Author Topic: I Done Bought A Bike!  (Read 5180 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: May 23, 2018, 04:54:58 am
After decades of talking crap about Harleys, I have gone and bought myself one.  My best friend and co-worker traded in his 2001 Road King at work for a 2005 Electra Glide.  I knew what this bike had and jumped on it immediately before it even went up and thru service.  After years of worthless credit, I actually got approved on my own after selling my dirt bike and coming up with $1K for a down payment.

As I mentioned, 2001 Road King, punched out to 95ci, 21" tubeless fat spoke front, full air ride suspension with dump and fill on rear, ground pounder exhaust, PC-V, new clutch, new Michelin Commander II tires, 14" apes, and Day Maker LED headlight.

Took her out for a few hours on Sunday and fell in love.  I close on the loan papers tomorrow morning before work and will be driving her home from work tomorrow night!  Super excited as I've never owned this nice of a bike before.  Going to have to make a trip to Wisconsin and go for ride with my dad and his V-Rod now.  :D
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 07:08:48 am
A "HARLEY" ?  --Boy, you really did fall on your head last year to go over to the dark side.  Ha, just funnin you.  Enjoy your new ride and stay safe.  Best, Scotty Brown

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 12:13:30 pm
Sweet ride, HoO!  ;D
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 01:05:56 pm
A "HARLEY" ?  --Boy, you really did fall on your head last year to go over to the dark side.  Ha, just funnin you.  Enjoy your new ride and stay safe.  Best, Scotty Brown

;D I'm not going to lie, I never thought I'd own a HD.  But since working at the motorcycle shop, they have grown on me a bit.  Truth is, I've cone to realise, most Harleys don't have that many problems.  Almost everything that comes thru the shop is mostly oil changes and tires.  Plus, I know this particular bike and know it was upkept very well.

Sweet ride, HoO!  ;D

Thanks Helo!  Next time you're in town we'll have to go for a ride.  :D

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 02:01:19 pm
That's a fine lookin' scoot. May it serve you well.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 05:35:42 pm
After decades of talking crap about Harleys, I have gone and bought myself one.  My best friend and co-worker traded in his 2001 Road King at work for a 2005 Electra Glide.  I knew what this bike had and jumped on it immediately before it even went up and thru service.  After years of worthless credit, I actually got approved on my own after selling my dirt bike and coming up with $1K for a down payment.

As I mentioned, 2001 Road King, punched out to 95ci, 21" tubeless fat spoke front, full air ride suspension with dump and fill on rear, ground pounder exhaust, PC-V, new clutch, new Michelin Commander II tires, 14" apes, and Day Maker LED headlight.

Took her out for a few hours on Sunday and fell in love.  I close on the loan papers tomorrow morning before work and will be driving her home from work tomorrow night!  Super excited as I've never owned this nice of a bike before.  Going to have to make a trip to Wisconsin and go for ride with my dad and his V-Rod now.  :D

Good for you and I wish you luck with it. I stopped caring about anything new from them after the 1980 80 inch shovel, but the newer RKs are definitely nice. My best old friend did an 8,000 mile run with his and three others a couple years ago and all he had to do was get one oil change and a little checkup at a dealer along the way. I was incredibly pissed I could not go, but i knew I'd never make it (physically). Then my next best old friend did the same thing with his wife (both on RKs) the following year with no trouble worth mentioning.

The bullshit you hear about harleys (and harley people) is just that; mostly bullshit, anecdotal and urban myth. Mostly from people who never owned or rode or even sat on one.

And you can stop saying "I will be DRIVEing her home" now :) RIDE it. Like you stole it!  :) ;)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 01:00:50 pm
             Good for you and I wish you luck with it. I stopped caring about anything new from them after the 1980 80 inch shovel, but the newer RKs are definitely nice. My best old friend did an 8,000 mile run with his and three others a couple years ago and all he had to do was get one oil change and a little checkup at a dealer along the way. I was incredibly pissed I could not go, but i knew I'd never make it (physically). Then my next best old friend did the same thing with his wife (both on RKs) the following year with no trouble worth mentioning.

