Author Topic: Planning long ride on my C5  (Read 43346 times)

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: June 01, 2018, 01:21:51 pm
An average of 500 miles per day for four consecutive days seems a bit ambitious to me unless you are an Iron Butt veteran. Even at 50 mph average speed that’s 10 hours continuous riding. Factor in petrol stops, eating and comfort breaks and you’ll be i the road for more than 10 hours per day. A 50 mph average on an RE is on the ambitious side too unless there are no towns or other things that impede progress. I once did a 550 mile day on a much more powerful bike and was quite knackeredat the end of it, although I did start at 4 am and had a ferry crossing. The bike will manage fine if it’s in good order but will you?
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: June 01, 2018, 02:15:19 pm
Trips like this can be done on just about any vehicle.  I know a fellow who has ridden over 1000 miles in 24 hours on a Zero electric motorcycle - earning him a long distance Iron Butt award.  He has also ridden across the U.S. several times on his Zero.  All it takes is planning, determination and stamina. (Something that I lack.)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 10:49:48 pm by Richard230 »
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: June 01, 2018, 02:50:00 pm
Indeed they can. I did the National Rally a couple of times in my younger days, totalling around 600 miles in about 16 hours, but I wouldn't do it today.......As for wearing a Bullet out on a log journey it's more likely to be short journeys that kill it off. The best thing you can do with a bike, or car, for longevity is use it. Most of the wear takes place when the engine is cold and the oil isn't up to temperature.

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: June 01, 2018, 06:27:07 pm
Bmadd34 chose the BrickHouse Spark Nano (https://www.brickhousesecurity.com/gps-trackers/spark-nano/) personal and vehicle tracker option which I have ordered and UPS 1ZE234210319141724 is delivering to me next week.  We will work with BrickHouse on activating it in a manner that allows permanent registration in Bmadd34's name after the first three months.  Its a bit complicated but I've done this before for my friends with Spark Nanos.  After operational activation and verification I will send the tracker to Bmadd34 so it should be ready for any road trips mid-June.

In the meantime Bmadd34 is going to determine forum member trip participation options.  There are three:

(1) real-time monitoring and post-trip playback on a variety of map types displayed in a web browser

(2) real-time notifications for speed, geofence, etc alerts as SMS texts on a smartphone

(3) Android/iPhone app

My friends and I only use the first two for their Spark Nano 5s (http://help.brickhousesecurity.com/#product_Spark_Nano).  For instance, I just received three speed and geofence texts as one friend left her house.  I went to my web browser, clicked on her current location, selected Street View and see that she's getting her nails done.  They can do the same for my Trackmate Mini tracker.

Did I forget to mention having a GPS tracker is a lifestyle choice?  ;D
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: June 01, 2018, 06:40:00 pm
Bmadd34 chose the BrickHouse Spark Nano (https://www.brickhousesecurity.com/gps-trackers/spark-nano/) personal and vehicle tracker option which I have ordered and UPS 1ZE234210319141724 is delivering to me next week.  We will work with BrickHouse on activating it in a manner that allows permanent registration in Bmadd34's name after the first three months.  Its a bit complicated but I've done this before for my friends with Spark Nanos.  After operational activation and verification I will send the tracker to Bmadd34 so it should be ready for any road trips mid-June.

In the meantime Bmadd34 is going to determine forum member trip participation options.  There are three:

(1) real-time monitoring and post-trip playback on a variety of map types displayed in a web browser

(2) real-time notifications for speed, geofence, etc alerts as SMS texts on a smartphone

(3) Android/iPhone app

My friends and I only use the first two for their Spark Nano 5s (http://help.brickhousesecurity.com/#product_Spark_Nano).  For instance, I just received three speed and geofence texts as one friend left her house.  I went to my web browser, clicked on her current location, selected Street View and see that she's getting her nails done.  They can do the same for my Trackmate Mini tracker.

