Author Topic: Bullet 500 downshift problem  (Read 3905 times)

GoSlash27

• Neophyte
on: May 22, 2018, 03:25:25 pm
 I bought a used Bullet 500 and it wasn't particularly well- maintained. It shifts fine when cold, but likes to hit a false neutral on downshifts when warm.
 I've noticed that the chain could use some tightening and the clutch is nearing the end of it's life. Do you folks think these will cure the problem, or is it something more serious?

Best,
-Slashy

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 04:25:46 pm
I bought a used Bullet 500 and it wasn't particularly well- maintained. It shifts fine when cold, but likes to hit a false neutral on downshifts when warm.
 I've noticed that the chain could use some tightening and the clutch is nearing the end of it's life. Do you folks think these will cure the problem, or is it something more serious?

Best,
-Slashy

I think you've answered your own question.

You have to do the basic stuff before you can conjecture about what else might be wrong. If the chain is loose and the clutch is worn out (maybe) or not adjusted right, it ain't gonna shift right.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 02:21:52 am
it would depend upon what year your bike is. I found the later models good to shift and some of the earlier units I had ….came free of charge with a box full of neutrals.
what may help - be more positive on the shift changes. don't play with it- do a nice firm change throughout the gear range
plus you could always do a bit of fine tuning on the clutch adjustment rod above the gear selector. that may help.
plus you could loosen/tighten the nut a turn or two either way and see if that helps with the clutch engagement ;D

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 02:00:22 pm
From what I've read here on the forum our clutch cable adjustment is critical.  :P

I beieve you want 2mm play at the hand lever end. More or less play gives problems. Get it right and all is well!  8)
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 10:23:15 pm
Neutral on my G5 is a bit fussy.
It is pretty easy to find it  by shifting first to 1st gear and then lightly pressing up on the gear shift lever.

Going from 2nd to neutral usually ends up with the transmission jumping over neutral and ending up in 1st gear.

As for shifting thru all of the gears, wildbill is right.
These Royal Enfields like a long, full movement of the shift lever, all the way thru the length of their travel.
Short, quick shifts that work on the Jap bikes don't work.  They usually end up causing the transmission to fail to engage the next gear and ending up in a "false neutral".
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 02:57:48 am
the positive, no-nonsense shift is crucial. sometimes it could be as simple as trying a different pair of shoes(boots).
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 04:24:40 am
Sometimes a few ounces of Marvel Mystery oil will help the situation.  Worked in mine for over 15,000 miles and still shifts smoothly. 

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 01:58:25 pm
Also, rotating the shift lever one or two splines, to raise or lower the contact point with boot may help.

I like to use the heel part of my heel - toe shift lever (from ebay) for positive shifting too.  :)
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

harshjain

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 04:52:40 pm
Sometimes a few ounces of Marvel Mystery oil will help the situation.  Worked in mine for over 15,000 miles and still shifts smoothly.
+1 for Marvel Mystery oil.
I have started using it every time I fill up gas. Also, use it every oil change.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 01:29:17 am
+1 for Marvel Mystery oil.
I have started using it every time I fill up gas. Also, use it every oil change.

Yeah, I'm down with the MMO in fuel, with a splash in the engine and primary, but get yourself one of those lovely Barnett clutch cables from the good folks in Ft. Worth, and work with that. You'll be happier in the long haul.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 06:50:15 am

My gearshift works perfectly without Marvel Snake Mystery Oil.  Would it work even more perfectlier with it? :)

More seriously, when I was running my bike bike in, I had a choice of neutrals to choose from! These days, there is only one, and it is usually in the right place.

Back in the day, as an impoverished teenager, we used to stick molyslip (molybdenum Disulphide) into 'ailing' (i.e. completely shagged) engines and gearboxes. At the recommended ratio (1 tin moly per oil change) weird stuff happened with engine oil pressure and cold starting. At low ratios (1/8 tin per oil change), things were ok, but no better than with a decent quality oil.

The only additive of any description I have ever had +ve results with was on my daughter's old Vauxhall Astra 1.4 Fuel injected hatchback.  She inherited it with 95,000 miles on the odometer from an elderly relative who had finally stopped driving. The wee car was 17 years old, but had been well maintained. It did however feel sluggish. On a mechanic pal's suggestion I stuck a bottle of Redex fuel injector cleaner in the petrol tank.  Over the next few hundred miles, the engine gradually became more sprightly, before finally performing as it should.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 02:44:48 pm
Say, whatever happened to that viscosity-improving stuff that had to be spooned out of the can and dumped into your engine?  I recall using it in my 1962 Ford Falcon, which did seem to quiet the loose engine down a bit, even if it took an hour to drain the can.  I also used it in a couple of my motorcycles just because, according to their ads, it was supposed to improve power and do all kinds of good things.  Needless to say, it really didn't do much and now the goo is no longer on the market.  I just love engine oil additives.  :-[
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 10:23:27 pm
Say, whatever happened to that viscosity-improving stuff that had to be spooned out of the can and dumped into your engine?  I recall using it in my 1962 Ford Falcon, which did seem to quiet the loose engine down a bit, even if it took an hour to drain the can.  I also used it in a couple of my motorcycles just because, according to their ads, it was supposed to improve power and do all kinds of good things.  Needless to say, it really didn't do much and now the goo is no longer on the market.  I just love engine oil additives.  :-[

STP?

We (my mom & I & many others) DID use STP in the winter in Wyoming when I was "growing up". If your cars were outside you just about HAD to have a block heater or a cooling system heater* to get the damn things started in the morning to get to work or school. There WAS a cranking speed difference if you had STP in the engine. A battery heater was a good idea, too.

*They were patched in to one of the heater hoses and worked by heat syphon (spellcheck doesn't know that word).   

My '40 Ford DeLuxe Sedan (Hunter Green) my last three years of HS had a South Wind gasoline heater. As soon as the engine was running you had HEAT! Sold it in 1956 for $750; wish I had it now.

Sorry I'm off-topic. My '08 shifts perfect(ly). Just click click click  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 10:28:00 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.