Author Topic: Beginner questions for classic owners..  (Read 3641 times)

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 03:58:42 pm
Ralph's suggestion for the closer dealer and paying him to deliver the bike is very sound. I will second that. Also consider that if this is your first bike, and if you're not used to riding in traffic, both you and your bike might not be ready for that kind of trip.

I had a similar dilemma before buying mine. My dealer is 55 miles away via 50 mph roadways. In order to save money, I was considering riding the bike home on slower parallel streets. But forum members talked me out of it (and I'm very glad they did). Even though I had passed the MSF course with flying colors, it's different riding in real traffic conditions. With my skill level where it was then, the ride would have been harder on the bike than it needed to be and might have caused some damage.

Don't get us wrong, these bikes aren't made of glass. My Bullet with 475 miles can handle the *very rough* parkways around NYC very well. It's a very tough machine. For break-in, just use your head and don't thrash it.

Since you asked about add-ons, I would just re-suggest the English made free flow exhaust and the aluminum heatsink ring, which takes heat away from the head and header pipe. Those will keep the motor healthy and cool. That's all I did with mine. I'll add other stuff later when I know more about my needs.

Jeff
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 04:06:32 pm by jdrouin »