Author Topic: 2014 C5 Replacement Battery Options  (Read 3397 times)

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
on: May 21, 2018, 05:48:49 pm
Hello everyone,

My factory battery has finally given up the ghost.  It's been wonky for a week now and won't crank the starter even when topped off. Looks like it's time for a replacement.  Shortly after purchasing the bike the brass negative connector sheered off the negative battery wire.  I replaced the factory connectors with heavy lugs that screw into the battery terminals.  Since the battery's terminals are inset from the back face of the battery I had to make short tubular spacers from brass for the connections.  Works great.  It's a pretty tight battery compartment as you know.  I'd like to fit a sealed maintenance-free battery with the same dimensions and factory connections and be confident that it will fit as the original.  I'd even be comfortable with a lead acid factory type replacement.  So with dimensions and terminal design in mind can you make any recommendations?  There are tons of options out there but the last think I need is to learn that the fit is close but no cigar.  Thanks everyone.  I appreciate your help. 

Regards, 

Kevin Daly

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 06:26:42 pm
Kevin -- if your budget permits I suggest the Shorai LFX14L5-BS12 I installed (https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,7829.msg299812.html#msg299812).  It's available from our host (http://www.classicmotorworks.com/shorai-lfx-lithium-battery/).

It has both side terminals used by the stock wiring and top terminals for any farkles you added.  The terminals are permanently threaded -- no loose nuts to fuss with.  If you use both top and side terminals like I do add spacing washers to the top terminals to prevent fouling of side terminal threads.
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 08:04:03 pm
Motobatt on mine. Also has screw in terminals on both sides, making it easy to fit and remove. It also takes the tension out of the cables that are too short.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 03:12:52 am
Thanks to you both for your responses. I had considered upgrading to the lithium option but it's a bit beyond my budget, considering I'd also have to upgrade my charger. The Motobatt seems like a very good option for me at this time. I was perplexed by the lack of battery terminals in many of the photos I'd seen on line so thanks for explaining the terminal system. It all makes sense now. Time to place my order. Thanks again.

Regards,

Kevin Daly

harshjain

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 07:05:45 am

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 01:44:47 pm
One advantage of the Motobatt with its additional connection terminals is being able to use the spare terminals at the front to power an electric tyre pump :)
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 04:34:14 pm
Hello everyone,

My factory battery has finally given up the ghost.  It's been wonky for a week now and won't crank the starter even when topped off. Looks like it's time for a replacement.  Shortly after purchasing the bike the brass negative connector sheered off the negative battery wire.  I replaced the factory connectors with heavy lugs that screw into the battery terminals.  Since the battery's terminals are inset from the back face of the battery I had to make short tubular spacers from brass for the connections.  Works great.  It's a pretty tight battery compartment as you know.  I'd like to fit a sealed maintenance-free battery with the same dimensions and factory connections and be confident that it will fit as the original.  I'd even be comfortable with a lead acid factory type replacement.  So with dimensions and terminal design in mind can you make any recommendations?  There are tons of options out there but the last think I need is to learn that the fit is close but no cigar.  Thanks everyone.  I appreciate your help. 

Regards, 
Kevin Daly

Motobatt - hand's down +1 and the terminals are excellent.

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

TheShaggyDA

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 08:17:47 pm
Another vote for Motobatt here, but have the black duct tape handy, they're very yellow :-)

One advantage of the Motobatt with its additional connection terminals is being able to use the spare terminals at the front to power an electric tyre pump :)

I'd thought they'd be handy when I installed mine, and promptly forgot about them. Thanks for the reminder :-)

Mad4Bullets

• Grease Monkey
  • 2014 Classic 500
Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 02:37:10 pm
The new Motobatt battery is installed and it's a real powerhouse compared to the factory lead acid battery. It's a snug fit for sure, and getting the rubber straps and outer cover refitted was challenging but I'm pleased with the result. Call me odd but I even like the yellow color peeking out in spots behind the black cover.

Thanks to all for sharing your experience and have a great Memorial Day.

Regards,

Kevin Daly

adi-4004

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 11:49:52 am
I browsed the motobatt website. Which exact model number works with UCE? This one?

http://www.motobatt.us/MB10U-Motobatt-12V-Battery

Thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 11:52:09 am by adi-4004 »
New York Metropolitan Area

2014 C5 Military Green

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 02:11:09 pm
too small - you want the mbtx14au