Author Topic: RE Classic 500 Pegasus Edition!  (Read 13201 times)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: May 29, 2018, 06:32:09 am
whatever way you look at it either fore or against - enfield is going to sell that 1000 bikes pretty quick.
I actually think is the best C5 they have put together( although I have only had 11 ;)
I know of 2 guys now who have laid down their deposit plus WB is not too far behind them. I just haven't decided what colour.
it was a toss up between one of these or the new 650 as both are pretty close on the money here at $10,000
overall I have more an idea on the C5 bike problem wise compared to what may lay ahead with the 650 so I guess I will probably go that way
I still think the C5 has buckets more character than the 650 and should I dare-looks more CLASSIC!

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #31 on: May 29, 2018, 07:19:42 am
You are prepared do drop $3000 rather than paint your bike? 

WB is partly responsible for RE selling 700,000 bikes last year  ;)
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: May 29, 2018, 10:52:42 am
WB is partly responsible for RE selling 700,000 bikes last year  ;)

Fair point, and of course WB's money is his own to do with as he sees fit.  But $3000 to me is not a trivial amount of money. If it is going to be spent on (effectively) a new paint job, then why not  settle on one that is a real 'bobby dazzler' from Enfield's illustrious heritage, rather than some marketing drone's idea of what constitutes 'military heritage' in 2018?   

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #33 on: May 29, 2018, 03:03:48 pm
I agree completely. But also I find the idea of using the Airborne Division's choice of a lightweight utilitarian 125cc motorbike in ww2 to try and sell a few more C5's in 2018 distasteful, and disrespectful. 

As for 'tossing my tater tots'. It is not a phrase from my native Glasgow Scotland (here we talk about "spewing your load"), but something I overheard when in Orlando, Florida, some years back.

Oddly enough, over on that Hitchcocks Motorcycles Message Board (from where I poached that lovely old image so resembling my own scoot, but with a snorkle) we've got someone with the handle "Exile" who says he served in the Airborne Brigade fairly chuffed that they're using that insignia. His only regret seems to be that they aren't also using his particular old unit's markings too. Hopefully, RE saw fit to throw a little financial support to whatever service or veterans association serves those good folks and their families when they were working out the details of using those markings.

As for "spewing your load", as a native Glaswegian are you not somehow obliged to mention diced carrots? I spent a lot of time in St Andrews, Edinburgh and the Borders, in that order, and that whole glisteny carrots trope seemed then to be a focus of Scottish national pride. I should have thought it even more acute with you west coasters...But it's now been a long while, ken?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 07:30:35 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: May 29, 2018, 04:53:28 pm
Iv been considering those RE canvas bags but just ordered these instead http://www.nazbags.com.au/product/canvas-motorcycle-panniers/

Meanwhile, over here in the "cheap seats," for just about 20 bucks American delivered you can always splurge on a pair of these canvas Stansport Saddle Bags:

Even though I've already got those swell metal panniers, in view of the mindnumbingly low price I bought a pair anyhow in olive drab (they also come in black). I figured if nothing else I'd be able to use them on my old Norton. Turns out they drape and secure very nicely over my Enfield's pillion saddle, and don't get in the way. They truly seem awfully rugged--far more so than one might have any right to expect for the price--and the fact that they're made in India also just seems sort of "right and proper".  I'd guess they might be just the ticket for someone "baggage challenged" who might not necessarily want permanently-mounted ones, but who might still like to have the option now and then of just heading for the hills for a weekender.  They'd serve well for a little light shopping too, I expect. Toss 'em over your shoulder, drape 'em on the bike, head on down to the shops, load up your tater tots, diced carrots, and Crème de menthe, haul it all homeward, back on the shoulder, and commence making a memorable and above all "colourful" evening of it!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 06:17:49 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

TheShaggyDA

• Scooter
Reply #35 on: May 29, 2018, 09:56:46 pm
I bought a pair of those panniers, cheap and cheerful, I wouldn't trust them to any kind of real weight.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: May 29, 2018, 10:42:44 pm
Thanks for the tip about the canvas saddlebags, Bilgemaster.  I just ordered a set of black bags, to match my black Bullet, from Walmart for $25, which included shipping and CA state tax.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: May 30, 2018, 12:26:05 am
Thanks for the tip about the canvas saddlebags, Bilgemaster.  I just ordered a set of black bags, to match my black Bullet, from Walmart for $25, which included shipping and CA state tax.

