HPRE

Menu

111 Guests, 4 Users
Bmadd34, cyrusb, Bilgemaster, Wrc323

Author Topic: Himalayan Comparison Test  (Read 296 times)

hpwaco

• Grease Monkey
Himalayan Comparison Test
« on: June 08, 2018, 09:51:09 am »
July issue of RIDER has comparison tests of Himalayan,  BMW G310GS and Kawasaki Versus X300 ABS.

Merrill

• Bulleteer
Re: Himalayan Comparison Test
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 11:07:46 am »
I got my hands on that issue and read the comparison test.   Pretty good assessment of what the three bikes are about.  It confirmed my decision to purchase a Himmy, but Iím not alone, the list is long..and the line starts way back there 😬.......
Also they advocated for torque, explaining how real world friendly it is to ride......
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 11:12:40 am by Merrill »

Fragman

• Bulleteer
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 07:27:28 pm »
My dealer got a few Himalayans in last week & I took one out today to feel 'er out. For me, the foot pegs are set too far rearward & the seat slopes a wee bit toward the fuel tank which ain't the best posture fer me. The fly screen created a flapping sound behind me helmet that sounded like I was wearing a light nylon jacket instead of the leather one I always wear.

The steering & handling was nice, but I would step up to EBC brake pads in a hurry though as the braking feels too soft fer my liking. I found a fair bit of gear whine when letting off the throttle which reminded me of the sound emitted from the first K series BMW's.

The beasty shifted well and is lower geared than a C5, which it has to be to pull a machine of similar weight. My C5 will easily out pull a Himalayan up to 70+mph.

These bikes have a look that invites a bunch of tinkering which is good. Let's see what happens with the aftermarket. I'm gonna keep me C5 fer now though as it just fits me so well.
Nothing better than a nice putt on an RE.
It's a serene way to travel at an unhurried pace.

-2013 Classic Maroon-

Merrill

• Bulleteer
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 10:18:48 pm »
Thanks for the report,,  the Himalayan is kind of
Scarce here in the Northwest.  Iím anxious to see one.

Fragman

• Bulleteer
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 05:55:46 pm »
No worries. I should mention that the suspension didn't feel much softer than on me C5 either, but seeing that my C5 has the sprung seat instead of the solid mounted perch on the Himalayan, I can see why.

The Himalayan will suit folks that do commutes to work or the store & putt down gravel roads easily enough, but an enduro bike it ain't. Me insurance bracket here puts the Himalayan in the 401-750 zone. That's a big gap fer a big gouge. I reckon that if I get the itch fer an enduro bike (An I am.) it will be a 350 Husqvarna. Cheaper insurance and huge performance for the terrain in my area.
Nothing better than a nice putt on an RE.
It's a serene way to travel at an unhurried pace.

-2013 Classic Maroon-