Did I forget to mention having a GPS tracker is a lifestyle choice?  ;D
That is very generous of you. Thank you very much.
When Life hands you lemons, Squeeze them in his eyes and take his wallet.

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: June 02, 2018, 11:18:46 am
BTW I used to have an Airhawk but after 10+ years the valve started leaking. Rather than buy another I made my own sheepskin cover from a sheepskin I bought in New Zealand years ago and another bought in the UK. Essentially it's double sided, either showing brown or a brown grey white mix. I cut the same shape out of both skins and fixed press studs round the edge. I then passed a couple of straps through the gap between the two skins and fastened them under the bike saddle. Result: a really comfortable seat that surpasses the Airhawk and, should it rain while parked, is quickly reversible allowing me to sit on the dry side.

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #21 on: June 02, 2018, 12:55:34 pm
Terrain and highways will determine more than anything how far you can make it in a day.  My longest trip to date was a mere 2,300 km, give or take a few.  It was done over a period of 8 days, of which 6 were riding days and 2 were "idle" (ie - didn't travel but took care of what I'd gone to take care of).  Terrain varied from mountainous to flat, mostly mountainous.  Highways varied from 2 lane to four lane to crowded city to dirt and/or rough asphalt.  500 km a day is usually a loooong day in the Andes.  The usual average trip speed is 50 kmh (roughly 35 mph IIRC) so that keeps reasonable range fairly low.  As mentioned above, you've got to maintain 50 mph average for 10 hours a day in order to pull it off.  What terrain you'll have to navigate is what's going impact how your trip turns out.  That's 10 hours a day riding at 50 mph - without taking into account activities at each stop nor how long each shop will need to go over your bike.  Also as mentioned - make sure you stay hydrated and alert.

Can it be done? Sure!  At this stage of life I'm not interested in it myself, but wish you all the best.  Hope you share your ride with us via posts here on the forum!
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: June 02, 2018, 05:09:26 pm
I keep seeing the number 50mph as the suggested travelling speed. Is this absolutely necessary? This trip will be mostly highway with a bit of interstate riding. Is 65-70mph simply out of the question in the minds of my fellow forum members? If so, why? what would be the reason for this conclusion? I ride on hwy. 64 all the time, as it is the nearest main rd. to me. I maintain 55-60mph on it easily.

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: June 02, 2018, 05:23:39 pm
No, what we’re saying is that you’ll have to average 50mph for ten hours actual riding. To do this you’ll need to press on a bit to take account of the times when you are waiting for traffic lights to change or are in a speed restricted area like a town or city. If you are going to ride entirely on fast roads with no hold ups then it should be fine. Otherwise you’ll have to go a damn site faster than 50mph to maintain a 50mph average speed.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: June 02, 2018, 10:18:28 pm
On my B5, an indicated 70 mph seems like a reasonable cruising speed.  However, I am pretty sure that is an actual 65 mph as I know that its little speedometer lies in the hopes of making your Royal Enfield feel faster than it really is.  ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: June 03, 2018, 01:13:55 am
On my B5, an indicated 70 mph seems like a reasonable cruising speed.  However, I am pretty sure that is an actual 65 mph as I know that its little speedometer lies in the hopes of making your Royal Enfield feel faster than it really is.  ::)
I realized this when my wife followed me to my mother's one Saturday. Except mine is aprox. 10mph faster than actual speed. I have a new speedometer and speedometer drive coming under warranty.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #26 on: June 03, 2018, 01:41:03 am
I have no doubt the Royal Enfield is quite capable of traveling the distance and running at 60-65 should not really be a problem.

