Author Topic: Planning long ride on my C5  (Read 43333 times)

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
on: May 31, 2018, 05:53:03 pm
Okay, so my plans are to head out from my local dealership in Greensboro, and head to the dealership in Charleston S.C.. The next day head to the dealership in Marietta GA., then off to the Macon GA. dealership with sight seeing after. The next day, head to the dealership in Jacksonville Fl., and possibly one more in Fl.. I've spoken with the dealerships, and the plan is to have them advertise the ride well in advance to draw in people for the arrival, also coordinating with local media outlets. All this in hopes of spreading the word about Royal Enfield, prove the longevity of these fine machines and drum up business for the dealerships involved. We're talking a round trip of about 2,000 miles. Any input? Suggestions? Critique? Am I insane?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 05:58:24 pm by Bmadd34 »
When Life hands you lemons, Squeeze them in his eyes and take his wallet.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 07:07:34 pm
Okay, so my plans are to head out from my local dealership in Greensboro, and head to the dealership in Charleston S.C.. The next day head to the dealership in Marietta GA., then off to the Macon GA. dealership with sight seeing after. The next day, head to the dealership in Jacksonville Fl., and possibly one more in Fl.. I've spoken with the dealerships, and the plan is to have them advertise the ride well in advance to draw in people for the arrival, also coordinating with local media outlets. All this in hopes of spreading the word about Royal Enfield, prove the longevity of these fine machines and drum up business for the dealerships involved. We're talking a round trip of about 2,000 miles. Any input? Suggestions? Critique? Am I insane?

Will the dealership you're heading for come and get you if something "bad" happens?  :( :(

I would worry about not showing up on time with a bunch of people eating & drinking the last of the do-nuts & coffee  :) :)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 07:47:54 pm
           Will the dealership you're heading for come and get you if something "bad" happens?  :( :(

I would worry about not showing up on time with a bunch of people eating & drinking the last of the do-nuts & coffee  :) :)

Well, I plan to take tools and supplies like extra tubes, etc. and each dealership will go over the bike before I leave. I also plan to give myself at least a 2 hour cushion with each arrival time. Should I be particularly worried about a 2,000=- mile ride?

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 09:43:01 pm
Nothing to worry about, just go.
I am not long back from a camping weekend in the North of Scotland with a total of 800 miles in three days. I could have turned around and done it all again, and so could the bike. (C5)
Bike had done almost 12000 miles without breaking down.
How much time are you giving yourself?
Off route, recalculate?

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 12:02:29 am
Nothing to worry about, just go.
I am not long back from a camping weekend in the North of Scotland with a total of 800 miles in three days. I could have turned around and done it all again, and so could the bike. (C5)
Bike had done almost 12000 miles without breaking down.
How much time are you giving yourself?
I plan to pace it out to 4 days

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 01:15:35 am
Reasonably big days then. You'll be wanting an airhawk or some other butpad to keep you comfortable. Early starts and take your time and enjoy the journy. I have every confidence in my Enfield and yours should be no different.
Good luck.
Off route, recalculate?

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 01:23:40 am
that's 500 mile or 800 klm on the bike per day …………..congratulations anyway. but I would not like to try it on a very tight 4 day frame period UNLESS of coarse you are beaming with confidence. i'd thought 7 days would have been a better choice to carry you through the journey with extra time thrown in and peace of mind.
I wouldn't say its impossible but 500 miles a day is a pretty high set of digets. plus you have to have the bike looked over and talk to a few fans too.
on the other hand you should have a bit of an idea if you think your bike can deliver the ride schedule.
only thing I see -you must hit those target stops or there will be no second chance with any of those dealers again.
if you were just going on a 4 day run to do a 2000 mile ride - no dealer stops involved……..i'd say just get on and take the risk and ride ;)

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 01:44:47 am
I am currently still in the development phase of this ride, so things can change. I did get in contact with another larger dealership in Fl. with their own Marketing director who loves the idea, and wants to get behind the trip. Possibly sponsors the ride, coordinate with the other dealers on board and the media, and get other riders involved.

mc35803

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 03:15:17 am
500 mile days are good days on any bike.   Long days to be sure on the RE.  Consider the summer heat and your ability to stay hydrated.  The effects of heat, and heat exhaustion, are cumulative so day 3 & 4 may be a kick in the pants for you without the right amount of liquids.   Florida is known summer afternoon showers which may slow you up a bit.   Sounds like a fun ride but I agree with others view that you may want to plan additional time.   Best wishes, keep us posted.  Ride your ride!
Miles

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 04:08:25 am
Bmadd34 -- I admire your initiative and objectives.  Fair winds and following seas.

I have two recommendations:

(1) AAA Premier membership ($107) with motorcycle roadside assistance ($37).