Well, if you like those panniers, and, like me, you like to pinch those pennies 'til Abe winces, then I believe I can guarantee you'll LOVE the rather baroquely-named Waterproof Magnetic Magnet Motorcycle Bike Oil Fuel Tank Phone Saddlebag Pouch, which I had previously described here, along with some other needful gear. Best $15 I ever spent. Mine is ever-ready in my left pannier, into which it slides as if tailor made for it. When needed, out she comes, plop atop the tank, done. No straps, bungees, clips or lanyards required (though securing clips are thoughtfully provided all the same, in the event of zero "G" occurances on some3 goofy Chinese space platform). It also comes with a swell clip-on adjustable shoulder strap for accessorizing with that little black sequined spaghetti-strap cocktail dress that I like to wear down by the wharves when the fleet comes in.

Seriously though, it may not be a full-on interstate travel hump, but here's a little bit handy and affordable elegance:

« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 05:56:09 am by Bilgemaster »

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: May 30, 2018, 01:24:00 am
Another good tip, but I already have a nice Marsee magnetic tank bag, which works well, but you really have to keep your tank paint cleaned and waxed as magnetic bags can scratch the paint if you don't take care.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: May 30, 2018, 01:36:03 am
I bought a pair of those panniers, cheap and cheerful, I wouldn't trust them to any kind of real weight.

Not that I plan on filling them with old crankshafts, and then doing a bit of off-roading, but the ones I got are double-stitched medium-heavy canvas (I'd guess maybe Number 6 weight, like the old "Army Duck" used in packs and equipment satchels), and with rivets here and there. I'm fairly confident it will get my socks to Pennsylvania in a few weeks.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: May 30, 2018, 01:58:52 am
Another good tip, but I already have a nice Marsee magnetic tank bag, which works well, but you really have to keep your tank paint cleaned and waxed as magnetic bags can scratch the paint if you don't take care.

Never fear, I'm positively obsessive about rubbing her down constantly, and never without with a tiny little "travel sized" 2 or 3 ounce re-purposed spray bottle full of this stuff from Wallyworld and a microfiber cloth:

Like I've already said elsewhere in these Forums, the stuff smells like Prom Night in Candyland. I wish they made an aftershave.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 03:12:15 am by Bilgemaster »

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: May 30, 2018, 02:16:58 pm
Bilgemaster, great minds must think alike.  I have been using Lucas SlickMist for the past several years on all of my motorcycles.  I like the stuff and the only thing that am not completely happy about is that I would like it to be more of a mist and less of a thick spray.  I thought about cutting it with something like water to make it thinner but haven't done so yet.  However, even not thinned-out, that bottle sure does last longer than similar detailers.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #42 on: May 31, 2018, 02:30:14 am
That non slip mat you put under the rug and in the cutlery drawer to stop things sliding about makes a good tank protector to stop the magnetic bag scratching the tank. It still needs to be clean, of course.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: January 16, 2019, 03:19:02 am
Just resurrecting this ancient thread to mention that I just noticed a price drop for those Stansport bags--as if they weren't already enough of a bargain. If you pull the trigger now with Amazon Prime you can currently snag the olive green/brown ones for just $19.99 with free next day delivery. The black ones are even less at $18.12, also with free delivery, but you'll be waiting a month or three for them to arrive from India.

So if you're "pannier-challenged", there's your cheap cure. Hell, I've already got  swell metal panniers on my 2005 "Military" and still used a pair of these Stansports for camping and touring last summer. Turns out they lashed quite nicely right atop and athwart the other gear, while off-season they're a handy place to store all those camping doodads. The whole plot can just dangle in the closet on a hanger 'til the daffodils bloom again as I stare balefully out the frosted windows...

« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 04:02:43 am by Bilgemaster »

Barnone

• Scooter
Reply #44 on: January 30, 2019, 03:15:15 pm
^^^^^
Thanks for the info on the black Amazon bags. Need them for my 2018 Dong Fang DF250RTG to carry my foul weather gear.
My current bags don't hold much.
Vince
2021 Ural CT sidecar
2020 Ice Bear 150 cc scooter
2021 Ice Bear 150 cc scooter
Fort Myers,FL or Robbinsville,NC