putt down gravel roads easily enough, but an enduro bike it ain't. Me insurance bracket here puts the Himalayan in the 401-750 zone. That's a big gap fer a big gouge. I reckon that if I get the itch fer an enduro bike (An I am.) it will be a 350 Husqvarna. Cheaper insurance and huge performance for the terrain in my area.
Nothing better than a nice putt on an RE.
It's a serene way to travel at an unhurried pace.

-2013 Classic Maroon-

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 03:45:06 pm
I would think the Himalayan would be compared more to the KLR and DR650. The BMW G310GS is a Chinese made POS and Kawasaki Versus X300 is made in Thailand, I believe. But the KLR is also made in Thailand or Taiwan.

I am a confirmed BMW hater. Both their bikes and cars always turn up at the bottom of any list of quality and reliability. The little bitty BMW might actually be better quality than the more expensive ones. My "adventure" bike is a highly modified Yamaha XT225. It has never let me down.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 10:36:22 pm
Here is another comparison test. This one by Motorcycle.com.  They compare the Himalayan with the BMW G310GS and the Kawasaki Versys X-300 and ride all three bikes down to Baja and back. The included video is entertaining. The only problem that they had with the Himalayan was that the compass didn't work right (surprise!) and the transmission lost first gear on the way back. The review includes a dyno test of all three motorcycles.
http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/three-amigos-300cc-adv-bike-comparison-bmw-g-310-gs-vs-kawasaki-versys-x-300-vs-royal-enfield-himalayan
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 10:43:13 pm by Richard230 »
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Merrill

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 05:42:53 am
Enjoyed the review... very disheartening about the transmission failure.   I really like this bike and am hoping it succeeds...   for that matter I like the Royal Enfield company and want them to succeed...
It would be a shame to lose such a fine well thought out design due to reliability issues.....
A lot hinges on the Himalayan,  possibly the future of Royal Enfield as a global player...
It is an exciting time !  I hope they make it,  I admire their philosophy and approach to motorcycle design .

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 12:16:06 pm
Merrill, you can’t ding a Himalayan?
Where do you live in the NW? My dealer has two Himalayan’s on the showroom floor as of two days ago. And I would bet more in PDI.  They are Paradise Harley-Davidson in Beaverton, Oregon. Good people to deal with. I think they’ve sold at lest twelve Himalayan so far. If you are closer to Boise, ID, Big Twin Motorcycles had two Himalayan as well. Chuck Gregg is the one to talk to there.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 12:25:41 pm by Morgan60 »
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 12:30:51 pm
Merrill, you can’t find a Himalayan?
Where do you live in the NW? My dealer has two Himalayan’s on the showroom floor as of two days ago. In white and a black one. I would also bet the have more in PDI as well. They are Paradise Harley-Davidson in Beaverton, Oregon. Good people to deal with. I think they’ve sold at lest twelve Himalayan so far. If you are closer to Boise, ID, Big Twin Motorcycles had two Himalayan as well. Chuck Gregg is the one to talk to there.
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 05:13:09 pm
Came across a brand new unregistered black/grey/white camouflage patterned Himmy today.
The model itself is not for me, just a bit too tall to get on it without running a boot over the passenger seat. I don't know if it was a brand new factory colour scheme or a workshop special but to me it looked the better option available of the three.

Merrill

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 05:36:11 pm
Morgan I purchased one from big twin in Boise around the 1st of this month.  At 750 miles the EMS light came on.  Took it back to Boise.  It’s been there 3 weeks now.   I like the dealer . I like the bike. Just hope things work out okay.   I’m in the center of wa. St. Moses Lake,  six hours to Boise one way.  For me it’s a day down , and a day back.... the bike is  terrific  To ride.    I’m choosing to stay positive  through this ordeal  ...
Also the bike won’t idle for any length of time

voodoochild

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 05:50:04 pm
Came across a brand new unregistered black/grey/white camouflage patterned Himmy today.
The model itself is not for me, just a bit too tall to get on it without running a boot over the passenger seat. I don't know if it was a brand new factory colour scheme or a workshop special but to me it looked the better option available of the three.

That sounds like the Himalayan "Sleet edition". Didn't think they'd imported any stateside. Where did you see it?
2007 500 Military 5spd

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 13, 2018, 08:10:01 pm
Mirus55 motorcycles, Gillingham, UK

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 10:27:03 pm
BTW, I was impressed when Motorcycle.com reported in their comparison that the Himalayan was able to hold a steady 80-85 mph on the freeway apparently without complaint. That had to be right at redline for the engine. I was also interested to see that the engine makes about 22 hp at the rear wheel, that is about 10% more than the 500cc models.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1