The bullshit you hear about harleys (and harley people) is just that; mostly bullshit, anecdotal and urban myth. Mostly from people who never owned or rode or even sat on one.

And you can stop saying "I will be DRIVEing her home" now :) RIDE it. Like you stole it!  :) ;)

I completely agree tooseevee.  I stopped at a friend of the shops house after work with my co-worker who built this bike for a couple of beers and pizza.  On my way home I got on her hard after she was warmed up and HOLY CRAP does she scoot!  Granted, like an Enfield,she only wants to cruise at 70mph.  But she will get up to 100mph in no time!  And the exhaust is so nasty.  Nice and mellow when you're cruising, but has a real aggressive growl on hard accel and a machine gun cackle on decel.

Planned mods include Kuryakyn highway pegs, tour pack to get the wife comfy, and a back rest to get my old butt comfy.

We have a ride planned for Saturday with the afore mentioned friends and a few others.  And it sounds like I might be taking lead on my all time favorite ride that starts in the twisty Rocky Mountains and ends on back country roads.  About 4.5 hours of seat time with a stop in Woodland Park, CO for lunch.  I'm so excited and happy it's stupid.  Haha!  :D

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 01:12:10 pm
Man, wish I was up there with ya!Woodland park is a great place to stop for a bite.  ;D
'12 C5 Classic

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 12:42:57 am
I completely agree tooseevee.

We have a ride planned for Saturday with the afore mentioned friends and a few others.  And it sounds like I might be taking lead on my all time favorite ride that starts in the twisty Rocky Mountains and ends on back country roads.  About 4.5 hours of seat time with a stop in Woodland Park, CO for lunch.  I'm so excited and happy it's stupid.  Haha!  :D

Just remember it's not a Ducati. You can override unfamiliar corners
 real easy and be in deep shit.

And try to be careful you don't end up like this crippled up old bastard. And I'm worse now >:( ;) Those are old FL bars. I thought they would give me more leverage; they didn't.

I like your bars. The second picture shows the bars that were on this last baby of mine from 2003 when it first hit the street after two full years of building. That front fender was only on for a few weeks.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 12:53:03 am by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 02:38:30 am
Man, wish I was up there with ya!Woodland park is a great place to stop for a bite.  ;D

Like I said, hit me up next time you're in town.  I'm always down to ride as long as I'm available and free.  285 to 126 to 24 to 83 is such a wonderful route.  It never gets old.  Dan Kearny and I did a similar route on our Enfields a few years back but with deep back roads.  Was a glorious ride!

Just remember it's not a Ducati. You can override unfamiliar corners
 real easy and be in deep shit.

And try to be careful you don't end up like this crippled up old bastard. And I'm worse now >:( ;) Those are old FL bars. I thought they would give me more leverage; they didn't.

I like your bars. The second picture shows the bars that were on this last baby of mine from 2003 when it first hit the street after two full years of building. That front fender was only on for a few weeks.

Sweet ride!  And it's funny you mention the handling difference.  This bike actually tracks straight as an arrow with no hands.  And amazingly, it corners quite well and I can whip it around with ease.  Still getting used to the apes.  I've ridden with them before, but haven't ever owned a bike with apes.  Actually, we recently built a 2005 Honda VTX1800 with 18" apes and 6" risers.  I was actually the only person in the shop CAPABLE of test riding riding it.  It was a challenge and scary, which made it rewarding.  But I'd never ride it again.  Haha.  The owner was a big boy, but 6'8", 300 pound teddy bear.  Super nice guy and long time customer.  And was actually at my boxing match cheering me on.  :D

Riding home from work tonight a 90's BMW M series in front of me was getting on it hard from a stop light.  So, I pulled full throttle and walked him hard.  I'm pretty sure with the performance clutch and 95ci kit I could stand up the front wheel.  The torque and acceleration on this thing is ridiculous. 

