Author Topic: Sold my bullet sixty-five  (Read 2393 times)

Merrill

• Bulleteer
on: May 29, 2018, 04:45:37 am
Bitter sweet day today,  sold my Bullet sixty-five a very special bike!  The old iron barrel Enfields can vary in build quality,  and I always considered myself fortunate to have gotten such a good one.  Really wanting the new Himalayan .  There’s just no way for me to have both,  so on to something new, which I hope is as grand as what is left behind.  I listed all my old parts on eBay,  they would be a good deal for a long term bullet owner.   I had mine for twelve great years.  Never once did it let me down!   It just ran, and ran so well.  Great memories , great fun ......
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Royal-Enfield-Bullet-500-OEM-Parts-engine-and-frame-/323277420946

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 03:32:00 pm
A sad day for sure. Hope you enjoy the Himalayan as much as the Oil Lamp. What I find mysterious is they still only get 24 hp. That is with overhead cam and fuel injection. 
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Merrill

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 08:12:27 pm
Cyrusb,  three of us used to ride up through the coulee to a little eatery for breakfast before work.  The road is a great one,  following the shoreline of several lakes.   The Bullet sixty-five was perfect for these early morning rides.  It is 30 minutes each way with very little traffic.   I would run between 55 and 65 (actual) mph.   The bike had free flow intake and exhaust ,  an Amal carb,  the rest was stock.  I guess I did have some alloy pushrods,  but that was it.  The road is winding with lots of throttle roll-on & off riding .  The Enfield was just a frame with a motor, carrying me to bacon and eggs.  The bike just ran and ran, and did it so well.  It changed many a persons opinion of the Royal Enfield.  When it came time to sell , it sold FAST !  By comparison I’ve still got a KLX 250 on the auction block,  one would think it might have sold first . Nope.    I did remove the sprag clutch and put the proper inner primary on , much cleaner look for a bike that was never intended to have E-start....  That Enfield made quite an impression around these parts.  I rode it just like I drive my old 72 Plymouth Valiant ,  as it moved me from here to there and back again.   Gave it the required maintenance and never , never, never, a single problem.    Very hard to let it go,  but I’m retired now and down sizing.  Trading two bikes for  one , which will do a little of both ( I hope) of the departed machines.  The old Iron Barrel can do far more than it can’t, whenever I hear otherwise , inwardly I chuckle...
Cyrusb,  I’ll post some of my thoughts about the  Himalayan and the HP,  rating in the Himmy section, always subject to change,  just my thoughts for today...

fxrskrsa

• Scooter
  • Yes, shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber.
Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 10:43:00 pm
Hi Merrill

Hope the new bike hits the spot. I will keep my sixty five until I cannot kick her over (like you I had the starter motor removed) Can I ask... why did you have the push rods changed? Is that a mod I should consider ?

Cheers from the UK
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history.

Merrill

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 05:28:04 am
Fxrshrsa,  I put aluminum light weight pushrods in my bullet sixty-five,  mainly because I was already into the top end addressing an oil leak. I like the idea of a light weight valve train.  That said these old motors operate at such low rpm there is really no great advantage to converting to aluminum pushrods.  I don’t recommend it, and would not do it again given the same set of  circumstances . These are great old tractor motors. Other than vintage racing ( which is great) I see no reason to hot rod the engines.  It’s all been done before and in the end you end up following the formate the bikes from Japan  pioneered.   Great evolution,  but not the charm or reason that I purchased an Enfield.  No use putting a turbo on a  turtle . Just enjoy the long stroke torque of a mild motor.  Therein lies the bullets charm.  My only recommendation would be getting the motor to breath well, low restriction intake and exhaust. Very worth while.  If I had the option I would have kept the sixty-five and gotten the Himalayan to boot. We have lots of primitive roads and trails so the Himalayan will be better suited to my type of riding.  I miss the old iron barrel bullet.  I wouldn’t buy the Himmy just for the sake of having one.  For me it is the more “practical” choice.  If that word Is even allowed in motorcycle speak......
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 06:33:15 am by Merrill »

fxrskrsa

• Scooter
  • Yes, shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber.
Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 09:36:08 pm
Hi Merrill
Thanks for the feedback. My bike already has the breather mods, so Im all done :) The only reason I would want to make changes is to improve the reliability, and as you say, the charm of the bike is more in the domain of aesthetic than production
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history.