As for running at 75 mph for long distances at a time I can't help but think about several exhaust valve failures that have been mentioned on the forum over the last couple of years.
It seems that running the engine almost flat out for long distances has caused the valve head on a couple of UCE's to separate from the valve stem resulting in a catastrophic engine failure.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: June 03, 2018, 02:45:13 am
my thought would be 60 mph max on this ride and go the distance. faster if your close to home and look'in for trouble...LOL
its not a case of how far your going...its really the time frame to do the trip.
you have to make sure your on time and waiting....or you could look a bit foolish! so I think you have to cover your bases and ride it at a steady reliable speed. well that's what I would do
I can tell you from experience when they let go and lose power...….its immediate and your stuffed! you will drop a good 20% off top end power.
of coarse I am only talking about brand new bikes...LOL as I have no experience with used ones.
maybe the tried and proven ones are ironed out better and go the distance better.
I don't think any-one is saying the bike won't make it as there are some very high mileage bikes on the forum......just sit it on a steady 60 mph as these bikes do that pretty easy and do the forum proud. ;)

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #28 on: June 06, 2018, 05:23:27 am
For multi-day long distance on a C5 I recommend the following:

(1) tall windshield: the air blast from an upright seating position, even a lowered one, is fatiguing for arms, back and neck.  And while not as apparent, mental acuteness is reduced due to both physical fatigue and auditory fatigue.  A tallish windshield will help greatly in fatigue reduction although its lines are not traditional RE and the wind load will be felt in the handlebars.  Be that as it may, I recommend the Givi windshields, either the Universal (http://giviusa.com/givi-products/windshields/universal-windshields) or if Givi has one for the RE and your budget permits the AirFlow (http://giviusa.com/givi-products/windshields/airflow-windshields).  I haven't used either nor will I ever put a windshield on my RE (although I love the adjustable windshield on my BMW) but I am favorably impressed by Givi design and production quality and from all the pictures I've seen of REs with windshields the Givi seemed most appropriate to your needs.  Hopefully other forum members will jump in with their specific experiences.

(2) tranquil handlebar: there are two major sources of "noise" from a motorcycle: audible and physical.  The majority of physical noise on an RE are hands and butt (feet aren't too bad at least with good boots).   WRT hands there are two major aspects: the handlebar and the grips including gloves.  WRT grips I assume you are using Grip Puppies or something similar.  WRT gloves something like my thin elkskin gauntlets are inappropriate -- great road feel but you want more palm padding and finger wind protection.  WRT handlebar, you want DEAD.  I suggest you buy an open-end handlebar and fill it with lead shot per The Old Coot (https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,21998.msg247873.html#msg247873).  I'm doing that with my RE and when I'm done I'll let you know how much lead shot is required.  If you have the Halycon or similar HEAVY bar end mirrors you don't need bar end weights.  Any other mirrors you should also use bar end weights.

You are less than half my age (I'm 72) but a physical and mental training regime is mandatory.  I assume you are researching Iron Butt and similar rides in Cycle World, Motorcyclist, etc.  You should also research road racing.  When I send you the Spark Nano I'll include Keith Code's A Twist of the Wrist.  Mentally and physically your journey is like road racing from a dl/dt perspective.  I ride 100 miles/day at least 4 days a week without fatigue (don't ask about stiffness).  You should be riding at least twice that minimum.  Plus a 500 mile trip every week.  Remember you will be doing that every day for at least 4 days according to the schedule you've provided us so far.

WRT diet while on the road, boring is best.  Choose a consistent, limited meal repertoire.  That all-you-can-eat hot links and ribs special is tempting but your focus is the road.  DON'T LOSE YOUR FOCUS!

One last reminder.  If it hasn't been apparent from other forum member contributions, the human element (that's you) is the weak link not the machine (that's your RE) in this adventure.  We want your success.
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: June 06, 2018, 11:45:49 am
Thank you for all your advice Mr. Remington. I've thought of using a windshield, but my concerns would be stability. Let's face it, these critters aren't the most easy on handling. As far as conditioning, in my teens and 20's I rode as far as new York and Florida stopping only to refuel. Of course that was on a much more modern and powerful bike. As my body is now, it's probably now or never as I will probably find myself wheel chair bound within a decade according to doctors. I would never admit that to my wife or children, but that's just how it stands. I will have pain and discomfort, but I'm willing to make that sacrifice for this beloved brand.