Author Topic: RE Classic 500 Pegasus Edition!  (Read 13197 times)

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 07:54:19 pm
they just tell you it's the usb... what they don't tell you: usb=under seat boyfriend!
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 09:15:34 pm
Mine's simply prettier, but sadly no more of these old "iron bellies" will be screwed together any time soon:

What year is yours? If I may ask. Also, it would appear you are in the states. You mentioned Confederate Cemetery, are you located in the South? I myself am in North Carolina.
When Life hands you lemons, Squeeze them in his eyes and take his wallet.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 09:49:49 pm
They look nice Jako, but by the time I've paid shipping etc.

I've just noticed there's no centre stand. In the pics at least.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 10:55:33 pm
I think it looks fine as a military variant.

I don't really see any resemblance to a genuine Flying Flea.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: May 25, 2018, 01:04:37 am
when I purchased my gun metal grey c5 instead of the stealth model-as both were available- it's not because I liked the grey ;D
I was thinking which one would be easier to do a complete re-spray on...LOL and the grey I thought would be easier
a couple of months ago I re-spayed my white mazda mx5 back to it's original colour of sunlight silver so the bike would be a push over.
it would certainly be pretty cheap to do the re-spray compared to sell and buy...LOL

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: May 27, 2018, 01:09:15 am
i decided yesterday if possible i'd rather have the pegusus model new rather than do a re-paint on my old one.
so its up for sale now and $3000 under what I paid for it 4 months ago
no point in both as last time I did that - I attracted guys with no bike but still had a bike license...….all were caring and wanted to ride along with so......stuff that I thought and let them buy their own!
as a last resort I will re-spray this gun metal grey job...LOL but I hope it doesn't come to that ::)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #21 on: May 27, 2018, 05:33:48 pm
    What year is yours? If I may ask. Also, it would appear you are in the states. You mentioned Confederate Cemetery, are you located in the South? I myself am in North Carolina.

Bmadd old man, put down that Mason jar! Hell, I'd already specifically invited you north a couple of weeks back as a nice halfway stopover Haven here in Virginia if you were considering heading north to that big Triumph/Royal Enfield shindig in few weeks in Pennsylvania, as you were seeking some sort of local Enfield fellowship at the time. The invitation naturally stands, and barring typhoons I'm already booked and heading up there myself. Should be a hoot!

More details on the Rally are found at: triumphnationalrally.com, and about me and the bike through my Forum profile.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 12:05:48 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: May 27, 2018, 11:59:04 pm
i decided yesterday if possible i'd rather have the pegusus model new rather than do a re-paint on my old one.
so its up for sale now and $3000 under what I paid for it 4 months ago

You are prepared do drop $3000 rather than paint your bike?  The odd thing is that folk are going for authenticity, they should slaver olive drab on their pristine C5's with a 2 inch brush, like they did back in the day.  It is the idealised concours finish on 'military' bikes that makes me toss my tater tots.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: May 28, 2018, 01:15:22 am
i didn't know that they painted those old military war bikes with a paint brush. if I don't move mine 0that could be an option and a pretty quick job too ;)

MagnusMaximus

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: May 28, 2018, 03:14:50 am
I think it’s good looking. Would I pay a premium for it? Dunno, I’d have to see it in person. But it certainly beats a lot of other bikes in the looks department and is actually reasonably practical right off the showroom floor, with included bags. Get a couple of garbage bags for waterproofing, and go camping the same day you buy the bike!

...or not, but it at least looks the part.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: May 28, 2018, 03:35:32 am
Bmadd old man, put down that Mason jar! Hell, I'd already specifically invited you north a couple of weeks back as a nice halfway stopover Haven here in Virginia if you were considering heading north to that big Triumph/Royal Enfield shindig in few weeks in Pennsylvania, as you were seeking some sort of local Enfield fellowship at the time. The invitation naturally stands, and barring typhoons I'm already booked and heading up there myself. Should be a hoot!

More details on the Rally are found at: triumphnationalrally.com, and about me and the bike through my Forum profile.

Ah, That's right. I remember now. I'm actually from Galax Virginia. Ended up here in North Carolina after I got out of the ARMY. My Wife likes it here, so here I am, LOL. I'm Still thinking on heading to PA. I went to a small gathering today in Greensboro, with some nice vintage bikes.
When Life hands you lemons, Squeeze them in his eyes and take his wallet.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: May 28, 2018, 05:52:21 pm
Ah, That's right. I remember now. I'm actually from Galax Virginia. Ended up here in North Carolina after I got out of the ARMY. My Wife likes it here, so here I am, LOL. I'm Still thinking on heading to PA. I went to a small gathering today in Greensboro, with some nice vintage bikes.

