Author Topic: EBC Front Brake Pads  (Read 2763 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
on: May 17, 2018, 01:21:07 am
About a month ago I mentioned that the local Royal Enfield dealer sold me some front brake pads.

The rest of the story is, his parts guy was looking in the GT Continental catalog so he sold me the wrong pads.
They also did not have the pads for the normal 500cc, '09-'18 UCE's.

Although they made sounds like they would order the right ones, after a week of calling them they had made no progress, so I returned the incorrect pads for a full refund.

That got me to looking into some EBC pads.  I've always had good luck with their products.

Several Google searches showed EBC pads available and gave some conflicting numbers for the Royal Enfield brakes.  The pictures also didn't always look the same even though they seemed to have the same EBC part number.

More Google searching finally got me to a EBC page where there was a catalog I could download.

In the catalog, I found that most (but not all) of the listings on the various web sites had the right part number so I thought I would share it with you.

The EBC part number for the organic front disk brake pads is:

EBC # FA228.

Several other motorcycles (?) use these same pads so, if you don't want to buy the EBC pads, I suppose you could go to a dealer for the other brands of motorcycles and buy some of their pads.

An incomplete list of the other motorcycles is:

'96-'97 Honda CMX 250 CT, '95-'97 Honda Rebel 250, '08-'09 Kawasaki KLR650,  '06-08 Peugeot Geopolis 400, and Malaguti BLOG 160ie.

There are other makes too but I kept the list to something I was sure you guys would own.  ;D ;D

Here's a link to the complete EBC motorcycle brake pads.  It's a real PITA to find things and I eventually went towards the middle/rear of it and found a drawing and listing of the right part number.

http://www.ebc-brakes.de/downloads/EBC_Katalog_Motorrad.pdf
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 02:00:00 am
this is a great post! too bad my klr is a 2014.5 model... thanks arizoni, will probably save us all some grief!
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 04:13:32 am
Arizoni -- like some other forum members I installed EBC FA228HH on my C5 (https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,7829.msg299601.html#msg299601).  The HH are rotor-harsh sintered metallic (copper-colored backing) while the non-HH are rotor-friendly organic (black backing).  EBC also makes an EPFA-series for certain motorcycles.  I have them on the front of my BMW; not available for rear.  800 miles later and I'm happy with EBC pads.  Smooth controllable braking with immediate grip but not grabby.  The RE is sunshine-only so wet grip is unknown but on BMW almost as good as dry.  Recommended.
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 04:56:10 am
Here in the UK Hitchcock list shoes - they call them 'improved Ferodo'.  For instance for my Electra EFI:

BRAKE PADS (PAIR), FRONT, IMPROVED FERODO, ALL Electra X & EFI models up to 2016 with Pricol Brakes (NOT GT)
Code: 92559
Price: £17.50

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 10:01:16 pm
I've got a set of those Ferodo pads waiting to be installed. I think I'm on the original set as well. There's still enough left so they might last this season or if I feel the need to do some spannering I'll change them sooner.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 06:00:46 pm
Arizoni - EBC is a good choice. Through last year I worked at a local dealership in the parts department. We sold EBC for most bikes. Good quality, no bring backs.

Bill
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 07:48:06 pm
I just bought an EBC rear rotor and chelated pads for front and rear of sidecar rig.  :)

Old rear rotor had deep trenches with rounded sides...not certain why. New chelated pads may do that again due to additional friction?  ???

I just wanted good quality parts for sure stopping with wife in tub. It's good to read everyones agreement that EBC is the way to go!  8)
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.