I'm really considering buying a Tour Pack.  My co-worker has a blue one he will sell me for $400.  My wife has never ridden with me before, but I think if she had a backrest trunk to lean against, she'd feel a lot safer and more comfortable.  And definitely need to get a backrest and highway pegs for myself.  But I think with those additions the bike, wife and myself will be full ready for some road trips!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 06:42:39 pm
Well, I'm up a creek without a paddle now.  At first the wife didn't have a problem with me buying a bike.  Now the last few days she's been ripping me a new one and threatening divorce.  And honestly, I'm not sure if I'd be all that sad if she did leave me.  Granted I do love her and we've been together for almost 9 years.  But, I swear, I can't ever do anything right in her eyes.  And quite frankly I'm tired of being guilt tripped for every dang thing I do.

I'm seriously at a loss and don't know what to do.  I really feel like telling her that if me buying a bike is "the straw that broke the camel's back" then what's the point in pretending to make things work.  Motorcycles have been a part of my life for almost 30 of the 40 years I've been alive.  And it has always been apparent that she is completely against bikes.  Why does life have to be so difficult?

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 07:36:23 pm
Wow, that's tough Scottie!  And just a couple of days ago you were excited about outfitting the bike to travel with her!

I don't have any advice, other than to say, just don't to anything rash...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 08:04:20 pm
Well, I'm up a creek without a paddle now.  At first the wife didn't have a problem with me buying a bike.  Now the last few days she's been ripping me a new one and threatening divorce.  And honestly, I'm not sure if I'd be all that sad if she did leave me.  Granted I do love her and we've been together for almost 9 years.  But, I swear, I can't ever do anything right in her eyes.  And quite frankly I'm tired of being guilt tripped for every dang thing I do.

I'm seriously at a loss and don't know what to do.  I really feel like telling her that if me buying a bike is "the straw that broke the camel's back" then what's the point in pretending to make things work.  Motorcycles have been a part of my life for almost 30 of the 40 years I've been alive.  And it has always been apparent that she is completely against bikes.  Why does life have to be so difficult?

You have no kids, right?

All I'll say is I dealt with it for 22 years and we both realized (finally) we had to get away from each other. Don't wait 22 years.

Once the word Dee Eye Vee Oh Are Sea Eee is mentioned, it is usually a foregone conclusion.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 08:53:07 pm
            You have no kids, right?

All I'll say is I dealt with it for 22 years and we both realized (finally) we had to get away from each other. Don't wait 22 years.

Once the word Dee Eye Vee Oh Are Sea Eee is mentioned, it is usually a foregone conclusion.

Step kid in college.  2 kids in high school that still live back in Wisconsin with their moms.  No kids between the 2 of us.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: May 29, 2018, 01:08:43 pm
Well, might be able to save my marriage after all.  Went and talked to my good friend Tony and there is plenty of hot rod and home remodeling projects to be done on my weekends.  Also, we chatted about me coming to work for his commercial concrete foundation company buildings forms.  It would be good pay and I kind of miss of hard physical labor.  And being that Tony and I have been working together building hot rods for the better part of 5 years, he might start me at a higher wage than other beginners.  And who knows, he may even have other plans for me better than building forms, hard saying.  But, none the less, looks like I have some money making opportunities ahead.  And he agrees, I can't sell the bike.  It's not an option.  Haha ;D

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 02:07:16 pm
Best of luck with both, brother!  :) Good opportunities all around.
'12 C5 Classic

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: June 01, 2018, 03:13:59 am
Update on the home front:  Wife is slowly accepting that I need a bike in my life.  She's no longer irate and talking divorce.  Instead she's back to her old ways of briefly yet exquisitely ever so sarcastically taking jabs at me any time finances are brought up.