Hell, if you were already from Galax, you didn't need to join the Army to end up in North Carolina. Galax is so tight on the state line that some folks at the south end of town might end up there if they fell outta bed the wrong way! 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 11:19:33 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: May 28, 2018, 10:19:03 pm
[...snip!] The odd thing is that folk are going for authenticity, they should slaver olive drab on their pristine C5's with a 2 inch brush, like they did back in the day.  It is the idealised concours finish on 'military' bikes that makes me toss my tater tots.

What you got with my 2005 so-called "Military," pretty much right off the showroom floor, is what one might semi-conceivably have looked like a few years AFTER the thing had been sold off as War Office surplus and proudly owned for a time by some schlump just like me happy to have any motorized personal transport he could afford. He'd have been overjoyed to have it. After all, Pa worked like a dog his whole life and never had more than a bicycle. No longer concerned with German snipers, our Schlump would naturally have shined and tarted her up a bit to taste for civvie life, within reason. So, maybe a nice shiney new silencer and some other chromed bits from the knackers yard as these presented themselves to replace the dull, dented and rusty wartime gear. He might have considered having a mate paint it "proper", but first he'd have buffed up that green just as shiney as he could get it, decided it looked just fine with a bit of wax after all, and got the new wife a nice new electric kettle instead. As well as getting him to work, it would have been their little magic carpet for day jaunts into the countryside, holidays on the coast, or even over to the Continent insofar as tight currency export restrictions then allowed. When the kids started coming, maybe they'd eventually slap a sidecar onto it, but soon enough they'd be looking to get a nice comfy and practical Austin A4, Morris Minor or Triumph Herald sedan. After all, "climate", don't you know. It might then have spent some time in the garden shed, been hauled out now and again for a quick snort, until one day she wouldn't start, and so there she sat and sat and sat some more until the neighbor's kid got it for some yardwork and painting, and the whole circle of life began spinning anew with a fresh battery and maybe some new rubber, and then off to the Ace Cafe.

I know mine's nothing like the actual real deal. For that check out this marvelous tribute, but what I don't get from that new "Pigasus" is any sense at all that such a backstory as I've just spun might even be remotely plausible. It utterly lacks verisimilitude. It simply LOOKS like a modern bike done up in some half-baked faux-retro color scheme, kinda like a Hyundai painted up like that General Lee from the Dukes of Hazzard. It just looks fake, even from across the parking lot. Better to embrace that C5 model on it's own real terms, as a more modern and reliable successor to the old lineage, I'd say. But do as you like. I'll still ride with you.

Oh, and for the benefit of some of our forum members beyond the seas, perhaps I should clarify that when our man Blairio writes, "toss my tater tots," he is describing a nauseous reaction sufficient for him to expel deep-fried minced potato balls often served here as a side dish in school or other institutional meals.  A near equivalent, if less aggressively alliterative, British phrase might be, "to chunder one's mushy peas."

« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 05:49:20 am by Bilgemaster »

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: May 29, 2018, 05:51:36 am
i didn't know that they painted those old military war bikes with a paint brush. if I don't move mine 0that could be an option and a pretty quick job too ;)

I just think you have an amazing opportunity.  You have bike that is mechanically fine and incorporates all the latest revisions. For $3000 you could have it professionally repainted in any style you like - and end up with a genuine one-off machine - and have enough left over to e.g. get a custom leather seat made.  I think it would be great to go back over Enfield catalogues, picture archives etc, and settle on a really classic colour scheme that hasn't been reprised lately.

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: May 29, 2018, 06:00:40 am
what I don't get from that new "Pigasus" is any sense at all that such a backstory as I've just spun might even be remotely plausible. It utterly lacks verisimilitude. It simply LOOKS like a modern bike done up in some half-baked faux-retro color scheme, kinda like a Hyundai painted up like that General Lee from the Dukes of Hazzard. It just looks fake, even from across the parking lot. Better to embrace that C5 model on it's own real terms, as a more modern and reliable successor to the old lineage, I'd say.

I agree completely. But also I find the idea of using the Airborne Division's choice of a lightweight utilitarian 125cc motorbike in ww2 to try and sell a few more C5's in 2018 distasteful, and disrespectful. 

As for 'tossing my tater tots'. It is not a phrase from my native Glasgow Scotland (here we talk about "spewing your load"), but something I overheard when in Orlando, Florida, some years back.