(2) partner with a car preferably a van or pickup truck.  Your daily distance/speed/sightseeing/visiting schedule is aggressive.  You need someone on your 6.

For both your personal safety and this forum's enjoyment, I will purchase and have delivered to you for your permanent use a TrackmateGPS Mini 3G H (https://trackmategps.com/profile/OurProducts/Product?id=2042) and I will pay for your first 3 months of use.  TrackmateGPS provides free subaccounts that will allow us to watch your progress on a variety of map types.  The device is wired into Always-On power and draws milliamps of current so you needn't be concerned about battery discharge since you will be riding every day.  If you want to monitor my movements as an example, PM me and I will set you up with a subaccount.

If you don't want a permanent installation, my non-motorcycle friends carry the Spark Nano (https://www.brickhousesecurity.com/gps-trackers/spark-nano/).  Its a tad bit more expensive and requires recharging every few days but provides similar capabilities.

Let me know which you prefer and I will place the order next week.
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 05:25:31 am
You are awesome, Bert  8)

Good luck,  Bmadd! That's a big ride in a short time.  Hope you can stretch to a few more days on the road. It'll be more fun, and less stress on the Enfield, too.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 05:27:38 am by gizzo »
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #11 on: June 01, 2018, 08:24:38 am
That's a big challenge, and sounds like a great adventure, its not impossible though.
10 -12 hours a day in the saddle is going to hurt, it does even on a Goldwing! I rode nearly 500 miles each way on a weekly commute for 2 years......
I agree with the previous posts allow a little more time for stops and comfort breaks (if not break downs!), I would add an extra day at least to your itinery, if not for the bike, for you to relax and enjoy the riding adventure and not be pressurised into pushing on and hating every second of it.

Make sure you either have support and/or a good roadside breakdown assistance/recovery.
Always carry a puncture repair spray (for when it is unsafe to stop for long)and puncture repair kit/spare innertubes for when you can stop and fix it properly. add some way of inflating the tyre.
carry spare bulbs and some random nuts and bolts along with tie-wraps for the unexpected. its best to carry some bits and pieces for the unexpected and not need them, than to be stuck in the middle of nowhere wishing you had them on board.

Good luck and enjoy the Adventure  ;)
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 10:19:44 am
Bmadd34 -- I admire your initiative and objectives.  Fair winds and following seas.

I have two recommendations:

(1) AAA Premier membership ($107) with motorcycle roadside assistance ($37).

(2) partner with a car preferably a van or pickup truck.  Your daily distance/speed/sightseeing/visiting schedule is aggressive.  You need someone on your 6.

For both your personal safety and this forum's enjoyment, I will purchase and have delivered to you for your permanent use a TrackmateGPS Mini 3G H (https://trackmategps.com/profile/OurProducts/Product?id=2042) and I will pay for your first 3 months of use.  TrackmateGPS provides free subaccounts that will allow us to watch your progress on a variety of map types.  The device is wired into Always-On power and draws milliamps of current so you needn't be concerned about battery discharge since you will be riding every day.  If you want to monitor my movements as an example, PM me and I will set you up with a subaccount.

If you don't want a permanent installation, my non-motorcycle friends carry the Spark Nano (https://www.brickhousesecurity.com/gps-trackers/spark-nano/).  Its a tad bit more expensive and requires recharging every few days but provides similar capabilities.

Let me know which you prefer and I will place the order next week.

PM sent.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 12:46:15 pm
   I've done Albuquerque, NM to Aurora, CO a few times now with the C5. about 1200m round trip, with one overnighter each way. Took a couple days off in Aurora before the returns. No problems other than a loose bar end weight.   Definitely add some extra days, bring the spare tubes, fuses, VOM, a few rags, a bit of assorted hardware, some stainless wire, and any/all of the above suggestions.   Whatever you do, don't push it or yourself, and stay hydrated.
   A long trip on a bike will wear you out quickly compared to a cage.   
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 01:18:17 pm
Well, have a safe fun trip. Though I have to admit it's not exactly the epic voyage that might earn one a chapter after Vasco da Gama or make any competent marketing manager's heart go pitty-pat. I mean, what's the big headline? "Guy Rides One Of Our Bikes to Three States And Doesn't Break Down?" In fact, it seems like more of an admission of just how flakey their products can be to me. Now on the other hand, visiting ALL 40-something current dealerships in the USA, as described here, might at least be useful fodder for their website, which could frankly use some work.

I'm not gonna wear out my lovely old Bullet just so that Royal Enfield Corporate can make hay, but if they wanna give me one of their new 650s or a Himalayan and maybe a prepaid gas card, I'm retired with a wide-open dance card, and can be on my way by next week. I'll even do the Canadian ones, Eh.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 01:49:57 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.