So, yeah.  Things are back to normal with the exception of now I have an awesome bike to ride, and she has new ammo for her sarcastic attacks.  ;D

On a side note, holy freaking crap are my arms sunburnt from Saturday's ride!   :o

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: June 08, 2018, 03:25:20 am
Well, it's been a full 2 weeks now and I've been riding the hell out of her.  Pretty sure my wife will never leave despite my decisions she disagrees with.  Meaning, she's no longer pissed at me and everything is back to normal.  ;D Since I've bought the bike the only miles I've put on my truck were the 6 miles I drove it home from work.  So, I should probably fire her up and get a charge on the battery.  ;)

The first 450 miles have been amazing.  I've never felt so connected with a bike before.  I'm still learning her and she wasn't thrilled with me at first, but we've certainly bonded and she treats me well.  The torque is insane.  The other night the previous owner and I were riding the to 7-11 just across the street and were sitting at the stoplight, about to green when Dan says "you lead".  We literally just have to ride thru the intersection and turn right into the parking lot.  Me being me, I start staging the bike like I'm at the drag strip, light turns green and I smoke the tire clear thru there intersection.   :o Then today riding to their local HD dealer to grab parts for a sales bike I smoked the tire again making a right turn and left another 10 foot patch.  And even with the 14" apes I can ride her like a race bike.  Honestly the only time I have trouble with the apes is when the steering is locked out backing into a parking spot.

So very happy I have this bike.  Going to replace the clutch cable and tranny fluid this weekend.  I'm also back to building Hot Rods on the weekends.  Tony and I are currently in the assembly stages on his personal '55 Bel Air coupe street rod.  427ci small block Chevy bolted to 5 speed T-5 Tremec that is getting a Fast performance fuel injection/electronic ignition set up.  Super cool unit that is intake, throttle body, distributor, coil, ignition module and ECM all in one package.  So super excited to get that installed and tuned.  Will be the first time I've taken on injection performance tuning by myself, and I'm confident I'm going to nail it.  Have a great night everyone!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 11:52:14 am
"High On Octane's Excellent Roller Coaster Ride"  ;D

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: June 08, 2018, 01:10:49 pm
"High On Octane's Excellent Roller Coaster Ride"  ;D

That pretty much sums my life up.  ;D

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 09:03:43 pm
Well, it's been a full 2 weeks now and I've been riding the hell out of her. 
....... at the stoplight, about to green when Dan says "you lead".  We literally just have to ride thru the intersection and turn right into the parking lot.  Me being me, I start staging the bike like I'm at the drag strip, light turns green and I smoke the tire clear thru there intersection.   :o Then today riding to their local HD dealer to grab parts for a sales bike I smoked the tire again making a right turn and left another 10 foot patch.  And even with the 14" apes I can ride her like a race bike.  Honestly the only time I have trouble with the apes is when the steering is locked out backing into a parking spot.

I have to be perfectly honest here. I don't approve of lighting 'em up on the street or any other crap like that. I'm no angel, but I've had to hear the bullshit about harley riders my whole life since I was 11 in 1949 and was more or less raised by an early ex-military bike club 'til I left home in 1956.

I still love 'ya and all that shit, but don't give the no-nothings an excuse to bad-mouth you. It got so bad here by the '80s I even stopped going to gas stations. I filled my cans and kept them in the garage. The whole thing had turned into a cluster-fuck of idiots on harleys and every car became dedicated to my death.   And you're right; it's none of my business how you ride.

Hang in there and the best of luck. I mean that  :) :) :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 09:10:23 pm by tooseevee »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: June 10, 2018, 05:15:23 pm
           I have to be perfectly honest here. I don't approve of lighting 'em up on the street or any other crap like that. I'm no angel, but I've had to hear the bullshit about harley riders my whole life since I was 11 in 1949 and was more or less raised by an early ex-military bike club 'til I left home in 1956.

I still love 'ya and all that shit, but don't give the no-nothings an excuse to bad-mouth you. It got so bad here by the '80s I even stopped going to gas stations. I filled my cans and kept them in the garage. The whole thing had turned into a cluster-fuck of idiots on harleys and every car became dedicated to my death.   And you're right; it's none of my business how you ride.

Hang in there and the best of luck. I mean that  :) :) :)

I don't actually screw around in traffic.  Both times no other people were present.  I'm a firm believer of saving shenanigans for country roads where there isn't another car for miles.