Author Topic: oil cap questions  (Read 2298 times)

Noodlees

• Scooter
on: May 23, 2018, 10:51:58 pm
Hi there!
I've a Bullet 500 Es from 2007 (5 speed). I bought a temperature oil gauge cap that I wanna fit, changing the original oil dipstick (mine it's the threaded one). But, here the problem. The oil temperature gauge it's shorter than the original, so I wrote the shop to tell that and they say to me that my previous oil cap isn't the right one but it's from an Electra 500 that have a longer dipstick.

This fact will look not so important, but it is. I run the bike checking the oil with a longer dipstick, so the level I read is not the right one. Is always under the minimum line of the shorter dipstick.

So...can someone tell me how long is the dipstick fitted in the Bullet 500 Es (I think is the same of the  Sixty 5).

Mine is on the right

This is the Photo sent me from the shop

And another question...I think the italian manual is incorrect over some information maybe caused by an horrible translation. Here it's write the engine oil capacity is 1,5 L but some pages before, same Manual, was 1,5 Kg. I read from Snidal's Manual that the oil capacity is 2,25 L. I Need to do an oil change and with a possible wrong dipstick and wrong capacity I really dunno how much oil I must put...

P.s.: Like always, sorry for my english. I try to do my best!

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 04:01:41 am
First of all, your English is just fine. We all sniff so many fumes here that I doubt anyone has even noticed.

Anyhow, here is a photo of the dipstick from my 2005 Bullet 500ES. You should be able to see the high and low level markings at about 9mm and 14mm from the top brim:

From these Forums I understand that it is best NOT to run with the oil all the way up to the full mark, but instead a little below that--between about half and three-quarters.

According to my Royal Enfield Bullet Users Manual, she takes 2.25 liters of 15W50. They specify API "SG", but that is an obsolete designation now. I am using Mobil1 15W50 Full Synthetic, which is currently rated API SN, SM, SL, SJ, but any decent 15W50 should be just fine.

In bocca al lupo, fra'...

« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 04:47:28 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Noodlees

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 08:49:15 am
Thank you a lot Bilge!

It seem to be the same of mine...And ok for the oil tank capacity...But I run mine with a 20w50 mineral oil by Motul. There's a lot of confusion between the various manual service. The italian version say 20w50, also Snidal's, but the english owner manual say 15w50.

I found on internet this words:

"A cold 20w oil will not be thicker than cold 20 weight oil. A cold 15w oil will not be thicker than a cold 15 weight oil at the same temperature.

These "w" ratings only become important when the ambient temperature is below -15°C (5°F) which is the temperature a 15w oil is tested at. (A 20w oil is tested at -10°C)

For that reason, although Royal Enfield recommends using a 15w oil, using a 20w oil will cause no real harm at the temperatures most motorcycles are ridden at."

OT: Thank you for the "good luck" words, that we can translate (literally) like "in the mouth of the wolf". I think it's similar to the "break a leg" good luck.:) How do u know this italian greeting?

(Someone answer at that with: "Can the wolf die", or simply with a "thanks")

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 01:58:41 am
Your Motul will be just fine. It's hard to find here in America, but is the preferred engine oil for Enfields in India...by far. As for my knowledge of "il lupo", my grandfather was born Francesco Capodilupo in Sicily, before he became "Frank Wayne", like Batman's fra', fra'.

Where are you in Italy? Maybe I'll swing by there next year. I adore Italy.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 02:06:53 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Noodlees

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 09:26:30 am
So you have italian roots!

I'm from Abruzzo, in the south...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abruzzo

Abruzzo is known as "the greenest region in Europe" as almost half of its territory, the largest in Europe...and frà...It's perfect for a Royal Enfield tour!

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 04:25:34 pm
If you are just draining the oil tank and changing the filter, 1.5 liters should just about  do it assuming that you pre soak the new filter prior to installing it.
That 2.25 figure, is if you also drain the timing chest which I never do. To much of god awful mess.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 02:55:35 pm
So you have italian roots!

I'm from Abruzzo, in the south...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abruzzo

Abruzzo is known as "the greenest region in Europe" as almost half of its territory, the largest in Europe...and frà...It's perfect for a Royal Enfield tour!

That Wikipedia article really does makes it sound like Abruzzo is THE place to go in Italy. Riding down on my old '57 Zündapp Bella scooter from Berlin for vacations in the '80s, I personally never made it south of Ravenna.  I've still got that old Bella, and ideally I'd LOVE to fix her back up and putter around Italy on her again, if the shipping were reasonable. She was perfect for that sort of meandering touring..like a big sturdy Teutonic Vespa that handled great. Performance-wise, though a 2-stroke, she was not unlike a Bullet, with her cruising "happy place" at just about 90 kph (about 55 mph), and she got me over the Alps without complaint. Still, it might be more practical to just buy or rent some old beater over there.  But first, we'll need to give our last kid the heave-ho to college next year. Then the wife and I will finally be footloose "empty nesters."

So yeah. Don't be too surprised if you might hear from me in a year or two, Noodlees.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 04:31:18 pm by Bilgemaster »